Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are Pittsburgh, Erie, and Buffalo Northeastern or Midwestern?
Northeastern 42 50.60%
Midwestern 10 12.05%
Mixed 31 37.35%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2016, 03:22 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,672,030 times

Advertisements

It's interesting to see people raise the "Buffalo is faster paced than the Midwest" claim. How exactly is Buffalo faster paced than Cleveland or Detroit?

//www.city-data.com/forum/buffa...idwestern.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2016, 03:27 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It's interesting to see people raise the "Buffalo is faster paced than the Midwest" claim. How exactly is Buffalo faster paced than Cleveland or Detroit?

//www.city-data.com/forum/buffa...idwestern.html
You'll notice that the second and third posts still stated that it is still a Northeastern city/area. Both of those posters are from Rochester, by the way.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:29 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,718,512 times
Quote:
If you live entirely to the west of the Chesapeake Bay Watershed, you might could be a Midwesterner.

If you call a carbonated beverage "pop," you might could be a Midwesterner.

If your metro is located in the core of the Rust Belt, you might could be a Midwesterner.

If your metro suffered large population declines after 1970, you may just be a Midwesterner.

If Germans are the largest European ethnic group in your metro, you might could be a Midwesterner.

If your hometown is known for Eastern European inspired foods (i.e., pierogi), you might could be a Midwesterner.

If the African American population in your metro came mostly from Alabama and Mississippi, you might could be a Midwesterner.
Trying this out for Buffalo, Rochester and Syracuse

1. Yes, No, No

2. Yes, No, No

3. Yes to all

4. Only Buffalo seems to have seen a significant population loss in its metro

5. German ancestry plurality in Buffalo and Rochester, Irish in Syracuse

6. I think only Buffalo is

7. I think most of western and central NY's AA population came more from the Carolinas

Old 01-22-2016, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You'll notice that the second and third posts still stated that it is still a Northeastern city/area. Both of those posters are from Rochester, by the way.
The thread is 20 pages long with a variety of opinions. The argument is not whether Buffalo is in a Northeastern state. The argument is whether Buffalo is "culturally" Midwestern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
It's both! That's what makes Buffalo unique. It is the center for cultural diffusion between the East and West.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Illinois 1 View Post
Being from the midwest and having visited Buffalo many times, as well as having spent time in places like NYC and Washington, I would definitely say that Buffalo is more like the upper midwest cities. Culturally, weather-wise, economically, and geographically (i.e., being located on the Great Lakes), Buffalo reminds me alot of Cleveland in particular. But both Buffalo and Cleveland also seem similar to cities like Detroit and Milwaukee (and also Pittsburgh for that matter). I see few similarities between Buffalo and places like NYC, Philly, Boston, and DC. I am not sure where that imaginary midwest/east dividing line is, but I would place Buffalo to the west of it.
If DC is a Southern city that "leans" Northeastern, then Buffalo could be said to be a Northeastern city that "leans" Midwestern.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Kensington View Post

1. Yes, No, No

2. Yes, No, No

3. Yes to all

7. I think most of western and central NY's AA population came more from the Carolinas
That's true. Pittsburgh's AA population came mostly from Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi.

https://www.centerstage.org/portals/...-Migration.jpg

Old 01-22-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:

1. Yes, No, No

2. Yes, No, No

3. Yes to all

#7 is right, as many of the Black people have roots in the Carolinas(my mom is from SC), GA, FL and VA. You may have some from MS and Southeastern AL, but the other states mentioned dominate. A lot of Black people came not necessarily for manufacturing jobs, but many came as migrant workers as well. That is why you have some small towns/cities near these cities with enough Black people to notice(Lyons, Clyde, Newark, Geneva, Medina, Albion, Sodus, Batavia, etc.).

With #6, Syracuse has Polish, Ukrainian and Russian(Jewish and non-Jewish) communities. In fact, the area from the outer West side of Syracuse through its western suburbs to Auburn, might be one of the highest areas of Ukrainians in NYS in terms of percentage.

Rochester does have those groups as well, but to a lesser degree.

For 5, all 3 areas are in the top 20 in terms of Italian percentage. Buffalo and Syracuse have notable Native American communities/populations. All 3 have Hispanic populations that are primarily Puerto Rican and Hispanics make up roughly 10-20% of the populations within the city propers. Small cities like Geneva and Dunkirk near these 3 cities are about 13% and 28% Hispanic.

Just adding more info.......

Old 01-22-2016, 03:53 PM

2,253 posts, read 3,718,512 times
A high Italian % is something that links all the major NYS cities together.

Buffalo is really Polish though as well.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:57 PM

Quote:
The thread is 20 pages long with a variety of opinions. The argument is not whether Buffalo is in a Northeastern state. The argument is whether Buffalo is "culturally" Midwestern.

If DC is a Southern city that "leans" Northeastern, then Buffalo could be said to be a Northeastern city that "leans" Midwestern.
You'll notice that Cleveland, which one could say "leans" Northeastern tends to be the city/area used and when people say "Midwestern", they really mean the Great Lakes. However, Great Lakes and Midwestern aren't necessarily the same, as it has been mentioned in this thread. If that is the case, then the Syracuse area would be "Midwestern", as its metro touches Lake Ontario. Same with Rochester.

Old 01-22-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:

I would say Polish cultural penetration on the East Coast is fairly weak. I first heard about Paczki Day from a friend in Detroit who looks like a younger version of Bernie Mac. He was like, "They don't have Paczki Day in Philly?" They might have a Paczki Day in Philly but it clearly hasn't had the level of overall cultural seepage the way pretzels, water ice, and hoagies have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgNJgkTBjPw

Old 01-22-2016, 04:02 PM

Quote:

Yes, it has a pretty high Polish population/percentage, but the Italian percentage is the same as the Polish percentage. Same with the Irish percentage. They are all about 19% within the metro according to 2010-2014 census info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.