Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2007, 05:52 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,836,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
UMM Houston vs. HELL might be a better comparison. Especially at night when the refinery flares light the sky.
Typical Dallas chat... in reality, the refineries are limited to the east-side suburb towns (Channelview, Pasadena, Baytown etc) and not typical of Houston proper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2007, 06:02 PM

327 posts, read 754,978 times
Hurricane Rita hit Beaumont and Southwest Louisiana, not Houston.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:14 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,375,727 times
I previously had no respect for Houston because a few people I met from there were sheer loudmouths. Not fair to generalize, I know, but often times we all are ignorant in our thinking if just for a moment. Given that Texas also produced our current President, I was pretty down on any city in that state.

However, I live in silicon valley, and a great job opportunity came my way, NOT from any firm based here in the bay area, but a firm based in Houston, one that has an office here. Pretty open-minded, forward-thinking group of folks. Based on these associations and this new job, Houston deserves consideration, and should be discussed among the traditional movers and shakers in this country.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:19 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,759,177 times
Why are Houstonions(?) trying to denie that a hurricane can hit their city? And than trying to say that other places are at risk for disasters even though every area on the planet ARE at risk for one thing or another???

Old 11-01-2007, 06:20 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,842,045 times
LOL, LA always gets dragged in.

1) We have light rail expansion currently underway via the Expo Line and Eastside Extension. Research is being completed on extending the subway to the Pacific Ocean and the Eastside rail to Ontario Airport... among other rail projects.

2) Downtown just opened a new theatre, the Nokia, and has a Ritz Carlton tower starting construction right next door. A project is also about to commence on grand avenue which will include a new Gehry tower. Not to mention Park Fifth which has achieved 50% presale, and will be the largest residential tower in the West.

3) I can see the mountains through the smog just fine on most days, because the smog is INLAND and there's a lot of LA on the COAST.

I've never been to Houston, so I can't comment on how it compares to LA...

Old 11-01-2007, 06:28 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
Why are Houstonions(?) trying to denie that a hurricane can hit their city? And than trying to say that other places are at risk for disasters even though every area on the planet ARE at risk for one thing or another???
No Houstonian is trying to deny that their (our) city can get hit by a hurricane. It has just been a while since one has hit.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:05 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Kerr-Town Dallas is not red, it's blue..virtually all Republicans have been swept out of office. And I doubt Harris County has a lesbian sheriff and a black DA as does Dallas County.
I meant the whole Metroplex since Dallasites love to include their suburbs to boost up their city (err...I mean region).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Typical stereotype of Texas cities.

I could show you photos of the amazing hills in San Antonio, and the larger ones in Austin. Hell, even South Dallas has large hills. Houston is the only one without the big hills. Ours (northern suburbs), are just up and down.
You forgot to mention the Prairie View/Hempstead area and Conroe. Those are hilly.

Old 11-01-2007, 07:21 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,608,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanInSF View Post
I previously had no respect for Houston because a few people I met from there were sheer loudmouths. Not fair to generalize, I know, but often times we all are ignorant in our thinking if just for a moment. Given that Texas also produced our current President, I was pretty down on any city in that state.

However, I live in silicon valley, and a great job opportunity came my way, NOT from any firm based here in the bay area, but a firm based in Houston, one that has an office here. Pretty open-minded, forward-thinking group of folks. Based on these associations and this new job, Houston deserves consideration, and should be discussed among the traditional movers and shakers in this country.
C'mon--arent there "loud mouths" in EVERY city? Ever been to a Cubs game ? There are enough wonderful folks in Texas to counter balance "the current president".

Old 11-01-2007, 07:22 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,023,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
Too bad that didn't hit Houston.
The city of Houston escaped being directly hit. But there were residual effects as Houston residents were initially told to evacuate the city which caused major commotion and upheaval according to news reports.

Here's the Wiki write up on the hurricane where events in Houston are featured prominently:

Hurricane Rita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-01-2007, 07:39 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,445,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
The city of Houston escaped being directly hit. But there were residual effects as Houston residents were initially told to evacuate the city which caused major commotion and upheaval according to news reports.

Here's the Wiki write up on the hurricane where events in Houston are featured prominently:

Hurricane Rita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I think the city leaders learned their valuable lesson in evacuation which could be used to teach city leaders around the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.