Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2008, 02:07 PM

179 posts, read 199,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Chicago actually has more Asians when you look at raw numbers. Chicago also has a slightly more diverse Hispanic population than Houston. Though I believe that will probably change come the 2010 census. While Chicago has more blacks than Houston, Houston has a slightly more diverse black population. Both are diverse. In the city of Chicago, whites are outnumbered by blacks alone. That's w/o adding the other ethnic groups. Chicago has more Europeans than Houston by far. It has a larger Italian, Greek, and Polish population than Houston. I don't care if you don't think that counts to diversity. Italians are not Greeks which are not Polish which are not French. They are of different ethnic groups which constitutes diversity. So know, I don't lose in diversity either.

Besides even though Cultural and Diversity are similar, it is not the same. Houston I would say is the mose diverse city in the south. But New Orleans is more culturally sound than Houston.

As far as GDP. In 2005 (when the last report came out, I believe) DFW was at $284.5 billion, Houston was at $244.4 billion, and Chicago was at $426.9 billion and Chicago's GDP is starting to grow fast once again now. That is not barely. Not substantial, but not barely either. So I don't lose there either at all.
Oh and I know this maybe hard for people to believe. But Chicago is ALSO an INTERNATIONAL city.

Actually, those numbers are just FLAT wrong. Chicago's gross METRO product isn't even that high
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2008, 02:08 PM

179 posts, read 199,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No it does not. First off, that can happen anywhere. Second, Houston is said to be more violent than Chicago over the past few years.
No - Chicago just ignores entire sections of its city and people literally cannot go to those parts. Plus, its crime is up 18% this year.

Houston just had a bad past few years because of Katrina refugees.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:18 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
No - Chicago just ignores entire sections of its city and people literally cannot go to those parts. Plus, its crime is up 18% this year.
and there are some parts of Houston that people literally cannot go to as well.

Quote:
Houston just had a bad past few years because of Katrina refugees.
Fact: Houston's crime was going up before Katrina was a cloud on the ocean. It was reported by August 1, 2005 that Houston's crime was all up. The hurricane hit the Louisiana-Mississippi gulf coast August 29.

Fact: Houston has always had crime ridden areas on both the Northside (Acres Home, 5th Ward) and Southside (Sunnyside, SW Houston).

Old 08-16-2008, 02:19 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,438,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calid00d View Post
Actually, those numbers are just FLAT wrong. Chicago's gross METRO product isn't even that high
Do you have a source for your info that shows the numbers are wrong. I don't mean to be controversial, but see here: List of cities by GDP - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Be sure to check out the source at the bottom. The research was done by PricewaterhouseCoopers.

The report takes into account the GDP of an urban area.
In Billions of US Dollars:
NYC- $1,191
LA- $639
Chicago- $460
Philly- $312
DC- $299
Boston-$290
Dallas- $268
San Fran- $242
Atlanta- $236
Houston- $235

I don't mind being proven wrong. If you can show me some sort of source saying Houston makes more money than shown and Chicago makes less money than shown, by all means go ahead. I'm curious if these numbers really are wrong for some reason.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:23 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calid00d View Post
I said GDP, not GMP and those numbers are just Flat out CORRECT. Chicago's GDP is very much that high. Well it was because that was in 2005. It's much higher NOW.

Old 08-16-2008, 02:29 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
Looks like Spade's righter than calid00d.

http://www.usmayors.org/metroeconomi...eyfindings.pdf

Old 08-16-2008, 03:23 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Chicago and Houston are neck and neck when it coems to diversity. So don't even try and say Houston can't compare to Chicago at that. Chicago marketing does suck compared to ATL,LA,AND NYC. Many people in the US don't even know Chicago is the third largest city, but Chicago is a world class city that beats Houston in many other things.

Old 08-16-2008, 03:33 PM

810 posts, read 2,162,136 times
what is the diversity of the Chicago and Houston MSA's/ not just city proper. what is the %age and absolute # of nationalities as well as races as well as nationality within races?

Old 08-16-2008, 04:00 PM

990 posts, read 3,186,841 times
Why did this even become a conversation about Chicago? It was about Houston, but now Chicago has to be thrown in.

Old 08-17-2008, 01:44 AM

343 posts, read 942,514 times
Wow a whole bitchfest thread about Houston. Some of you guys are unreal and need to grow up. This also goes the Houstonians who act arrogant.

With that said I have lived in the Houston area all my life. Its an awesome city and I love it. It has everything I could want from attractions, beautiful scenery, all kinds of food to the most beautiful women I have ever seen. Its not perfect and I know it has its faults. I see many people judge this city based on perception alone and really starting to think that some people are being envious. With all the positive talk that Houston has been getting during these tough time I think its messing with peoples heads or something. I have been to several cities and find each one unique in its own way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.