Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 05:34 PM

1,704 posts, read 3,440,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzador View Post
For Des Moines it's West Des Moines. Ankeny is probably second. Polk City will probably be super hoidy-toidy in the next couple of decades with the golf course and its proximity to Saylorville Lake and Big Creek. Easily the most picturesque DSM suburb.
^^ Good points. Urbandale and Johnston are creeping up that way too.

For Minneapolis, Edina and Wayzata are the biggest "name-brand" suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 06:12 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Grosse Pointe (technically 5 separate suburbs) isn't the most affluent in Metro Detroit, but it is one of the oldest ones. It's typically called one of the "old money" suburbs.

Grosse Pointe Michigan Mansions & Landmarks - YouTube

Old 04-27-2013, 06:32 PM

2,311 posts, read 4,944,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
Grosse Pointe (technically 5 separate suburbs) isn't the most affluent in Metro Detroit, but it is one of the oldest ones. It's typically called one of the "old money" suburbs.

Grosse Pointe Michigan Mansions & Landmarks - YouTube
Thanks for sharing... I love neighborhoods like that- the playgrounds of industrial titans.

It's just hard to believe sometimes that houses like that could be built 100 years ago- before modern engineering and work methods came about- sometimes I wonder if the McMansions being built in the boomtowns of today will be held in such high esteem down the road.

Old 04-27-2013, 11:03 PM

4,413 posts, read 5,145,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Why only Millburn in NJ? Nice town, but certainly not the only one of its caliber. Why not Ridgewood or Alpine or Saddle River?
Alot of nice towns in NJ, but standing up in a forum of top caliber suburbs including the
ones not only in NJ, changes the whole dynamic.

I obviously believe that Millburn can stand up against Manhasset any day of the week.
Alpine, which is just a subdivision and country club that incorporated into a distinct municipality.
When factoring in Alpine, I would merely combine it with Closter, the same way you would combine Freehold borough, and Freehold twp..

Saddle River may be uber wealthy, it is very small not that notable to the greater NY Region. It is not of the same caliber as Greenwich, CT. NO WAY.

I will go ahead and add one more on my list;
Summit, NJ

The suburbs I looked at and where very very close to qualifying out of NJ would be;
Ridgewood
Westfield
Bernardsville
Princeton
Chatham
Mendham

Old 04-28-2013, 07:13 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,955,432 times
I wasn't thinking population either. I don't consider people making hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars as trophies over teachers and nurses, etc.....I was thinking of desirable suburbs or areas. And there are plenty of desirable suburban areas where everyone isn't eating grey popoun and drinking tea with their pinky out and eating crumpets.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:55 AM

6,509 posts, read 8,446,315 times
Virginia Beach, VA
Chesapeake, VA

Old 05-17-2014, 09:14 PM

4,413 posts, read 5,145,849 times
Let's revive folks. Things can change in a year. That includes experience and perspective.

Louisville, CO is a fantastic community, although if one lives in the Denver area with a $500,000 annual salary, where do you think they might live outside Denver. Be aware that by default, this person could very likely be plugged into the upper echelons of the social, economic and cultural institutions in the Denver area. So where would they want to live? Louisville? yes possibly but unlikely. I'm thinking more Greenwood Village if they want to be closer in or Evergreen/Boulder if they want to be out further.

Case in point, with limited resources certain commodities will become scarce, hence increase in value. This process continues and the corresponding "value" principal of our society generally computes as $$$$=== Better.

Just like a lot of rich jackasses have "trophy wives", our jackass system will have a "trophy" version of anything else deemed attributable.

So I will list my trophy towns.

NY
Bronxville
Scarsdale
Larchmont
Rye
Irvington
Chappaqua
Bedford
Greenwich
New Canaan
Darien
Westport
Manhasset
Locust Valley
Oyster Bay
Cold Spring Harbor
Garden City
Southampton
Bridgehampton
East Hampton
Millburn
Summit
Tenafly
Ridgewood
Ho Ho Kus
Saddle River
Franklin Lakes
Upper Montclair
Chatham
Madison
Bernardsville
New Vernon
Basking Ridge
Westfield
Princeton
Rumson
Spring Lake
Mountain Lakes

Hon mentions

Colts Neck
Chester, NJ
Oldwick
Ramsey
Allendale
Demarest
Tuxedo Park
Great Neck
Port Washington
Hasting on Hudson
Pleasantville
Katonah
Armonk
Briarcliff Manor
Wilton
Weston
Ridgefield

Old 05-18-2014, 07:49 AM

93,188 posts, read 123,783,345 times
In the Syracuse area, the Fayetteville-Manlius area, Skaneateles, Cazenovia, much of the Jamesville-DeWitt area, the Radisson Community in the Baldwinsville area and Onondaga Hill. Cazenovia and Skaneateles are more small town in character though.

Old 05-18-2014, 09:29 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
The Hamptons don't belong on the list. They're full of rich people who own second homes, but the year around residents are just average for Long Island standards. They're not really suburbs of NYC either, they're over 100 miles away from Manhattan; not too many weekday commuter into the city, it would be a horrible commute.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:02 AM

404 posts, read 585,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It said trophy suburbs not highest income. I wasn't expecting to see a list of highest income places when I clicked on the thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I thought trophy = best in whoever's opinion*. I didn't think it had anything to do with income or cost, though usually the best places to live tend to be more expensive.

*For example, Louisville CO wins best place to live in the Denver metro. I don't think it's one of the highest income one. Likewise, Grenwich CT is one of the most expensive NYC suburbs but it sounds rather unappealing IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Most liveable, most walkable, best parks, best public spaces and best QOL.
But like I said, some people measure everything by $$$!
I tend to think about it this way: The people with the most money have the most say in where they choose to live. Money is less of a barrier for them than it is for most people. Therefore, where they choose to live would likely be the most desirable locations without concern for cost.

Similar to how a Louis Vuitton handbag is more desirable than one from walmart even if the walmart one is more cost effective or perhaps even more functional. You'd also be far more excited to win a free Louis Vuitton than a free walmart knockoff. Hence the term trophy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.