Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 04:29 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times

Advertisements

Three states I've resided in....

Washington: Yakima is unanimously disliked by most of the state, Much of Eastern WA dislikes the whole Puget Sound area, people in Seattle don't care about them though they like to throw some knocks at Tacoma.

Massachusetts: Lynn, Brockton, and Springfield are the butt of jokes within the state. In the Cape Cod area Wareham is the Wal-Mart/Trailer Park town.

New Mexico: Española and Farmington get ragged on, and nobody likes Eastern NM along the Texas border (Clovis/Hobbs/Portales).

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 01-07-2014 at 04:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2014, 05:33 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
I grew up in Bowling Green and it is most certainly "Michigan-like".
In what ways? Michigan is known for lakes. BG and Findlay are not known for lakes.

Old 01-07-2014, 07:19 PM

49 posts, read 88,074 times
In Austin, it does seem like Dallas and Houston are the 2 most disliked cities in Texas. I'm always hearing how Austin is becoming more and more like Dallas everyday and I also hear a lot about the "Houstonization" of Austin. Neither are good things.

Went to a family reunion in Mineral Wells and I remember an aunt from Athens Texas saying she lived as close to Houston as she wanted to. Probably about 250 miles away.

Everybody in Texas seems to like San Antonio.

Seems there are a lot of Texans who don't like Austin because it's liberal. So liberal many call it the People's Republic of Austin. Austin doesnt seem as liberal as much as it is a "live and let live" kind of town.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:33 PM

4,865 posts, read 4,179,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
In what ways? Michigan is known for lakes. BG and Findlay are not known for lakes.
Hey, there's a quarry in BG! Lake Erie is only 40 minutes away. Not all of Michigan is lakes and there is more to a state than it's natural resources.

BG is a suburb of Toledo which is pretty much just a suburb of Detroit. Back when I was growing up in BG it still relied heavily on manufacturing. A lot of auto parts were made in BG. The majority of sports fans support Detroit teams and the town is split about 50/50 between UofM and OSU. I know so many families who have cabins in Michigan. Mainly Devil's Lake outside Adrian, MI. Detroit is the closest big city for sports, concerts, museums, shopping, etc. The greater Toledo area is demographically similar to Detroit. Politically, it's similar to Detroit and SE Michigan.

And the most important similarity is that BG is steep in hockey. Well it was when I was growing up. BGSU won the National Championship when I was a kid. Our high school won state championships my 8th, 9th and 10th grade years. It wasn't until Columbus got the Bluejackets that the state tournament was even held in Columbus. It used to rotate between Cleveland and little ole Bowling Green, OH because we had a nice rink and we were a powerhouse. Hockey is very new to the rest of Ohio. Hockey has been in Michigan forever.

BG is only a 25 min drive from Michigan. How can you claim it's not "Michigan-like"?

Old 01-07-2014, 09:01 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
The Twin Cities, definitely. Lotsa talk about how "big city liberals" are re-shaping Minnesota to fit their worldview.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:08 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,990,431 times
… For out of staters, all of it. For those from New Jersey who actually know what we're talking about, probably the Turnpike around Newark Airport - the part that makes everybody else hate our entire state. Also, possibly Camden.

Old 01-07-2014, 10:12 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
The Twin Cities, definitely. Lotsa talk about how "big city liberals" are re-shaping Minnesota to fit their worldview.
Duluth and St. Louis county lean Democratic, but I think that is more likely due to blue collar industries, both present and past.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:10 PM

611 posts, read 1,456,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Generally by the conservative, racist wing-nuts who inhabit much of the rest of the state.
Not true. I'm a biracial, liberal, sane minded Central Floridian and South Florida is a mess. I think peoples biggest issue is being priced out of the market in their home state, and being denied employment because they don't speak Spanish. Those are the two reasons why I left Florida.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:52 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,328,642 times
I don't hate any part of Texas, but I don't like the Panhandle. Too bland, flat, boring... even Amarillo and Lubbock don't offer much.

Old 03-29-2015, 12:35 AM

620 posts, read 1,233,221 times
In Missouri it would be based on where you are from. People sorta make fun of the Ozarks region of southwest/south centeral Missouri. I tend to think they are jealous of our southern accents and beautiful landscape. Others don't like southeast Missouri. It's fairly poor and full of cotton fields and flatlanders. People from St. Louis think they have the best city. People from kc think they have the best city. Many people in sw/se mo don't care for either one. In Missouri I would say it's more a division between northern and southern Missouri for cultural reasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.