Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 10:43 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,317,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
How about everybody hops off of their ---- and stop exploiting Houston and Houstonians? Seriously, the stuff is being blown out of proportion. There are only two Houston vs. _______ on this forum (Portland and Atlanta). Mind you, none of the Houston topics on this forum were started by a Houston member (including this one). Seems to me that certain people insist on riding the city, without even realizing that they're the ones causing all the trouble while I, and others are trying to mind their business. Only defending the city when necessary.

People from Atlanta are upset because they discovered they have competition for the place they thought was theirs.

People from Dallas are upset because there's not a lot of threads about them instead of their "twin", Houston.

People from Portland are confused because they're being compared to a city that is lightyears away and ahead.

People from out of state, in general, put their foot in their mouth as they're finding their ignorant stereotypes to be very untrue.

People from NYC, CHI, and LA have an attitude because someone "has the nerve" to compare Houston to their kind. But here's the truth:

Houston is not the center of the universe (to me).

Houston is not on the same level of New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago; however, it is equally comparable to them in terms of diversity, shopping, food, worldliness, and postmodernness (all four cities dwell in the future like no other). YET, Houston is put back in its place due to its lack of sufficient density, public trans, outstanding architecture, development, and respect for history.

I do not praise the amount of television time other cities receive, that Houston doesn't enjoy, because all that does is feed into a city's pretension, rather than recognizing the facts. (Which is why Houston is still a white and Mexican, homophobic, red city ranch in the minds of a great deal of Americans).

And lastly, Houston really is not that ugly
Atlantans are not upset about Houston because of "competition". In fact, most people here don't see Houston as even being in the same region (Southeast) although it is definitely Southern.

Overall, I must admit that that was the most compelling argument that I've seen you make about Houston thus far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2007, 11:23 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
The Westpark Commuter Line will be the Katy Corridor's rail. That's going into Phase III though.
Hopefully they will tear down the Westpark Tollway to double track or even triple track the route.

Quote:
How about everybody hops off of their ---- and stop exploiting Houston and Houstonians? Seriously, the stuff is being blown out of proportion. There are only two Houston vs. _______ on this forum (Portland and Atlanta). Mind you, none of the Houston topics on this forum were started by a Houston member (including this one). Seems to me that certain people insist on riding the city, without even realizing that they're the ones causing all the trouble while I, and others are trying to mind their business. Only defending the city when necessary.

People from Atlanta are upset because they discovered they have competition for the place they thought was theirs.

People from Dallas are upset because there's not a lot of threads about them instead of their "twin", Houston.

People from Portland are confused because they're being compared to a city that is lightyears away and ahead.

People from out of state, in general, put their foot in their mouth as they're finding their ignorant stereotypes to be very untrue.

People from NYC, CHI, and LA have an attitude because someone "has the nerve" to compare Houston to their kind. But here's the truth:

Houston is not on the same level of New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago; however, it is equally comparable to them in terms of diversity, shopping, food, worldliness, and postmodernness (all four cities dwell in the future like no other). YET, Houston is put back in its place due to its lack of sufficient density, public trans, outstanding architecture, development, and respect for history.

I do not praise the amount of television time other cities receive, that Houston doesn't enjoy, because all that does is feed into a city's pretension, rather than recognizing the facts. (Which is why Houston is still a white and Mexican, homophobic, red city ranch in the minds of a great deal of Americans).

Why are they always bashing us? Is it because this city has the potential to overtake Atlanta, DFW, Chicago, L.A., and even N.Y.C.? L.A. is up there? That's an insult to New Yorkers and Chicagoans!

Quote:
How about a Dallas vs. Silicone thread. Both are fake.
Dallas and Los Angeles go together. Fake people. The cars. The attitude. I think the plastic surgery business is starting to be popular in Dallas. The next Beverly Hills? I think I'll stay with the New Yorkers and Chicagoans, the real people. L.A. is just nice to visit and to act fake for a while but can't be like that all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
True no one thats here has been to heaven, and if they have I wanna meet them.
But i am sure someone would try and compare the two anyway.
What the former mayor of Boston(?) said to Rep. Barney Frank early in his career after campaigning door-to-door for him: "People want to go to Heaven but they don't want to die first."

Old 11-01-2007, 01:59 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,206,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post

Why are they always bashing us? Is it because this city has the potential to overtake Atlanta, DFW, Chicago, L.A., and even N.Y.C.? L.A. is up there? That's an insult to New Yorkers and Chicagoans!

Dallas and Los Angeles go together. Fake people. The cars. The attitude. I think the plastic surgery business is starting to be popular in Dallas. The next Beverly Hills? I think I'll stay with the New Yorkers and Chicagoans, the real people. L.A. is just nice to visit and to act fake for a while but can't be like that all the time.

What the former mayor of Boston(?) said to Rep. Barney Frank early in his career after campaigning door-to-door for him: "People want to go to Heaven but they don't want to die first."
NY'ers and Chicagoans, real people. Just typing that made me spit up chunks just now! Are you sure you're a real estate agent? Couldn't hack it in L. A., huh? The only reason I can find for you to bash Los Angeles on a thread like this. Houston looks nice. I think it is, but I've never been. I......have been to heaven, though and....it...looks like New York. There, I've said it- oops! More chunks!

Old 11-01-2007, 02:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,336 times
Quote:

All of America top 10 cities are world class cities , i am from Baja Texas originally Tulsa Oklahoma and have lived both on the eastern seaboard and in California Los Angeles/Long Beach San Francisco Oakland California Vallejo California And I Would Rate Houston As Being On The Same Level As N.Y.C. L.A. Chi-Town but as a 4th place city of course L.A. and N.Y.C. are much to big and Sophisticated to be compared to Houston eye ball to eye but Houston has 2 Million people just like Chicago Ill. and I beleive will one day grow to be larger than Chicago Ill.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:27 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,572,485 times
Quote:
Yeah, that will be in Uptown. Part of the line will be underground. The new expansions include some new things. Parts of the line will be in its own ROW, and some stations will be elevated. Once this is completed, Houston will have about the same about of rail lines as Atlanta.
Will there be a station undergound, or will it just run underground?

Old 11-01-2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
in my honest opinion, houston is not a very global city and doesn't compare with (downtowns at least) prodominent US cities, and not even close to world cities. I've been there and all three prodominent US cities and it just does not compare, but this is just an opinion , and i will probly get bashed for it...
Well I'm not going to bash you, but what about Los Angeles' downtown. I heard LA's was just as dull as Houston's.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
Mpope409, ahead in what way? And have you ever been to Portland? Believe me Portlanders are not confused in any way.
That one was actually just a joke. I had to throw that one in there since I was mentioning the other places. But you do have to admit, Portland vs. Houston seems like a comparison that can't even work.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
True no one thats here has been to heaven, and if they have I wanna meet them.
But i am sure someone would try and compare the two anyway.
Well, I wouldn't if that's what you're suggesting. Excuse me if you're not.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Atlantans are not upset about Houston because of "competition". In fact, most people here don't see Houston as even being in the same region (Southeast) although it is definitely Southern.
While it is Southern, without a doubt, I even say that it isn't much of a stretch to call it Southeastern. Of course it's not in the Southeast, but it does have the look.

Quote:
Overall, I must admit that that was the most compelling argument that I've seen you make about Houston thus far.
It's really all I've been trying to say the whole time. Just in a different way.

Old 11-01-2007, 09:21 AM

327 posts, read 754,978 times
I'm waiting for a Houston vs Mars thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.