Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 02:20 PM

1,485 posts, read 2,251,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Move Capital...

ALASKA: From Juneau to Anchorage
FLORIDA: From Tallahassee to Orlando
ILLINOIS: From Springfield to Bloomington
KANSAS: From Topeka to Emporia
MISSOURI: From Jefferson City to Columbia
NEW JERSEY: From Trenton to Edison
NEW MEXICO: From Santa Fe to Albuquerque
NORTH CAROLINA: From Raleigh to Greensboro
SOUTH DAKOTA: From Pierre to Chamberlain
WASHINGTON: From Olympia to Bellevue
Chamberlain? Are you serious? First of all, it's way too small (only 2K people) and is nearly as isolated as Pierre is. Its only redeeming quality is that it's on I-90.

Mitchell might work, though. It's on a major interstate, it's much bigger (at over 15,000 it's the same size as Pierre at least) and much closer to the state's center of population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 05:18 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,460,012 times
Quote:
Ellensburg would be a good location for Washington St. Capital.
No it wouldn't. Most of the state's population lives west of the Cascades, and during the winter the roads through them are often closed due to snow.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:15 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I don't think Las Vegas even existed when Nevada became a state.
Yeah, it wasn't even founded until 1905. Nevada was a state in the 1860s.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:16 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Alaska has been debating for years whether to build a highway from Juneau to Skagway -- which connects with the North American road network. Just this month, funding for the road was restored after it was cut by the Senate. This gives a small idea of the wrangling involved -- and all over a 52-mile road.

But even if it's built, getting to Juneau from the rest of Alaska would involve going through Canada.
Not that I really care if they ever build that highway--but it would be one heck of a spectacular drive...

Old 04-23-2013, 06:39 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
Quote:
Move Capital...

ALASKA: From Juneau to Anchorage
FLORIDA: From Tallahassee to Orlando
ILLINOIS: From Springfield to Bloomington
KANSAS: From Topeka to Emporia
MISSOURI: From Jefferson City to Columbia
NEW JERSEY: From Trenton to Edison
NORTH CAROLINA: From Raleigh to Greensboro
SOUTH DAKOTA: From Pierre to Chamberlain
WASHINGTON: From Olympia to Bellevue

Really, why?

Raleigh is both centrally located geographically and population-wise it presents a nice balance as well.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:59 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,401,948 times
Springfield to Bloomington would be a lateral move at best...

Old 04-23-2013, 08:05 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,813,296 times
Quote:
Move Capital...
No, Santa Fe makes a good capital. It's only an hour from Albuquerque and it's historically been the center of govenment long before New Mexico was a state since the 1600's.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:12 PM

623 posts, read 958,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
Not that I really care if they ever build that highway--but it would be one heck of a spectacular drive...

True, but you can't go back once it's built. Some beautiful, wild area between Juneau and the Katzehin River. Very difficult to maintain as well. It would change the nature of that area forever. Used to be for the road, but after many trips up the Lynn Canal, can't support it anymore. Leave it as it is because there just aren't that many wild places left

Old 04-23-2013, 10:16 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Really, why?

Raleigh is both centrally located geographically and population-wise it presents a nice balance as well.
Agreed. As I stated previously, the city was founded to be the state capital because of its central location and, of course, its proximity to a tavern where the legislators met in the middle of the state.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:07 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Really, why?

Greensboro actually makes more sense to me from a modern-day aspect, being centrally located within the Piedmont Crescent where the bulk of the state's population is located and easily accessible from the mountains and coast via I-40.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.