Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 09:41 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,746 times

Advertisements

A northerner is anyone who does NOT.......
-Live in Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia (except Atl), South Carolina.***
-Have family roots going back many, many generations in those states.
-Adhere to a traditional version of Protestant Christianity.
-Appreciate Southern culture, history and tradition.
-Take pride in the Confederate flag as a heritage symbol

***the other historically Southern states seem to be suspect these days by many people, although valid arguments can be made on their behalf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2013, 10:08 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,601,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancat100 View Post
A northerner is anyone who does NOT.......
-Live in Mississippi, Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia (except Atl), South Carolina.***
-Have family roots going back many, many generations in those states.
-Adhere to a traditional version of Protestant Christianity.
-Appreciate Southern culture, history and tradition.
-Take pride in the Confederate flag as a heritage symbol

***the other historically Southern states seem to be suspect these days by many people, although valid arguments can be made on their behalf.

So... Texans are Northerners? I'm sure they are going to be thrilled to hear the news...

Old 04-14-2013, 10:20 AM

1,567 posts, read 3,115,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
So... Texans are Northerners? I'm sure they are going to be thrilled to hear the news...
Texas is "like a whole other country."

Old 04-14-2013, 10:36 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
A Northerner is someone who moves to the Southeast from New Jersey or NYC so they can afford a bigger house and then complains because their new city isn't a clone of where they came from...nothing to do, people are "fake friendly", no Giants football TV stations, crappy pizza, people are too religious, etc., etc., etc....
Yeah that's about right.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:36 AM

1,391 posts, read 1,233,029 times
A northerner geographically is someone that lives north of, let's say, the 37th parallel. So that would include WV, VA, and KY. I personally consider these states to be geographically north.

Culturally they are all over the map. You know, because of moving.

How'd I do for my third post on City-Data?

Old 04-14-2013, 12:19 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,093,568 times
Someone either from the Midwest or Northeast is a Northerner.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:59 PM

607 posts, read 1,372,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Someone who only says "y'all" when they're imitating Southerners.
This too. It's pretty fun in my opinion.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:18 PM

152 posts, read 295,749 times
Really, guys...? I don't mean to be rude, but this is very disappointing... What I'm getting from this thread so far is that Northerners define themselves by a comparison with their stereotypes of Southerners rather than having their own unique cultural/regional characteristics. Surely there is something besides "Southern" and "not-Southern" because a lack of any other unique identity within the nation would mean the South is the standard that defines America. Which I guess might explain why everyone is so obsessed with "Southernness" if it's the standard... but surely there is something more to being Northern than a lack of "Southernness"? ._.

Old 04-14-2013, 03:49 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinx View Post
Someone who only says "y'all" when they're imitating Southerners.
Otherwise it's "you guys."

Old 04-14-2013, 03:53 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,551,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayid Linus View Post
A northerner geographically is someone that lives north of, let's say, the 37th parallel. So that would include WV, VA, and KY. I personally consider these states to be geographically north.

Culturally they are all over the map. You know, because of moving.

How'd I do for my third post on City-Data?
You can't be serious. The 37th parallel? I wouldn't even say you get a distinctive significant northern feel in most of the US until you've reached the 43rd parallel. Anything between the 37 and 39 degrees north will often have a mixture of northern and southern influences as it tends to be a transition zone of cultures. Most of Europe is located much further north than the continental US so I really have a hard time considering any geographic locale south of the 40th parallel as being signficantly "northern" by any stretch. That is why they are often thrown into the categories like Midwest or Mid Atlantic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.