Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2007, 06:40 PM

160 posts, read 518,057 times

Advertisements

Sun belt cities are funny, you either love them or hate them. Most are fun to visit, but do you really truly want to live there year round?? I think Houston is one of the more lacking, sure, it's big, but look closely at those "huge" population demographics. It is so far from NYC, Chicago, DC, Seattle and even Atlanta Charlotte and Nashville (sun belt). More people does not a better city make. But hey, it is not as bad as Phoenix. The pictures posted earlier on the thread say volumes. I think the term "cookie cutter" fits here nicely. If I was going to live in Texas, Dallas, Austin, or San Antonio would be first choices. So, I guess you could say this is Houston vs the rest of the Sunbelt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 06:51 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
I think Houston is one of the more lacking, sure, it's big, but look closely at those "huge" population demographics. It is so far from NYC, Chicago, DC, Seattle and even Atlanta Charlotte and Nashville (sun belt).
HUH? Are you talking about distance or something?

Old 11-03-2007, 07:21 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,417,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Don't know about Boston. But I would put Austin below DC in the topography category. The area sits on the fall line on a big river in between higher hills than Austin. Don't get me wrong. Austin sits in the hill country. But DC sits in an area that is not that far from the Appalachain Mountains.
I don't know. The areas around Lake Travis in Austin have some pretty big hills. I know that you know that (being from Central Texas and all). I have been to D.C. three times, and its hills reminds me of Austin's. D.C. itself (from what I can remember) was mostly flat with a few large hills here and there.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueatari View Post
Sun belt cities are funny, you either love them or hate them. Most are fun to visit, but do you really truly want to live there year round?? I think Houston is one of the more lacking, sure, it's big, but look closely at those "huge" population demographics. It is so far from NYC, Chicago, DC, Seattle and even Atlanta Charlotte and Nashville (sun belt). More people does not a better city make. But hey, it is not as bad as Phoenix. The pictures posted earlier on the thread say volumes. I think the term "cookie cutter" fits here nicely. If I was going to live in Texas, Dallas, Austin, or San Antonio would be first choices. So, I guess you could say this is Houston vs the rest of the Sunbelt?
What does being far away from those cities exactly mean? Nothing, your right.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:37 PM

160 posts, read 518,057 times
It means "far" as in a comparative nature, not mileage distance Einsteins.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:44 PM

So you think Charlotte and Nashville and Atlanta are "better" than Houston? You need to give some reasons.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:30 AM

197 posts, read 261,669 times
Default Actually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Houston is a humid dump. Bad climate, companies go there because its cheap. It's cheap because its and ugly city with horrible zoning and a low quality of life compared to most cities and its residents are among the fattest in the US, statistics prove that year after year. Not even remotely close to a real city, needs a better downtown, needs to be more pedestrian friendly. Houston is the only city I know where they can build a Taco Bell next to your house without zoning restrictions. It's an urban planning disaster.
Actually, Houston is one of the fittest cities--check Forbes.com.

Actually, Houston's no zoning feature is one of the things I enjoy about it. How else can I get from school, to the adult video store, to the movies, to the grocery store, to the museum, or to my friends house in just a few minutes?

Actually, amazing.

Actually, I guess it's just because I'm a fat, cheap, lazy, ugly, Houstonian who doesn't know anything about culture, as I'm in my car all the time because the climate sucks.

Actually, In response to some other posts. I love my flat city. Since when were hills so amazing? I'm sure it would be much easier to build a hill than to destroy one!

Old 11-06-2007, 09:27 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,320,313 times
I thought this thread would prevent another Houston vs. (insert city) thread from popping up, but I was wrong. Someone had to post a Houston vs LA thread. Come on people!

In the interest of keeping this thread going, what overseas city does Houston most resemble?

Old 11-06-2007, 03:39 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Ugh. Cookie-cutter HELL. lol

The downtown pics are cool though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Sorry, man. Those pics confirm the stereotypical images that people have about Houston being a sprawling, petrol-induced mess. Although, the Downtown pics were cool.

Guerilla's pictures on another thread piqued my interest a lot more about Houston.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken627 View Post
Nice pictures bchris02, but honestly, Houston looks like a suburb from those pictures.

Every single picture makes me feel like I'm looking at Northern Virginia instead of Washington D.C.
I see you guys are still hung-up on those silly stereotypes. Must I hold the hand of every poster???

Old 11-06-2007, 03:40 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,575,953 times
Just now found this cool picture of the Beatles statues in Houston.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.