Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 10:46 AM

42 posts, read 101,802 times

Advertisements

Miami.

oh wait you said you didn't want that.

wait.

Miami.

No, en serio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 11:02 AM

42 posts, read 101,802 times
OK that was too simple. Here is why Miami--

1) Opportunities. All of Latin America does business in Miami, and Latin America is not in recession.

2) Space. Plenty of it.

3) Quick and cheap flights to South America and Europe

Old 04-12-2013, 11:13 AM

256 posts, read 539,363 times
Thought of Seattle? It is very diverse and pace out here is just slower. There are many great suburbs to live in like Renton, Bellevue (expensive), Issaquah, University place, Redmond (even more expensive) etc.... The economy is okay could be better and all that.

Another place would be Eugene/Corvallis - They are nice college towns and really slow pace of life. Corvallis is a bit expensive but it is a great place with tons of outdoor activities etc... Eugene is bigger and you can do more shopping than Corvallis because Corvallis is a little "granola" and does not have Walmart, Safeway, Fred Meyer etc... But is does have amazing stands

The Pacific Northwest is a great place for you to consider.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:14 PM

15,331 posts, read 23,764,559 times
Depends on what you want really.

If you want a smaller, less dense version of NYC then Chicago is one option in the midwest. Compared to NYC, DC, Boston, San Fran, and LA..the cost of living is much better. Great city and really the second greatest CITY in the US. Great suburbs too. My friend from NYC just moved here and marvels at how cheap everything is. My 1 bedroom apartment (650 sq feet) in downtown in a high rise with a great view, 24 hour security staff, a gym, extremely walkable area, and right near a major train line is $1350/month and my area is the most expensive in town (although my place is under average...avg for my area is probably $1500/month). IN other areas not far away, just as much going on and active, walkable, public transit, etc you could find that for $1000/month or even less a little further out. My girlfriend's 2 bedroom, 1000-1100 sq foot place 3 blocks from Wrigley Field and tons of stuff/transit right near is $1500/month total. People are pretty damn relaxed here too.

- Minneapolis area is also good if you can deal with the cold weather in the winter. Much smaller (3-3.5 million in the metro area) and more suburban though. Cost of living there is great too and the educational system is one of the top in the US. Great suburbs as well.

- Seattle is pretty good too and COL is on par with that of Chicago, but again..smaller.

- Portland..I'd put it on par with the whole Seattle thing.

- San Fran is a great city but expensive.

- Denver...pretty good area and good COL.

Chicago is very diverse and so is San Fran, but Seattle, Portland, Denver, and Minneapolis, while they have diversity, are obviously behind Chicago and San Fran on that level.

Last edited by marothisu; 04-14-2013 at 12:23 PM..

Old 04-14-2013, 12:24 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,062,773 times
East St Louis

Sorry, I can't take a OP seriously when he/she stereotypes and turns his nose up on whole areas of a country based on ignorant heresay and such

Also try Gary Indiana

Old 04-14-2013, 01:17 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,496,870 times
I think Philadelphia. Since you are renting could you rent a place halfway in between and do the commute until you landed a good job in Philly.

Old 04-15-2013, 12:25 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,999,361 times
Why not just move to the NY suburbs - Long Island, Westchester and New Jersey all have houses with yards in quiet towns. You can join the throngs of commuters taking trains or buses to the city.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:46 PM

92,064 posts, read 122,262,393 times
Here are some CPA jobs in Upstate NY: CPA jobs in Syracuse, NY - Indeed Mobile

CPA jobs in Albany, NY - Indeed Mobile

CPA jobs in Rochester, NY - Indeed Mobile

CPA jobs in Buffalo, NY - Indeed Mobile

CPA jobs in Utica, NY - Indeed Mobile

CPA jobs in Binghamton NY - Indeed Mobile

CPA jobs in Ithaca NY - Indeed Mobile

Here are some tech consultant positions: tech consultant jobs in Albany NY - Indeed Mobile

technology consultant jobs in Syracuse NY - Indeed Mobile

technology consultant jobs in Rochester NY - Indeed Mobile

technology consultant jobs in Buffalo NY - Indeed Mobile

technology consultant jobs in Ithaca NY - Indeed Mobile

They may be worth a look if you would consider a move up here. You can find suburbs you prefer up here and even neighborhoods with the cities that would have what you are looking for too. Schools could/would help determine which way to go in that regard. A lot of times up here, the nicer city neighborhoods run into a very nice suburban area.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-15-2013 at 08:55 PM..

Old 04-16-2013, 01:09 AM

1,371 posts, read 3,037,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
No more room. We just closed the games
Are you kidding me? When I lived in Houston I saw new developments popping up everywhere, many of them remaining empty for many periods. And you don't have to drive far in Houston in order to find open spaces, many of them are right within the city limits. But then again that was 10 years, Houston has become much more desirable since then.

OP: I'd recommend Upstate NY, Michigan, or Wisconsin for you. I think your wife would enjoy it as the climate and flora is very similar to Poland. Also there are plenty of folks with Polish ancestry there, so she could find places that make her feel right at home.

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.