Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 06:57 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times

Advertisements

Metro areas with the highest percentages of same-sex couples who are raising children are located in socially conservative states with constitutional bans on marriage equality in place.

At 26 percent, Salt Lake City, Utah topped the list of large U.S. cities with the most same-sex couples raising children, while at the state level, Mississippi had the highest percentage, also with 26 percent. Following closely behind were Virginia Beach, Va., Detroit and Memphis, Tenn.

Interestingly, smaller cities showed even higher rates of same-sex parents. More than 60 percent of same-sex couples in the North Dakota towns of Grand Forks and Bismarck were raising children.

Article with picture graph is here Gay Parents In The U.S.: Salt Lake City Has Highest Population Of Same-Sex Couples Raising Kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 09:31 AM

10,748 posts, read 23,809,943 times
I have to wonder how many of these family arrangements come from previous heterosexual marriages and relationships with underlying closeted homosexuality.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:48 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,283,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I have to wonder how many of these family arrangements come from previous heterosexual marriages and relationships with underlying closeted homosexuality.
From the article

"LGBT people in socially conservative areas likely come out later in life and are more likely to have relationships with different-sex partners while they are young that sometimes produce children," Gary J. Gates, the researcher behind the study,

Old 05-23-2013, 11:37 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,441,956 times
I'm guessing this has at least a little to do with the fact that more liberal northern cities are bigger draws for people who aren't ready to settle down yet, whatever their sexual orientation is, so in San Francisco, there will be a lot more gay couples without kids than in, say, Oklahoma City.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:50 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,947,108 times
Does this study mention absolute numbers in addition to percentages. It's possible to have a high percentage but low number of same sex couples with kids.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:45 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,213,679 times
This just shows that being gay is not a choice!

Old 05-24-2013, 06:25 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,585,299 times
Quote:
I have to wonder how many of these family arrangements come from previous heterosexual marriages
This may have something to do with it but with the gay couples I know from my church* most with children were born or adopted after the couple were formed.

* This may come as a shock to some that "open and affirming" churches exist in the south. Gay and straight people worshiping together - what a concept.

Old 05-24-2013, 06:56 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times
I agree, not all churches preach hate. I been to and love the people of at least four in Charlotte area that are mix straight and gay congregations. I actually prefer going to those churches than like a Unitarian or a church with a majority gay congregation.
In relation to the thread title however the county Charlotte is in as well as 7 others voted against NC amendment 1.

Y'all brought up an interesting point or theory on the couples became families.
The child may have come from dating someone of the opposite sex. The few I know is how it is.
It would be great data for census to do and this includes straight couples. List kids from previous relationships.

I also ponder is there a difference between amount of gay families and straight families in the cities or states listed in my OP, or are they close to the same with just better area for families in general.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:17 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,678,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
From the article

"LGBT people in socially conservative areas likely come out later in life and are more likely to have relationships with different-sex partners while they are young that sometimes produce children," Gary J. Gates, the researcher behind the study,
Well there you go.

Old 05-25-2013, 01:43 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,031,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel03 View Post
I'm guessing this has at least a little to do with the fact that more liberal northern cities are bigger draws for people who aren't ready to settle down yet, whatever their sexual orientation is, so in San Francisco, there will be a lot more gay couples without kids than in, say, Oklahoma City.
When did San Francisco become a northern city?

I was thinking that any large city is probably more of a draw for people who want to party and experience that side of gay life - not just "northern cities". Places like Salt Lake City and Mississippi are probably much more conducive to raising a family than to being single.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.