Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 03:14 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,897,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
That was one mighty cold superbowl they had up there in Dallas I tell you what.
Just wait 'til this year...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 06:29 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,633,586 times
The Hampton Roads area of Virginia (Norfolk, Virginia Beach, Newport News, etc.) usually flies well under the radar despite its population. If we go a bit smaller, Fresno and the California central valley in general rarely if ever comes up outside of its own region. If the Fresno State Bulldogs weren't a DI football team, I doubt Fresno would be mentioned at all on national media, aside from the occasional episode of Gangland.

Speaking of Texas, while Ft. Worth is ignored, the whole Rio Grande valley might be the most ignored of all, relative to size. Much smaller cities like Amarillo or Lubbock are a lot better-known than McAllen-Harlingen-Edinburgh. Even Mexican immigrants from the cities directly across the border from McAllen-Brownsville seem to skip those cities for San Antonio or Houston.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:54 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times
Saint Paul and Fort Worth

Old 05-19-2013, 07:47 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,986,110 times
Insert any twin city

Fort Worth

Oakland

St. Paul

etc.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:24 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Insert any twin city

Fort Worth

Oakland

St. Paul

etc.
Uh, Oakland isn't even the most overshadowed city in the Bay Area.

Oakland has two big league sports teams named after it and another one playing in its city limits (for now anyway), plus an international airport. It is better served by heavy rail rapid transit, Amtrak and freeways than San Francisco, and it has the largest, busiest port in the Bay Area. Telegraph Avenue even runs from Downtown Oakland and ends a couple of miles north, at the edge of the finest public university in the US, in a directly adjacent city.

It doesn't belong on your list. For better or worse, Oakland conjures an image and identity all its own to anyone with any knowledge of major American cities.

Once again, you're talking about places you don't understand, as your view of the world outside Tyler is pretty narrow. I'm honestly not even convinced that you know much about Tyler.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:26 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,186,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post

Oakland has two big league sports teams named after it and another one playing in its city limits (for now anyway), plus an international airport. It is better served by heavy rail rapid transit, Amtrak and freeways than San Francisco, and it has the largest, busiest port in the Bay Area. Telegraph Avenue even runs from Downtown Oakland and ends a couple of miles north, at the edge of the finest public university in the US, in a directly adjacent city.

It doesn't belong on your list. For better or worse, Oakland conjures an image and identity all its own to anyone with any knowledge of major American cities.

Once again, you're talking about places you don't understand, as your view of the world outside Tyler is pretty narrow. I'm honestly not even convinced that you know much about Tyler.
I'd say it's overshadowed, and I don't live there.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:37 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,134,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Of course it is.

But it's a city of 400,000 with city-named big league sports teams, its own international airport and heavy rail transit. It has its own identity in the metro area. It's no St. Paul.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:31 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,186,651 times
Quote:
Of course it is.

But it's a city of 400,000 with city-named big league sports teams, its own international airport and heavy rail transit. It has its own identity in the metro area. It's no St. Paul.
Hey now, St. Paul has a sports team, it's just named after the state like all the other teams because MN is hokey! But no Int'l Airport or movies filmed there (insert that gangster or Malcom X movie).

Old 05-21-2013, 03:15 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,492,504 times
Quote:

In the Bay Area Oakland may not be overshadowed but to the rest of the country its pretty much just some city across the bay from SF.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:54 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,897,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
It is, but not even CLOSE to most overshadowed...

St. Paul is overshadowed, but call me when you have to constantly tell people that your city isn't a suburb, even though it's home to well over 700,000 residents and makes up about 2 million+ in a 6 million populated metro area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.