Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 07:53 AM

14 posts, read 16,558 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I know that my question has a lot to do with the company I keep than the city in general, but I was wondering if there were any major cities that are less centered around going to bars/clubs as a means of socializing. I'm in a college town right now where basically the only way to have fun is to drink and I'm getting really sick of it honestly. I don't mind drinking every now and then (hell I'm on a hangover right now as I type this), but I find this form of entertainment to be tiresome after a while and I also hate hanging around people who can't seem to have fun unless they're drunk or high.

I'm much more into doing outdoor activities, going to a sporting event (and actually watching the game because you love your team/the game, not just as an excuse to get drunk), or having an intelligent conversation with people about politics, etc.

I don't mean to sound pretentious as I'm hardly some ivy-educated bodybuilder, but I was wondering if there were cities that lend themselves more to an intellectual/active lifestyle as opposed to just a bar scene. Again, it's fun to drink and get sloshed every now and then, but I don't think my body or my bank account can take the punishment that drinking heavily every week will do to them and I dislike the culture/prevailing attitude surrounding that whole scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2013, 08:09 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,167,736 times
25 states have "dry" cities, places that ban the sale of alcoholic beverages. I imagine they could have what you're seeking.

List of dry communities by U.S. state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-08-2013, 08:39 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,035,165 times
beach communities offer the best of both worlds.

Old 06-08-2013, 09:01 AM

16 posts, read 19,222 times
From my own experience, I would look into places that offer a lot of options for entertainment. Unfortunately, people abuse alcohol everywhere, but I think it's worse when you live some place with nothing to keep you occupied. I can't offer any specific places, but I believe being in a larger place will make it easier to choose activities you like and avoid the booze scene.

Old 06-08-2013, 11:55 AM

10,766 posts, read 23,891,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
beach communities offer the best of both worlds.
I whole heartedly agree with this. The Beach has the paradoxical elements of the hardcore party life, but also some beaches have the serene environment that give the feeling of being away from life's BS elements, looking at the ocean and leaving it all behind.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
25 states have "dry" cities, places that ban the sale of alcoholic beverages. I imagine they could have what you're seeking.

List of dry communities by U.S. state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Living in a dry country, community or that type of environment I think is as effective as prohibition was in the 1920's. No matter where you are though, one has to make decisions with absolute conviction on the kind of life they want to live and choose to surround them selves with the kind of people that have a healthy reflection of how one ideally sees themselves. This is everywhere.

Old 06-08-2013, 12:56 PM

14 posts, read 16,558 times
Thanks for the responses, but to clarify, I need to be in a major city. My career choice (finance/accounting) lends itself to being in a metro with lots of commerce activity, plus I enjoy the amenities of being in a large city (by large city, I mean something at least the size of Raleigh, not just the megacities). I'm mostly just looking for cities that will give me access to the outdoors and has an "intellectual" (I hate that word because it sounds so pretentious) culture.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayernMunich View Post
Thanks for the responses, but to clarify, I need to be in a major city. My career choice (finance/accounting) lends itself to being in a metro with lots of commerce activity, plus I enjoy the amenities of being in a large city (by large city, I mean something at least the size of Raleigh, not just the megacities). I'm mostly just looking for cities that will give me access to the outdoors and has an "intellectual" (I hate that word because it sounds so pretentious) culture.
Seattle, Portland, and Denver.

Old 06-08-2013, 01:52 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,488,692 times
Salt Lake City would be perfect. Skiing and Mormonism = healthy lifestyle.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:33 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,167,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Living in a dry country, community or that type of environment I think is as effective as prohibition was in the 1920's.
I agree that dry laws won't prevent citizens from consuming alcohol. They'll just buy it from the nearest wet place. My parents went to college in a dry town and have tales from their college days of routine drives from dry college town to wet county seat to buy beer and wine.

But those laws would prevent taverns from operating (legally) on every street corner. I think that could lead to the kind of effect the OP was looking for. There would have to be a substitute activity to provide nightlife, like a bowling alley or a restaurant scene. Not everyone is going to be willing take the risk of going to a speakeasy type of place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.