U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 06:45 AM

304 posts, read 1,352,821 times

Advertisements

When we lived in Boise, we really didn't see too many insects. I think the most annoying pest we had were yellow jackets. We occasionally had some ants in the yard that would try to make it to our house, but a quick spray of Raid took care of that.

Now that we are in the Atlanta metro, we have seen all kinds of bugs....like rcsteiner mentioned in an earlier post. In our yard or around the house, we have seen about 4 different species of ants, all kinds of spiders, roaches (the flying ones are soooo not fun), carpenter bees, wasps, bumble bees, and mosquitoes, mosquitoes, mosquitoes! We have to coat ourselves in DEET from April to October anytime we go outside. Last year we saw quite a few scorpions in our garage and basement, but this year I have only seen one that was trapped in a spider web....maybe the drought is keeping them away? Too bad the drought hasn't abated the mosquitoes.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 06:47 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,017,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
are they teeny-tiny and latch onto you when they bite? I had a couple do that in my front yard and they left a welp.
probably not. I posted a map earlier of their range, and they just barely extend across the border into NC. I'd be surprised if they were in Kentucky.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:26 PM

6,749 posts, read 20,886,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Stag Beetle, maybe?
could be! I have seen some black ones like that as well.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:33 PM

20,005 posts, read 72,952,801 times
Quote:
could be! I have seen some black ones like that as well.
Are you thinking of a male Dobson Fly? Those have HUGE pincers too.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:41 PM

No, these don't fly

Old 10-31-2007, 11:36 PM
NCN

21,147 posts, read 23,606,601 times
Quote:
are they teeny-tiny and latch onto you when they bite? I had a couple do that in my front yard and they left a welp.
Yes, fire ants are really small. The biggest difference between them and regular ants is that they are very aggressive. When anything touches their hill, they attack, where other ants would more likely run.

I did my backwards reading again. If you are in Kentucky, they may not be there yet. They do not like cold weather. My husband says they adapt easily and will probably adapt to move further North soon. They do not have them yet in the Northern North Carolina Counties. If I had small children, I would treat the whole yard. I may anyway. People say that if you feed them grits, it bursts their stomachs. It didn't work for us. When you get rid of them in one spot, they show up soon in another spot.

My dh hates them just as much as I do and has been reading about them. He says that if you take the ants from one hill over to another hill and they are not related, they will fight each other and kill each other. I don't want to get that close to them. They are really fast in attacking.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native View Post
Yes, fire ants are really small. The biggest difference between them and regular ants is that they are very aggressive. When anything touches their hill, they attack, where other ants would more likely run.

I did my backwards reading again. If you are in Kentucky, they may not be there yet. They do not like cold weather. My husband says they adapt easily and will probably adapt to move further North soon. They do not have them yet in the Northern North Carolina Counties. If I had small children, I would treat the whole yard. I may anyway. People say that if you feed them grits, it bursts their stomachs. It didn't work for us. When you get rid of them in one spot, they show up soon in another spot.

My dh hates them just as much as I do and has been reading about them. He says that if you take the ants from one hill over to another hill and they are not related, they will fight each other and kill each other. I don't want to get that close to them. They are really fast in attacking.
Thank you for the info!

Old 11-01-2007, 11:52 PM

3,742 posts, read 7,581,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefs fan View Post
When we lived in Boise, we really didn't see too many insects. I think the most annoying pest we had were yellow jackets. We occasionally had some ants in the yard that would try to make it to our house, but a quick spray of Raid took care of that.

Now that we are in the Atlanta metro, we have seen all kinds of bugs....like rcsteiner mentioned in an earlier post. In our yard or around the house, we have seen about 4 different species of ants, all kinds of spiders, roaches (the flying ones are soooo not fun), carpenter bees, wasps, bumble bees, and mosquitoes, mosquitoes, mosquitoes! We have to coat ourselves in DEET from April to October anytime we go outside. Last year we saw quite a few scorpions in our garage and basement, but this year I have only seen one that was trapped in a spider web....maybe the drought is keeping them away? Too bad the drought hasn't abated the mosquitoes.

Flying roaches? And I thought the hissing Texas cockroaches were bad I hope they're an endangered species that nobody wants to preserve.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:19 AM

304 posts, read 1,352,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Flying roaches? And I thought the hissing Texas cockroaches were bad I hope they're an endangered species that nobody wants to preserve.
I think they call them palmetto bugs, or something like that. I think it's just a fancy name for a creepy bug!

Old 11-02-2007, 08:50 AM

20,005 posts, read 72,952,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
I think youre referring to the Madagascar hissing roaches, which people actually keep as pets because theyre gentle and HUGE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.