Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 06:56 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,484,481 times

Advertisements

I'm good right where I am.

I grew up in the SF East Bay Area, and couldn't wait to move to the mountains. Did that. Lived in WA state for 18 years. No more snow for me, thanks.

Couldn't wait to live in the country. Did that. Miss the quiet. Don't miss the mice. Don't miss having to drive 30 miles to get to a store.

Lived in TN. Wanted to experience the south and fireflies. I do miss fireflies. Don't miss humidity.

I don't live in an exciting city, but it's safe, there are plenty of stores, I can walk to the farmers market and one of the California missions, I have great health care, great weather year round and almost never any humidity, great senior center with fancy free natatorium, great library with wi-fi, daughter is only 40 minutes away Diverse neighborhood (the Portuguese community paraded by my window this morning to church all decked out with marching bands, etc. I've got neighbors who aren't nosy. Beach is 30 minutes away. Don't care about mountains anymore, but they're there if i ever want to go see them.

I'm good right where I am. Didn't know how good I had it right where I started from :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 09:38 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,099,266 times
Coming from Ohio, I envy Southern California/South Florida's mild winters and gorgeous beaches. The Midwest is also pretty spread out in comparison to the east coast cities. Living in New Jersey I could be in New York, Philly, D.C, Boston, in not that long of a time span. It takes six hours to get to Chicago from Columbus.

Old 05-26-2013, 10:38 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,969,640 times
Coming from the opposite end of the spectrum, I envy some northern locales' snowy winters and at the very least more variety in the seasons with more fall colour to enjoy.

I am one of those who DOES envy that person at the "top of the world" in Manhattan. I'd love to live in a condo high-rise with a view of Central Park.

Or a high-rise in downtown LA with views of the Pacific and the mountains. Or maybe downtown Seattle with views of the Puget Sound and mountains. You guys get my point... haha

I also envy the liberalism of other places compared to here.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:51 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,133,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Coming from the opposite end of the spectrum, I envy some northern locales' snowy winters and at the very least more variety in the seasons with more fall colour to enjoy.

I am one of those who DOES envy that person at the "top of the world" in Manhattan. I'd love to live in a condo high-rise with a view of Central Park.

Or a high-rise in downtown LA with views of the Pacific and the mountains. Or maybe downtown Seattle with views of the Puget Sound and mountains. You guys get my point... haha

I also envy the liberalism of other places compared to here.
Your view of the Pacific from Downtown LA might be a bit obstructed. But yes, I get your point.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:53 AM

2,699 posts, read 2,410,445 times
I envy warm states because winters in Minnesota are generally crappy.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:36 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,856,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
As a Californian, I have lots of envy towards you non-Californians in certain regards.

Cost of living is the big one, except for you New Yorkers.

I briefly lived on the East Coast, and I loved the constant changing in states/locales when you take a road trip. Encounter so many historical areas and cities. You kind of get that driving through California, but not as much in my opinion.

I loved the proximity to so many big cities by car as well. For example, if you lived in Nashville, you are just 1 (sometimes long) day's drive away from New York, DC, Orlando, Atlanta, St. Louis, Chicago, Dallas, etc. Opens up a ton of interesting road trip options, and my opinion is nothing beats seeing this great country in a car.

I envy your rest areas. I encountered some terrific rest areas/ welcome areas entering a lot of different states. In California I'd rather stop and pee in a bush.
As someone who has driven from Fairbanks, AK to Chicagoland, I hate driving. That said, I AGREE with you 100%.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:50 AM

6,540 posts, read 12,037,130 times
The city I really envy is Tokyo. I wish Atlanta could be more like it with its convenient train system, low crime rate, and futuristic technology. The only thing I envy about American cities is having an extensive train system, such as NYC and DC. Now I envy Atlanta because I can't live there while I'm active duty in the Navy.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:45 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,923,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
cuz most people in your city don't spend April and October indoors.
That's kind of a load, you know.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:49 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countofmc View Post
As a Californian, I have lots of envy towards you non-Californians in certain regards.

Cost of living is the big one, except for you New Yorkers.

I briefly lived on the East Coast, and I loved the constant changing in states/locales when you take a road trip. Encounter so many historical areas and cities. You kind of get that driving through California, but not as much in my opinion.

I loved the proximity to so many big cities by car as well. For example, if you lived in Nashville, you are just 1 (sometimes long) day's drive away from New York, DC, Orlando, Atlanta, St. Louis, Chicago, Dallas, etc. Opens up a ton of interesting road trip options, and my opinion is nothing beats seeing this great country in a car.

I envy your rest areas. I encountered some terrific rest areas/ welcome areas entering a lot of different states. In California I'd rather stop and pee in a bush.

Nothing, if I wanted to live somewhere else I would and when I want to travel and see other places I do. Nothing to envy anywhere and no one to envy either.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:25 AM

2,758 posts, read 5,286,577 times
I'm occasionally envious of the ability to travel relatively cheaply around the country, drive to a variety of climactic zones, and so forth. Warm rain, fireflies, and starry summer nights are also things we don't get up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.