Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 01:25 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I think you would find St. Louis a bit less northern overall once you actually live in a city that is more solidly northern all the way around overall. Just my opinion. I should know as I've lived in many different cities and states.
I think you seem to be running out of real estate on your argument. Several posters have just proven that Cincinnati, Philadelphia, and other cities like them have climates similar to that of STL. And STL is practically on the same latitude as Cincy, and you know that. KC is on the exact same latitude as Cincy. And in terms of latitude it is not much further south than Philadelphia is either..less than 100 miles. And Indy, Columbus, KC, etc. are not all incredibly different from STL's weather either. I have relatives that lived in Cleveland for years, and I know what a northern city feels like. St. Louis fits right in with that bunch far more than it does the South. St. Louis is a Northern city before it is a Southern one, and that is beyond debate. All you have is the climate argument, and quite frankly, that's a pretty weak one as many other posters have proven. Demographically, culturally, industrially, and linguistically, St. Louis is more of a Northern city. Plus, it benefited from migrants during the Great Migration. I agree that St. Louis is not Northern like Chicago or Minneapolis, but it is nonetheless a Northern city. I once heard a term describing Kansas City, ST. Louis, Cincinnati, and Baltimore as among the southernmost Northern cities (IMO DC should be grouped into this as well.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2013, 01:33 PM

870 posts, read 1,568,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I think you would find St. Louis a bit less northern overall once you actually live in a city that is more solidly northern all the way around overall. Just my opinion. I should know as I've lived in many different cities and states.
I get what you're saying. It applies to the southern cities as well. Louisville, KY is a southern city, but Birmingham, AL is more solidly southern.

Pittsburgh is a northern city, but upstate NY cities and the upper midwest feel more northern.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:42 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post
I get what you're saying. It applies to the southern cities as well. Louisville, KY is a southern city, but Birmingham, AL is more solidly southern.

Pittsburgh is a northern city, but upstate NY cities and the upper midwest feel more northern.
This I'd agree with.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:10 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallydude02 View Post

Correct. This is what I was trying to get across in my prior post.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:34 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,028,420 times
Funny thing...whether it's a Northern thread or a southern thread they all end up being pretty much the same discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.