Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 05:02 AM

8 posts, read 9,381 times

Advertisements

I am currently a history student at the University of Kent in England. Next year I have chosen to study in the USA as part of my year abroad but I am having trouble choosing a university to attend. I have some criteria - could you help?

- Quintessentially American.
- Not too cold.
- College city/town.
- Good for history.
- All-American.
- Wild West feel - Not a literal Wild West town/just a state associated with the Old West - Really interested in the Old West. (However, this isn't majorly important).
- More girls than guys.
- Not a complete party school.

Here are my choices:
California State University, Long Beach
Indiana University
Lehigh University
Marquette University
Mount Holyoke College
Pennsylvania University
Purdue University
San Diego State University
State University of New York Buffalo
University of California
University of Kansas
University Maryland at College Park
University of Massachusetts at Amherst
University of Miami
University of North Carolina Charlotte
University of South Carolina
University of Tennessee at Knoxville
University of Wisconsin Milwaukee
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.

I was thinking Kansas, Lehigh, Purdue, Tennessee and South Carolina.

Thanks

Last edited by mikeross478; 05-20-2013 at 05:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 05:53 AM

Bump

Old 05-20-2013, 05:55 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,529,363 times
Maryland

Old 05-20-2013, 06:00 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
University of Kansas. An excellent school, in a very nice college town, less than an hour from a major city, but still a proper community. It's the only place on your list that is well-removed from the mainstream of America's "coastal" mentality.

I think it best meets all your criteria, but I don't know about the gender ratio. I think all American universities now are more girls than guys.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:04 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,287,954 times
You're not going to get a "Wild West" feel at any of those.

For "history", you've got options. Anything in New England/the northeast is going to get you near colonial-era history. That would be Lehigh, Mt. Holyoke, Penn, UMass-Amherst. Also note that Penn is an Ivy League school, so it might get bonus points for that. Maryland gets you near to DC, and all that city has to offer. Tennessee and South Carolina will give you a southern experience (and all that is SEC football(!)).

I would think Purdue and Va. tech would have the lowest percentage of female students.

SUNY-Buffalo will have a cold, snowy winter. Probably Marquette, too.

California is . . . California. If you want that experience, go for it. Same with Miami. You can't beat the climate at those schools, but you'll have an experience particular to those states/cities.

UNC-Charlotte and Wisconsin-Milwaukee aren't the main campus for their schools. I would think you'd want the main-campus experience.

You'd have a solid, middle-America, college town experience at Indiana, Purdue and Kansas.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:26 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
I also agree Indiana, Purdue or Kansas will offer the most quintessential American feel of any of your choices with West Lafayette (Purdue) the best fit as more average American. Bloomington (Indiana) and Lawrence (Kansas) are very progressive communities which unfortunately are the exception versus rule the here in the US, so keep that in mind when choosing where to live for a year.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
University of Kansas. An excellent school, in a very nice college town, less than an hour from a major city, but still a proper community. It's the only place on your list that is well-removed from the mainstream of America's "coastal" mentality.

I think it best meets all your criteria, but I don't know about the gender ratio. I think all American universities now are more girls than guys.
Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
You're not going to get a "Wild West" feel at any of those.

For "history", you've got options. Anything in New England/the northeast is going to get you near colonial-era history. That would be Lehigh, Mt. Holyoke, Penn, UMass-Amherst. Also note that Penn is an Ivy League school, so it might get bonus points for that. Maryland gets you near to DC, and all that city has to offer. Tennessee and South Carolina will give you a southern experience (and all that is SEC football(!)).

I would think Purdue and Va. tech would have the lowest percentage of female students.

SUNY-Buffalo will have a cold, snowy winter. Probably Marquette, too.

California is . . . California. If you want that experience, go for it. Same with Miami. You can't beat the climate at those schools, but you'll have an experience particular to those states/cities.

UNC-Charlotte and Wisconsin-Milwaukee aren't the main campus for their schools. I would think you'd want the main-campus experience.

You'd have a solid, middle-America, college town experience at Indiana, Purdue and Kansas.
Ok, I like the look of Indiana and Kansas; however, Purdue not so much. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I also agree Indiana, Purdue or Kansas will offer the most quintessential American feel of any of your choices with West Lafayette (Purdue) the best fit as more average American. Bloomington (Indiana) and Lawrence (Kansas) are very progressive communities which unfortunately are the exception versus rule the here in the US, so keep that in mind when choosing where to live for a year.
Thanks

Anyone got info on U South Carolina? - Columbia looks a nice place

Old 05-20-2013, 07:03 AM

8,628 posts, read 9,134,034 times
Maryland

Old 05-20-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Maryland

Care to elaborate?

Old 05-20-2013, 08:07 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
When you say Pennsylvania University, is that Penn State University or the University of Pennsylvania? They are different schools. My understanding is that the University of Pennsylvania has an excellent history department and of course Philly, as well as some of the surrounding areas have historic locations. There are a lot of towns around Philly which are quaint, quintessentially American - check out: Explore Classic Towns | Classic Towns of Greater Philadelphia

It does get pretty cold in the winter but the spring is warm and summers are hot and frankly, I think you should make your choice based on the school/their history department rather than the weather or the girl to guy ratio.

Take a look at this list of the unis with the best history programs: Best History Programs | Top History Schools | US News Best Graduate Schools - Uni of Penn ranks pretty high. Looks like the only one on your list to rank higher is the Uni of California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.