Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2018, 01:38 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,236,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
So Midwest is only Michigan and Wisconsin now? Ooooooookay

I think you have Midwest confused with...who knows what. Lol@ Ohio not being Midwestern enough. Even more lol @ Indiana not making the cut.

What even is your criteria???
At first I thought as you do, that Geographybee is saying only Michigan and Wisconsin are in the Midwest, but if you reread what he wrote, "fully fit their region", he/she is saying that only Michigan and Wisconsin are totally the Midwest. The argument is that since the other states have Southern, Yankee, Western, Great Plains etc., influences, they are not totally Midwestern, except pure Michigan and Wisconsin.

Now I do NOT agree with that argument at all, beginning with the fact that the Great Plains ARE part of the Midwest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midwestern_United_States
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2018, 06:59 AM

811 posts, read 887,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Pittsburgh is not in West Virginia; it is in Pennsylvania.
I have always considered West Virginia to be Southern; not sure what other region it could fit into. I understand it's not Magnolia Trees, Spanish Moss and deep south Southern, but it certainly is not Midwestern or Northeastern. FWIW, my grandparents on both sides of my family are from West Virginia and they considered themselves to be both Appalachian and Southern.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:37 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
I have always considered West Virginia to be Southern; not sure what other region it could fit into. I understand it's not Magnolia Trees, Spanish Moss and deep south Southern, but it certainly is not Midwestern or Northeastern. FWIW, my grandparents on both sides of my family are from West Virginia and they considered themselves to be both Appalachian and Southern.
Coming from a county in PA that has a mutual border with W VA, I agree.

Old 01-19-2018, 07:50 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
At first I thought as you do, that Geographybee is saying only Michigan and Wisconsin are in the Midwest, but if you reread what he wrote, "fully fit their region", he/she is saying that only Michigan and Wisconsin are totally the Midwest. The argument is that since the other states have Southern, Yankee, Western, Great Plains etc., influences, they are not totally Midwestern, except pure Michigan and Wisconsin.

Now I do NOT agree with that argument at all, beginning with the fact that the Great Plains ARE part of the Midwest.

Michigan has influence from New York historically so I guess let's take it out of the Midwest too.

The Great Lakes states DO have Yankee influence.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:25 AM

707 posts, read 749,225 times
Typically between the Rockies and Appalachia.

Old 01-19-2018, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Coming from a county in PA that has a mutual border with W VA, I agree.
I agree with both of you.

I honestly don't think many people here in the New York area, which is more or less the center of the Northeast, think of West Virginia as part of the Northeast or for that matter the Midwest. Certainly no one with a knowledge of history or geography.

West Virginia is part of the South. No maybe she is not like Georgia, South Carolina or Mississippi but Southern none the less.

Part of the Upper South or Upland South if you will. Possibly the area with the best climate in the USA.

https://www.britannica.com/place/Upper-South

Old 01-19-2018, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Michigan has influence from New York historically so I guess let's take it out of the Midwest too.

The Great Lakes states DO have Yankee influence.
I believe that Michigan to this day has a similar system of local government to the Northeast. In fact, so does Wisconsin, which even calls its local governments "Towns" like New York.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_township

So that takes out both Michigan and Wisconsin as the "pure Midwest states". Oh gosh, so that means there are NO pure Midwest states by Geographybees standards! LOL

Nah, just kidding. I get the point Bee was trying to make, I just don't agree with it.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:10 PM

239 posts, read 231,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
I think your logic is incredibly flawed.

WV does not fully fit into the south at all. Not unless you want to include Pittsburgh as a southern city.

Extreme parts of southern Ohio are influenced with southern traits, but it is NOT truly southern. Get out of here with that, tired of that one. It's called "mid-land" and "central Appalachia", both areas where the traditional north and south mingle. There are just as many northern influences on the south side of the river. Again, by your logic parts of PA and NJ would be southern too.

Iowa is ABSOLUTELY Midwestern. In fact, I dare call it a state that exemplifies the region short of the rust belt proper, which is a great lakes thing that extends into the northeast as well.

While I am on the subject, the great lakes region is not exclusively Midwestern, unless you consider central NY Midwest too. People should stop using the lakes area to wholly define the Midwest, as it is not the core character of said region. If anything, Michigan and Ohio are more like NY and PA than they are Iowa and Minnesota.
No, NJ has no areas that are Southern. PA most certainly does. OH has regions that are southern as well. Overall, I am basing my criteria on the typical cultural/geographic definition of each region. Therefore, the Midwest is a huge region, but it is not divided by state lines. The same goes for every other region in the country. In addition, I agree that parts of MI and OH are more like NY and parts of OH are like PA. No parts of Michigan are really like PA. However, parts of PA and NY are incredibly different from the Midwest, and they influence the state far more. I would agree that Western New York is Midwestern, and that is why I did not include NY as fully northeastern. PA has areas that are northeastern, areas that are fairly southern, and areas that are Midwestern. There is also a reason I did not include PA as fully northeastern.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
This is hilarious. Others have beat me to some of the critique I was gonna level, so I'll just leave it at: there's nothing "Midwestern" about Western New York. It's very similar to the eastern Great Lakes stretch of the Midwest, but that would literally be the only subregion of the Midwest you could compare WNY to. Matter of fact, WNY stands in stark contrast to much of the Midwest...
No, you clearly do not understand that most of the Midwest is centered around the Great Lakes. That is one of the defining features of many Midwestern cities.

Old 01-19-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post

I mean fully. Every state in that general region has areas that feel fully Midwestern. But they are not entirely Midwestern states. MI and WI feel entirely Midwestern to me, as does most of Illinois and Indiana. However, much of OH does not feel very Midwestern.

I also completely disagree that the Great Plains are part of the Mideest. They most certainly are a separate region. The Midwest is anchored around the cities of Cleveland, Columbus, Indianapolis, Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, Milwaukee, and Minneapolis. ND and SD are certainly not Midwestern. I have never heard them referred to as such. IA could be called Midwestern, but KS and NE are in the same boat as ND and SD. I strongly disagreee that those four states are part of the Midwest. I have always thought of the Midwest as being anchored around the Great Lakes, not the true middle of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.