Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 07:50 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
I can't find the threads now, but in the last week or so I've noticed at least two posts stating that it's harder to live in either then Midwest or Northeast than in the South, with particular respect to cities. Was this just the opinion of those two posters, or is there any actual evidence that this is the case? I'd be inclined to go with the former since surely it must be subjective, but just the way it was worded made me wonder why they'd say it that way. They didn't say 'I think...' or 'For me...', they stated it as if it was some sort of truth. Now, I'm no fan of cold weather for more than a month, but since I can't drive, and even if I could, I'd find it far easier to live in a less sprawling city with decent public transportation, even with the cold. Maybe the cost of living is part of it too?
I've noticed Northern cities tend to be orientated uphill while most Southern cities tend to face downhill making for easier walking. If that's what you mean, then I'll go with..."harder to walk around in."

Also the wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 01:50 PM

739 posts, read 1,188,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
But let's not pretend that the only or main difference between the north and south is climate.
I'm not pretending that it is. I'm just saying that people need to understand that others have preferences, which includes climate....

Old 04-22-2013, 01:59 PM

[quote=jm02;29239004]It seems to me you are looking for a reason to be offended by this thread. If this is all it takes, then indulge yourself.

I'm not looking for it. I noticed that "y'all" in your post. lol.. What was the point?

Quote:
And again, I'm not sure which of "you guys" you are referring to. I am not part of some "vast northern conspiracy" supporting an OP (who hails from the UK, btw) with an overt anti-warm weather agenda . I am posting for myself. If you have issues with what others are posting, please take it up with them.
I'm referring to you, but also the general tone of the OP, and those who subscribe it, because you guys do prefer to live up north. My point is that those of you who do live up there should understand and accept that even though you prefer to live up there, not everyone does. The same with the south. While there those of us who do prefer to live in the south, I do understand that others like you do not. That simple.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
I think it has more to do with cost of living and stiff job competition than the weather.
I think it's all of it....

Old 04-22-2013, 02:14 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
I'm referring to you, but also the general tone of the OP, and those who subscribe it, because you guys do prefer to live up north. My point is that those of you who do live up there should understand and accept that even though you prefer to live up there, not everyone does.
I understand why people would prefer to live in the south (in fact, I preferred to live there myself for many years). If someone posted this, take it up with them. Why you keep quoting me as if I posted this is beyond me, however. Unless you can point out where I stated otherwise, I'm done wasting time engaging with you.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 04-22-2013 at 02:29 PM..

Old 04-22-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm02 View Post
I understand why people would prefer to live in the south (in fact, I preferred to live there myself, for many years, btw).
Ok.

Quote:
Unless you can point out where I stated otherwise, I'm done wasting time engaging with you.
I already pointed it out in my previous replies to you, jm02....

You generally agreed with the tone of the OP and one or two others in here regarding 'why would people think it's harder to live in the north'. In particular, the cold weather....

My point in reply, again:

people have preferences.....

Old 04-22-2013, 03:51 PM

785 posts, read 1,882,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
Emphasis on "y'all".

This quote. There is a tone of belittlement here. This statement along with the overall mindset of the OP is basically you guys not understanding how or why people would think it's harder to live up north. You guys prefer the cold northern climates. Others prefer southern warm(er) climates. It's as simple as that.
Quote:
It seems to me you are looking for a reason to be offended by this thread. If this is all it takes, then indulge yourself.

And again, I'm not sure which of "you guys" you are referring to. I am not part of some "vast northern conspiracy" supporting an OP (who hails from the UK, btw) with an overt anti-warm weather agenda . I am posting for myself. If you have issues with what others are posting, please take it up with them.
[quote=Queen Palm;29245195]
Quote:
It seems to me you are looking for a reason to be offended by this thread. If this is all it takes, then indulge yourself.
I'm not looking for it. I noticed that "y'all" in your post. lol.. What was the point?

I'm referring to you, but also the general tone of the OP, and those who subscribe it, because you guys do prefer to live up north. My point is that those of you who do live up there should understand and accept that even though you prefer to live up there, not everyone does. The same with the south. While there those of us who do prefer to live in the south, I do understand that others like you do not. That simple.

I've not once said I don't or can't understand why anyone would prefer to live in the South. All I wondered was if there was something objectively 'wrong' with the north that I hadn't thought of, and it turns out there isn't, all that is afoot here is people preferring different things.

Last edited by JMT; 04-22-2013 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: Corrected the quotes.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
=BruceTenmile
I've not once said I don't or can't understand why anyone would prefer to live in the South. All I wondered was if there was something objectively 'wrong' with the north that I hadn't thought of, and it turns out there isn't, all that is afoot here is people preferring different things.
You didn't state that it was preference, in your original post. Your inclination was leaning more towards them being "subjective".

I think in a lot of cases, it's more so preferences. Not in every case, but a lot.....

Old 04-22-2013, 05:11 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,336,999 times
Its not necessarily harder to live in the North as opposed to the South. The big cities in the North are much harder to live in than the big cities in the South though.

That being said, I have thoroughly enjoyed almost every Northern city I have visited. And I even want to move to the Bos-Wash corridor while I am still in my 20s.

Old 04-22-2013, 05:18 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,258,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
The big cities in the North are much harder to live in than the big cities in the South though.
I've lived in big cities in each region and have not found this to be true for me. Can you explain what you base your statement on. Thanks.

Last edited by Pine to Vine; 04-22-2013 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.