Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 09:56 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,925,995 times

Advertisements

Colorado Springs

Old 05-28-2013, 10:02 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Denver, as mentioned, is a good option but you did mention city life might be too much. If you do visit Denver and find the city a bit too big for your liking, there are also several great close by smaller cities such as Boulder and Colorado Springs. There are also a number of former mining towns (some turned ski resorts) in Colorado which have populations of various sizes and are often very charming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 10:47 PM

494 posts, read 804,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDanger View Post
I would recommend a town within a couple miles of a Great Lake. Usually the lake makes summer temps bearable and provides snow while increasing some frigid winter temps. Maybe something along the eastern shore of Lake Michigan. Anybody from that area have any insight, or another lake spot that is similar. I would recommend where I'm at but the north shore of Lake Superior gets a bit chilly in winter.
Along and west of us 131 averages between 80" -110" inches of snow ( Alot of Lake effect snow ) and generally summers are not too hot either. Still can get a good dose of heat and humidity as we saw last summer. Average highs peak at around 83 in July. And yes the lake keeps temps from getting too hot in summer and keeps it from getting brutally cold in winter. Flip side is with winter is along with all of that snow ( thanks to the lake ) you also tend to get a ton of cloudy days as well thanks to the lake. Thing is with this area you are only a couple of hours TOPS from a major metro such as Chicago or Detroit and even Grand Rapids is a decent mid sized city. A ton of open country in W.MI as well as small towns and a couple of mid sized ones. Basically plenty for everyone. The other thing is the lake water temps usually peak in the mid/upper 70s ( around 80 southern end of lake ) which is decent for swimming. Personally i love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Colorado Springs
Yeah it has a similar climate to what i mentioned above ( peak summer average high is 85 ) but not nearly as snowy though as the average there which is 37.8" per the NWS nowdata page. Denver is a bit better with a average of 53.5" BUT snow does not tend to stick around long either thanks to down sloping winds which can send the temps through the roof in a hurry anytime of year. Denver is as well a bit hotter in summer with temps peaking out at 90 during July. Boulder, CO is alot more fitting as they average 87.6" inches of snow and peak summer high temp is 88..

Weather data is from NOAA/NWS.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:28 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
some of the colorado towns could fit nicely as well as some of the spots in new mexico

however, reading your post everything about it pretty much screamed Flagstaff

you'll have on average 275 days a year without precipitation, plenty of sun, dry climate, plenty of snow (100" on average), average summer highs are in the high 70s/low 80s, small city/college town with a nice feel to it, a little over 2 hours away from a very large city in phoenix and a spot where you can go to warm up if feeling a little too cold in the winter - not to mention the world of difference between those 2 cities ... from up in the tall pine trees to the desert among the saguaros

storms can be intense - both snow and thunderstorms ........ July/August is when you'll have the most monsoon activity there ....... the storms are intense and fairly brief - will bring a some humidity, some gray ... but generally blows through pretty fast

Old 05-31-2013, 06:18 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerDanger View Post
I would recommend a town within a couple miles of a Great Lake. Usually the lake makes summer temps bearable and provides snow while increasing some frigid winter temps. Maybe something along the eastern shore of Lake Michigan. Anybody from that area have any insight, or another lake spot that is similar. I would recommend where I'm at but the north shore of Lake Superior gets a bit chilly in winter.
I live just a couple miles from the Eastern side of Lake Michigan and you are 100% correct. If you are right on the lake, it is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter with plenty of snowfall. Just driving inland 15 or 20 miles can change the temp between 10 and 20 degrees depending on the season (biggest differences in Spring and Fall). The annual snowfall increases the further you get away from the Lake for about 30-35 miles then very slowly tapers off.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:44 PM

157 posts, read 301,858 times
Park City, Utah or Colorado... Denver foothills

Old 07-08-2014, 08:33 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,756,994 times
Another plug for Flagstaff, AZ.

The summers here manage to be sunny, AND mild. The monsoon is a site to behold. Massive thunderstorms billowing up in a clear blue sky and cooling things from 85F to 65F in 20 minutes, only to have the sun emerge a couple hour later. Big snowstorms too, followed by blue sunshine. A bluebird day after a foot of powdery snow is heavenly. And for variety, you get to see pine and spruce fir forests around Flagstaff, high desert red rock country in Sedona, and in midwinter you can head down to see the low deserts around Phoenix and Tucson.

Coming here from the Pacific Northwest, it was a bit shocking to feel the dry, windy days of spring, but when the monsoons hit, it feels lush and kind of like the Southwest in the mornings, and the Oregon Coast at times in the late afternoons and evenings (after the thunderstorms have cooled it off and raised the humidity). It seems like the best fit to the climate preferences of the OP, and it would be an exotic change. I should also add that Flag has a relatively large Native American population, which adds to its interest, and friendly people overall.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:49 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,340,319 times
Flagstaff, Arizona comes to mind.

You could live up in the mountains of Southern or Central California. I think the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas in California may work, too. Then there's Redding, CA and Shasta.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:54 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,756,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by things and stuff View Post
Flagstaff, Arizona comes to mind.

You could live up in the mountains of Southern or Central California. I think the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas in California may work, too. Then there's Redding, CA and Shasta.
I think Redding summers would turn the OP into a bit of dried whitefish. Mt. Shasta, CA and Bend, OR might combine mild summers and snow as well, without being arctic.

Old 08-31-2014, 03:28 PM

1 posts, read 2,180 times
Bend, Oregon... Its a high desert climate with dry summers and the winters get snow. Your right next to the Cascade mountains and no matter the season there are many outdoor things that you can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.