Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 02:01 PM

49 posts, read 98,011 times

Advertisements

By integrated, i don't mean cities where all the blacks lived in one neighborhood and all the whites in another, or where whites fled as soon as a black family moved in. Were there cities where blacks, whites, and Latinos, and Asians actually could live in the same apartment complex or as next door neighbors in the 1970s, in relative peace? I assume this would be most likely to happen in New York City or some places in California? Are there any other cities or specific neighborhoods, preferably urban areas in the midwest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 03:29 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,180,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viv_smi98 View Post
By integrated, i don't mean cities where all the blacks lived in one neighborhood and all the whites in another, or where whites fled as soon as a black family moved in. Were there cities where blacks, whites, and Latinos, and Asians actually could live in the same apartment complex or as next door neighbors in the 1970s, in relative peace? I assume this would be most likely to happen in New York City or some places in California? Are there any other cities or specific neighborhoods, preferably urban areas in the midwest?
The South is far more integrated than the North and the races have always shared space in the South.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:58 PM

96 posts, read 100,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
The South is far more integrated than the North and the races have always shared space in the South.
The joke of today.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:13 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,141,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Kid View Post
The joke of today.
No, seriously, not a joke.
My family moved from VERY segregated Silicon Valley to Raleigh in the 70s when I was a kid. The races were way more integrated in Raleigh than anything that I saw in California. I think that my elementary school classes had exactly one minority (an Asian girl) my entire time there. When I arrived at school in Raleigh, my classes were well integrated from day 1.

Old 02-08-2015, 05:40 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viv_smi98 View Post
Many cities had an area or areas that were integrated around that time, if not well before 1970. An area of a Midwestern city that comes to mind is Detroit's Southwestern side, which is probably the city's most integrated section today. It is where the city's Latino/Hispanic community is concentrated, but it includes at least notable Black and White populations too.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:06 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,594,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Many cities had an area or areas that were integrated around that time, if not well before 1970. An area of a Midwestern city that comes to mind is Detroit's Southwestern side, which is probably the city's most integrated section today. It is where the city's Latino/Hispanic community is concentrated, but it includes at least notable Black and White populations too.
I'm pretty sure Detroit actually had a low Hispanic population in 1970 but either way, most of the city was pretty diverse. Integration sort depends on how small of a scale you want to go, but my relatives who grew up in the city during the 1970s often spoke of how diverse it was and the many groups of people you could find in many neighborhoods, particularly the east side. There were a few notable neighborhoods that were institutionally segregated, but they were typically the very wealthy areas like Palmer Woods and in some of the new developed areas on the west side.

Detroit become much more of a segregated city in the 1980s and 90s due to income inequality and the fact that so many affluent people (both white and black) left the city for the suburbs. There are still whites (not including the recent downtown trend) in Detroit today, but a vast majority are poor or senior citizens.

https://detroithistorical.wordpress....ap-quest-viii/

Last edited by animatedmartian; 02-08-2015 at 07:15 PM..

Old 02-08-2015, 08:27 PM

93,164 posts, read 123,754,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
I'm pretty sure Detroit actually had a low Hispanic population in 1970 but either way, most of the city was pretty diverse. Integration sort depends on how small of a scale you want to go, but my relatives who grew up in the city during the 1970s often spoke of how diverse it was and the many groups of people you could find in many neighborhoods, particularly the east side. There were a few notable neighborhoods that were institutionally segregated, but they were typically the very wealthy areas like Palmer Woods and in some of the new developed areas on the west side.

Detroit become much more of a segregated city in the 1980s and 90s due to income inequality and the fact that so many affluent people (both white and black) left the city for the suburbs. There are still whites (not including the recent downtown trend) in Detroit today, but a vast majority are poor or senior citizens.

https://detroithistorical.wordpress....ap-quest-viii/
True.....While there were Mexicans in SW during that time, as that map shows, it wasn't to the degree it is now. SW was largely Eastern and to a lesser degree Southern European, but still had notable Black, Mexican and Southern White populations.

