Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 08:49 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,156,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Greensboro actually makes more sense to me from a modern-day aspect, being centrally located within the Piedmont Crescent where the bulk of the state's population is located and easily accessible from the mountains and coast via I-40.
...and Lord knows that Greensboro could use the economic stimulation.
But.....if Raleigh has to give up the capitol to Greensboro because it's centrally located in the Piedmont Crescent, Charlotte has to give up Ikea for the same reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 09:03 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,795,594 times
I would think the obvious answer to this question is Juneau. I don't think one can even drive there without taking a ferry from the Alaska Marine system through the Inside Passage first. Either that, or you are flown in.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:38 AM

996 posts, read 1,896,658 times
Albany, NY is definitely one. NYC Metro should be it's own state. As someone who was born and raised in NYC I'd definitely be for it. Upstaters don't like us and we (generally) don't seem to like them.

Though my NYC days are long gone :P So it doesn't effect me :P

Old 04-26-2013, 08:59 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
...and Lord knows that Greensboro could use the economic stimulation.
State capital status comes with a certain economic stability, but not sure if it actually stimulates anything in and of itself. See Montgomery, Tallahassee, Frankfort, Jefferson City, etc. as examples.

Quote:
But.....if Raleigh has to give up the capitol to Greensboro because it's centrally located in the Piedmont Crescent, Charlotte has to give up Ikea for the same reason.
You can't dictate what's in the best interests of a private company. The location of a state capital, however, has historically gone to places that have been deemed to be in the best interests of the state in terms of proximity to the bulk of the state's population.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:16 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Florida and Alaska have bad locations for capital cities.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:33 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,808,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Move Capital...

ALASKA: From Juneau to Anchorage
FLORIDA: From Tallahassee to Orlando
ILLINOIS: From Springfield to Bloomington
KANSAS: From Topeka to Emporia
MISSOURI: From Jefferson City to Columbia
NEW JERSEY: From Trenton to Edison
NEW MEXICO: From Santa Fe to Albuquerque
NORTH CAROLINA: From Raleigh to Greensboro
SOUTH DAKOTA: From Pierre to Chamberlain
WASHINGTON: From Olympia to Bellevue
No need to move the capital from Raleigh to Greensboro. The RDU research triangle is the second most prominent metro area in North Carolina and works well as the capital.

Missouri is unique in that it's a rather populated state that has its capital in a small town. However, I can't think of any other option being that Missouri's metropolitan areas are on the border. The only other significant city in the state is Springfield, but that is in Southern Missouri far away from the major population centers of Kansas City and St. Louis. Jefferson City works because it's virtually at the half way point between the two metropolitan areas.

While I technically agree on Alaska, I have always been fascinated by Juneau and the fact you can only reach it by plane or ferry.

Old 05-17-2016, 01:02 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HihTrw-sEzs

Old 05-17-2016, 02:46 PM

828 posts, read 691,800 times
Hartford, CT.

CT is a small state sandwiched between NY and MA. The southwestern part of CT is basically an exurb of NYC, and has less to do with Hartford than New York as a result. The northern part of the state has closer ties to Boston than it does to Hartford. The main universities in CT (Uconn and Yale) are no where near Hartford either. As as result, Hartford is almost inconsequential in its own state. Hartford is not just in a bad spot because of political geography. It is also in a terrible climate zone.

Old 05-17-2016, 02:59 PM

793 posts, read 1,111,543 times
^Wouldn't that make Hartford's location more ideal? Also, UConn and Yale are only 20 and 30 miles from the capital, respectively.

Old 05-17-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soursop View Post
Hartford, CT.

CT is a small state sandwiched between NY and MA. The southwestern part of CT is basically an exurb of NYC, and has less to do with Hartford than New York as a result. The northern part of the state has closer ties to Boston than it does to Hartford. The main universities in CT (Uconn and Yale) are no where near Hartford either. As as result, Hartford is almost inconsequential in its own state. Hartford is not just in a bad spot because of political geography. It is also in a terrible climate zone.
At least Hartford is centrally located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.