Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 06:29 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
Hipster-haters are imbeciles.
No. Hipsters are imbeciles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2013, 07:10 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
No. Hipsters are imbeciles.
Being elitist over hipsters is so hipster of you.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:15 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
"Hipsters" are nothing more than young people who are education-minded, free-thinking, and don't create crime. I'd live in a city full of hipsters than ghetto idiots anyday. No surprise that anywhere there's a good college, there's a large population of "hipsters". Hipster-haters are imbeciles.
Education-minded? Many are college dropouts which is why you see them working at Whole Foods, coffee shops, and used bookstores. Free-thinking? Is that a joke?

Once again, nothing wrong with hipsters or hipster culture. It actually brings a lot to an area. The elitism though gets under my skin. Hipsters are not a higher class of people like they think they are.

Old 05-01-2013, 08:59 AM

389 posts, read 469,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Education-minded? Many are college dropouts which is why you see them working at Whole Foods, coffee shops, and used bookstores. Free-thinking? Is that a joke?

Once again, nothing wrong with hipsters or hipster culture. It actually brings a lot to an area. The elitism though gets under my skin. Hipsters are not a higher class of people like they think they are.
Hipster is to big of a damn label lol, hipster this hipster that... boy oh boy. Many of my friends have degrees and people call them hipsters, I told someone I like a certain band and then they called me a hipster lol. What is and what isn't a hipster lol? Young people who move to bad hoods in major cities are hipsters and looked down upon for no reason, if they aren't a hipster then they are looked down upon for being a yuppie... Sheesh. I've got friends of both types, none of them come off acting better than me etc, they are often nice and friendly if you don't judge off the bat.

Old 05-01-2013, 10:20 AM

6,625 posts, read 14,450,086 times
What is frustrating/what I dislike about the hipster crowd is the neverending, empty pursuit of being different. This isn't to say I am against or dislike people who are different...but it seems like a lot of the people that fit the "hipster" description often dress/act different solely for the sake of making others say "wow, he's different!". It's annoying.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:04 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,102,410 times
Plenty of other trendy "epidemics" are sweeping the country at an alarming rate and hipsters would be a welcome change from many of those.
The "obesity", "loud exhaust on every vehicle", and the "MMA/UFC/Tap-Out aficionado" epidemics are ones that would affect many of us to some varying degree.

Seems like there's very little places left to run away to from these.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:10 PM

348 posts, read 336,581 times
Arrogance is always unpleasant to behold.
The sword cuts both ways on this thread.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:22 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentstrider View Post
Plenty of other trendy "epidemics" are sweeping the country at an alarming rate and hipsters would be a welcome change from many of those.
The "obesity", "loud exhaust on every vehicle", and the "MMA/UFC/Tap-Out aficionado" epidemics are ones that would affect many of us to some varying degree.

Seems like there's very little places left to run away to from these.
We are over run by "MMA/UFC/Tap-Out aficionados" every weekend here in Huntington Beach. Wish these aholes and wannabees would just stay in the 909.

Old 05-01-2013, 04:21 PM

87 posts, read 229,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
There is no hipster epidemic. I think that's just the go-to word for any young urbanite that is different yet somehow threatening to the people making the claim.

I think a lot of young people are just living their lives as inexpensively, comfortably and exciting as they can while not feeding or even avoiding "the system". At least that's what I'm doing.
Twenty years before the massive influx of hipsters to Philadelphia, there were many urban pioneers and artists living inexpensively in Philadelphia, living outside the system, but they didn't all dress the same, as hipsters tend to do.

Old 05-01-2013, 05:55 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,924,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ancient Oracle View Post
Twenty years before the massive influx of hipsters to Philadelphia, there were many urban pioneers and artists living inexpensively in Philadelphia, living outside the system, but they didn't all dress the same, as hipsters tend to do.
Haha true. I'm sure some people thought of my parents as "Hipsters", moving from DC into what was a pretty rough yet progressive neighborhood in Philly in the early 1980's.

Last edited by 2e1m5a; 05-01-2013 at 06:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.