I didn't realize how mixed/diverse Detroit's East Side was though.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:14 AM

447 posts, read 495,569 times
Quote:
Though we have neighborhoods that are all black here in Michigan cities, there are no neighborhoods that do not have black residence.

As for the how the South? I cannot speak first hand as I have lived down there for more than 20 years, but my best friend from childhood moved from Kalamazoo to Atlanta in 2000 and has had a lot of problems since. His biggest problem is the number of times that been pulled over for being guilty of Driving While Black in the wrong neighborhood. .....FYI there is nothing about the way he looks or acts that should draw the police's attention. He is middle age, dresses conservatively, drives a newer pickup, and dose not listen to rap music or crank his car stereo.

Old 02-09-2015, 10:15 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,180,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernwilly View Post
Though we have neighborhoods that are all black here in Michigan cities, there are no neighborhoods that do not have black residence.

As for the how the South? I cannot speak first hand as I have lived down there for more than 20 years, but my best friend from childhood moved from Kalamazoo to Atlanta in 2000 and has had a lot of problems since. His biggest problem is the number of times that been pulled over for being guilty of Driving While Black in the wrong neighborhood. .....FYI there is nothing about the way he looks or acts that should draw the police's attention. He is middle age, dresses conservatively, drives a newer pickup, and dose not listen to rap music or crank his car stereo.
There is an old saying that "In the South you can get as close as you want, just dont get too big, in the North you can get as big as you want, just dont get too close." The is pretty much sums up American racial attitudes and housing patterns.

The South has always been more integrated than the North, from a social aspect and residential patterns. The problem is that when Jim Crow was still alive and well, blacks had to basically hold their heads down and take a slave like persona in the presence of whites. In the North, blacks were allowed to be as outspoken as they wanted to be, but defacto segregation through redlining and housing covenants essential kept blacks socially and economically isolated in rundown ghetto neighborhoods.

As far as Atlanta, that is hardly a Southern phenomenon. Blacks get profiled everywhere. New York is the home of stop and frisk. Blacks would literally get beaten by angry white mobs for going into certain White neighborhoods in Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago etc. and this was not that long ago. Hell, there are still areas of New York and Chicago that have unspoken rules.

Old 02-09-2015, 11:00 AM

5,975 posts, read 13,111,142 times
Quote:
There is an old saying that "In the South you can get as close as you want, just dont get too big, in the North you can get as big as you want, just dont get too close." The is pretty much sums up American racial attitudes and housing patterns.

The South has always been more integrated than the North, from a social aspect and residential patterns. The problem is that when Jim Crow was still alive and well, blacks had to basically hold their heads down and take a slave like persona in the presence of whites. In the North, blacks were allowed to be as outspoken as they wanted to be, but defacto segregation through redlining and housing covenants essential kept blacks socially and economically isolated in rundown ghetto neighborhoods.

As far as Atlanta, that is hardly a Southern phenomenon. Blacks get profiled everywhere. New York is the home of stop and frisk. Blacks would literally get beaten by angry white mobs for going into certain White neighborhoods in Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago etc. and this was not that long ago. Hell, there are still areas of New York and Chicago that have unspoken rules.
Interesting. I have heard this before. Although I am not racist in the least bit, I do prefer the Southern model over the northern model.

It really explains why I'm not a huge fan of Chicago (even though I grew up in the suburbs).

I prefer living a fairly "statistically balanced city" and I want friends and associated of all different race and ethnicities, living in a place that has a restaurant of every ethnic group, even it the authenticity is slightly watered down. Yet, I dislike clannish urban ethnic enclaves, I have little use for them, and I by and large don't like it when ANY group of people "stick together" and claim they are victims. Any group. I like places best with a lot of people who act in ways that are the opposite of whatever negative stereotype their ethnicity/race is associated with. Largely because my career is community college education, and one can not be out of touch with the diverse student body. I love it when I get African Americans who are as academically strong as my average White and Asian students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.