Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Pittsburgh, Erie, and Buffalo Northeastern or Midwestern?
Northeastern 42 50.60%
Midwestern 10 12.05%
Mixed 31 37.35%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 01:08 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,124,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Sorry but OH is not on the East Coast
But 1 foot over the state line into Pennsylvania is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2014, 04:32 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
OH doesnt have a coastline on the Atlantic Ocean so therefore is not an "east coast" state.

There is a difference btwn "eastern" and "east coast". While OH is closer to the Eastern part of the country, it's not a Northeastern state. Not b/c thats what I say - bc thats just how it is.

Technically PA is not an "East Coast" state either but it is however still a Northeastern state.

Old 04-11-2014, 04:34 PM

437 posts, read 547,774 times
even within Ohio it's way different tho. Cincinnati feels kinda southern, the areas around athens are appalachian, toledo to dayton feel as midwest as u can get, cleveland feels kind of northeastern kinda midwest

Old 04-11-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
OH doesnt have a coastline on the Atlantic Ocean so therefore is not an "east coast" state.

There is a difference btwn "eastern" and "east coast". While OH is closer to the Eastern part of the country, it's not a Northeastern state. Not b/c thats what I say - bc thats just how it is.

Technically PA is not an "East Coast" state either but it is however still a Northeastern state.
State borders don't necessarily reflect cultural borders. Yes, literally, all of Ohio is not near the coast, so in that sense it's not east coast of course. However, that's obvious, and wasn't really what I understood the question to be. I think the question has more to do with culture, and whether you would consider these cities to be culturally Eastern or Midwestern.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:21 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Yep.
Nope. The people I know from the I 95 corridor consider Pittsburgh the Northeast.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:03 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
That makes no sense. If I'm in Ohio and walk 10 feet over the border into identical Pennsylvania, I'm in the East? Historical cultural influences have more to do with regional identity than state lines. Northeast Ohio is East of many points that are considered East Coast (such as North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida) so why does it automatically become Midwest just because it resides in a state that has been given some arbitrary label of Midwest.
Having lived in way western PA (about 15 miles or so from Ohio), I can tell you, we still thought Ohio was a different state! I don't know if anyone questioned whether it is eastern or midwestern, but it was OHIO! It was different.

Quote:
I don't really know why you can't wrap your mind around that. There have to be arbitrary borders.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:06 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
State borders don't necessarily reflect cultural borders. Yes, literally, all of Ohio is not near the coast, so in that sense it's not east coast of course. However, that's obvious, and wasn't really what I understood the question to be. I think the question has more to do with culture, and whether you would consider these cities to be culturally Eastern or Midwestern.
I live in the East. It's not culturally Eastern.

Old 04-12-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I live in the East. It's not culturally Eastern.
Well, I think that's why this question is being asked. If it was just "which states are touching the ocean" all you would have to do is look at a map. There's no debate there.

Old 04-12-2014, 10:00 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,152,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Having lived in way western PA (about 15 miles or so from Ohio), I can tell you, we still thought Ohio was a different state! I don't know if anyone questioned whether it is eastern or midwestern, but it was OHIO! It was different.
I agree with this. It definitely has a different feel than Western PA.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:32 PM

437 posts, read 547,774 times
[quote=Katiana;34329784]Having lived in way western PA (about 15 miles or so from Ohio), I can tell you, we still thought Ohio was a different state! I don't know if anyone questioned whether it is eastern or midwestern, but it was OHIO! It was different.

Yeah I always feel that way too. Ohio just feels a lot more boring than Western PA even when you just cross the border...but Ohio feels better the further south you go but still pretty boring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.