Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Pittsburgh, Erie, and Buffalo Northeastern or Midwestern?
Northeastern 42 50.60%
Midwestern 10 12.05%
Mixed 31 37.35%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2016, 07:26 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayCB View Post
Pittsburgh doesn't strike me as "East Coast" at all. It's actually very Appalachia with some Midwestern influences. Erie and Buffalo strike me as more Midwestern, too. You could group these cities in with Cleveland and Detroit based off similarities, really. Cincinnati and Pittsburgh are similar, too. East Coast cities like DC, Baltimore, and Philly are very different.
Northeastern and "East Coast" aren't necessarily the same and I think this is the issue, as people are getting this confused. Hence the recent term of "Interior Northeast".

It is the same with Great Lakes and Midwestern or even the parts of the the Midwest that are in the Great Lakes region versus what is generally considered to be Midwestern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2016, 07:59 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,720,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Northeastern and "East Coast" aren't necessarily the same and I think this is the issue, as people are getting this confused. Hence the recent term of "Interior Northeast".

It is the same with Great Lakes and Midwestern or even the parts of the the Midwest that are in the Great Lakes region versus what is generally considered to be Midwestern.
Agree. Northern New England is very different from the NYC area and yet few have difficulty grasping that both are "Northeastern."

Old 01-21-2016, 06:28 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post

Northeast or Midwest are geographic areas, largely defined by convention and the U.S. Census.

In contrast "Great Lakes" or "Appalachia" are cultural areas which run through and across various U.S. states.

Old 01-21-2016, 06:55 AM

32,095 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post
Agree. Northern New England is very different from the NYC area and yet few have difficulty grasping that both are "Northeastern."
The argument isn't that Pittsburgh isn't in a geographically Northeastern state. The argument is why not treat these cities the same way we do Baltimore and DC where we ignore "arbitrary state lines" and group them with cities to the North instead of the South. If the Maryland-Pennsylvania border is arbitrary when it comes to the "Northeasterness" of Baltimore and DC, then it stands to reason that the Ohio-New York-Pennsylvania border would be equally arbitrary in classifying Buffalo, Cleveland, Erie or Pittsburgh one way or the other.

Old 01-21-2016, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
In my experience, it doesn't cut too differently offline either. The only people I ever hear argue that Pittsburgh is in the Midwest are transplants from the East Coast who have only been here a year or two. Even the most dyed-in-the-wool yinzer types (who you would presume would have the least East Coast traits) hate being called part of the Midwest.
This blogger says a sure fire way to **** someone from Pittsburgh off is to call it a Midwestern city.

Quote:
Look, son, Ohio is part of the Midwest. They have the flat nasal accents and the somewhat red-state values to prove it. Pittsburgh is part of the Northeastern states and is a lot closer to New York than Nebraska in behavioural patterns, the artistic community, and tech influences.
http://matadornetwork.com/life/****-someone-pittsburgh/

My question is why. Is it simply a matter of Pittsburghers being sticklers about geography? Or do they prefer the connotations of cosmopolitan Washington over those of provincial Cleveland?

Old 01-21-2016, 08:19 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
The argument isn't that Pittsburgh isn't in a geographically Northeastern state. The argument is why not treat these cities the same way we do Baltimore and DC where we ignore "arbitrary state lines" and group them with cities to the North instead of the South. If the Maryland-Pennsylvania border is arbitrary when it comes to the "Northeasterness" of Baltimore and DC, then it stands to reason that the Ohio-New York-Pennsylvania border would be equally arbitrary in classifying Buffalo, Cleveland, Erie or Pittsburgh one way or the other.
Weren't you arguing against considering Baltimore and DC part of the Northeast in the past though? Doesn't that mean you should let the people who made that argument drive home the point?

Old 01-21-2016, 09:07 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

My question is why. Is it simply a matter of Pittsburghers being sticklers about geography? Or do they prefer the connotations of cosmopolitan Washington over those of provincial Cleveland?
Odd, western New York doesn't seem to have strong feelings either way. And some do like to say they're more midwestern, more to emphasize "we're not like NYC".

Old 01-21-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Weren't you arguing against considering Baltimore and DC part of the Northeast in the past though? Doesn't that mean you should let the people who made that argument drive home the point?
I don't think they are Northeastern cities. I'm saying that posters use that logic when it applies to DC and Baltimore but *don't* use that logic when it applies to Buffalo and Cleveland. So if DC can be Northeastern, which is a view taken by many C-D posters, then Cleveland can be Northeastern or Buffalo can be Midwestern. If we're going to argue that state lines are arbitrary, then I don't see how those possibilities can be denied.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:17 AM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Odd, western New York doesn't seem to have strong feelings either way. And some do like to say they're more midwestern, more to emphasize "we're not like NYC".
I don't see that.....They also say that they are Northeastern, but what people say is that NYS does not equal NYC. Meaning, that there is variation within the state.

Old 01-21-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
"Eastern" and "Northeastern" go beyond mere geographic descriptors on this forum. When people say "it leans more Eastern," they really mean "more like New York or DC," which really means educated, liberal, sophisticated, cosmopolitan, etc. Just look at any of the "Cleveland is not the Midwest" threads to see this line of thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.