Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 05:27 PM

340 posts, read 913,816 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

With graduation showing it's beautiful face come December, it's time to think about where I want to end up. My degree is in public health which lets me work virtually anywhere. That being said, I'm looking for a place that has snowy, short winters; many golf courses; in-land lakes where fishing is good; and a socially liberal attitude.

Anyone know of such states? If so, what areas to look in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 06:02 PM

993 posts, read 1,767,118 times
If you could compromise a for a long winter instead of a short, the Twin Cities would be a great option. The winter here isn't even that bad and contrary to popular belief, it is not 6 months long.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:13 PM

340 posts, read 913,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
If you could compromise a for a long winter instead of a short, the Twin Cities would be a great option. The winter here isn't even that bad and contrary to popular belief, it is not 6 months long.
Didn't you guys just get another 5 inches? Or am I thinking of Wisconsin?

Old 04-24-2013, 06:22 PM

Yes we did. This is by no means normal though. Usually snow ends in March. But my point is no metro compares to the Twin Cities when it comes to access to lakes and if that is more important than the weather it is a good compromise. Plus you can go ice fishing during the winter!

Old 04-24-2013, 06:46 PM

93,275 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I would say Upstate NY, but I'm wondering as to what you consider to be short in terms of winter. Besides that, everything else fits. I believe that Syracuse has more golf courses per capita than any other Northeastern area: IPC: The Hospitalist Company » Career Center » Syracuse, NY (look at #5)

There are plenty of lakes and creeks to fish in, snow shouldn't be a problem and it is NY after all(more moderate up here depending in where you area). Ithaca may also fit, but there are other areas that should fit as well.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:47 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,512,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerMatt View Post
Hello everyone,

With graduation showing it's beautiful face come December, it's time to think about where I want to end up. My degree is in public health which lets me work virtually anywhere. That being said, I'm looking for a place that has snowy, short winters; many golf courses; in-land lakes where fishing is good; and a socially liberal attitude.

Bloomington, Indiana has your name written all over it.
Matches all your criteria and Monroe lake is wonderful to boat and fish on.
Plus its one of the socially liberal areas of Indiana along with Indianapolis.

Old 04-24-2013, 06:51 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,740,179 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I would also recommend Minneapolis, but of course the winters aren't short.

I don't think there's such a place that's snowy AND has a short winter.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:49 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,094,759 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

Pittsburgh fits your bill. Big medical sector, lots of good golfing options, mild winters. Not a whole lot in terms of lakes, though...

As others have said, you'll fit right in in the Twin Cities if you're ok with a longer winter. More golf courses per capita than any other metro....and, of course, the lakes...

Old 04-25-2013, 12:00 AM

15,323 posts, read 23,915,941 times
Minneapolis is a great suggestion if you can get through the winters. I grew up in the area and they are not pleasant.

I think an even better suggestion might be Madison, WI. Great city of a few hundred thousand with the U of Wisconsin, lakes around, and of course it's just a short drive to Milwaukee and a few hour drive to Chicago..and a few hour drive to Minneapolis.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:16 AM

Madison is a great suggestion too! I can't believe I didn't think of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.