Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Hawaiian Island
Oahu 9 50.00%
Maui 3 16.67%
Kauai 2 11.11%
Hawaii Island (Big Island) 4 22.22%
Molokai 0 0%
Lanai 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 04:03 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times

Advertisements

** This thread/poll is for mainlanders , reason for it being in the General US forum **

Have you been to Hawaii? Been to one island or several? Which island is your favorite? Here is some listed criteria...

- Best Beaches
- Most friendly
- Most Scenic
- Best recreational pursuits
- Best cultural feel
- Overall favorite

If you've never been to Hawaii, are there any particular islands that that you'd like to explore given the opportunity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 07:31 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
Maui Nō Ka ʻOi

Old 05-23-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
Maui Nō Ka ʻOi
Mahalo, yes Maui has something for everyone. I think it's the best beach island. A day at Makena Beach and then stopping at a fruit stand for fresh pineapple on the way in and food truck on the way out for a fish taco, and listening to a local band with outside seating in Lahaina while watching a sunset over the ocean is a perfect day in Hawaii.

Though I'm quite partial to the Big Island for its variety of lush tropical terrain, mountains/volcanos, lava rock covered desert, agriculture, and overall friendliness.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-23-2013 at 08:50 PM..

Old 05-23-2013, 08:36 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Oahu. I like the other islands too, but Oahu offers much more. Contrary to popular belief, it's not just one big touristy city. It has that, yes, but also it's more isolated and serene spots, like the North Shore and Lanikai Beach. The other islands are serene and beautiful, but if someone wanted perhaps more "chain restaurants" larger stores or big city amenities, you can't really get it. In Oahu you can live in a nice relaxed area but still head into the city if you want.

Old 05-24-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Oahu. I like the other islands too, but Oahu offers much more. Contrary to popular belief, it's not just one big touristy city. It has that, yes, but also it's more isolated and serene spots, like the North Shore and Lanikai Beach. The other islands are serene and beautiful, but if someone wanted perhaps more "chain restaurants" larger stores or big city amenities, you can't really get it. In Oahu you can live in a nice relaxed area but still head into the city if you want.
I suppose that's something to consider for living in Hawaii, however my idea of a Hawaiian vacation usually doesn't really include dining at PF Changs or TGI Fridays, locating where the best mall is, or urban environments. I'd rather go to where they have the best beaches, hiking/recreation, for dining finding the best Ahi Poke or Kalua pork, and farmers markets for island fruit and produce. Maui didn't seem too short on shopping and civilization to me. I haven't made it to Oahu yet, though I'd be more interested in hearing about the unique attributes of Honolulu & Oahu and things that are less everyday commercial and more uniquely Hawaiian/Pacific Rim.

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 05-24-2013 at 02:59 PM..

Old 05-24-2013, 04:51 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
I suppose that's something to consider for living in Hawaii, however my idea of a Hawaiian vacation usually doesn't really include dining at PF Changs or TGI Fridays, locating where the best mall is, or urban environments. I'd rather go to where they have the best beaches, hiking/recreation, for dining finding the best Ahi Poke or Kalua pork, and farmers markets for island fruit and produce. Maui didn't seem too short on shopping and civilization to me. I haven't made it to Oahu yet, though I'd be more interested in hearing about the unique attributes of Honolulu & Oahu and things that are less everyday commercial and more uniquely Hawaiian/Pacific Rim.
Yes, I agree with you there. Personally I'm not interested very much in those types of restaurants, but if someone were living in Hawaii, perhaps they'd like to go every now and then. Many stores in Oahu carry poke and traditional types of Hawaiian, Asian or Island foods. I can recommend the shrimp trucks near the North Shore-absolutely delicious!

And that is where there's more isolation.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:03 PM

One of my lifetime goals is to get to Kauai and hike the Napali Coast...

Island of Kauai, Hawaii - YouTube

Old 06-24-2013, 06:13 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
One of my lifetime goals is to get to Kauai and hike the Napali Coast...

Island of Kauai, Hawaii - YouTube
Kauai is beautiful, though I've been there too briefly and still need to go hike the Na Pali Coast myself. All in all it was the calmest of the three islands that I've been to--I had a lot of friends from Hawaii in college and all the Oahu kids would talk about going to Kauai to take a vacation from Oahu, "It's all country out there." Really laid back and really interesting for hiking.

I've never been to Maui, though I'll have to say that the Big Island might be my favorite. Just a really dramatic range of scenery. Kona is a really nice little tourist town if not amazing in terms of the town itself--but it's nice enough in terms of it's location to warrant a stay. But the best part is just driving around that island--you go from black sand beaches with pine trees above to blue water coves to drier desert like volcanic landscapes to active volcanoes to rain-forest and tropical valleys on the other side. The leeward/windward split just seems more pronounced on the Big Island. There's some great snorkeling spots south of Kona as well--and there's some interesting historical sights as well.

Oahu is interesting--there's places on the North Shore and Kailua that are just as nice as anywhere in the other islands in terms of beaches. It's the best place to see the diversity of Hawaii--and there's all kinds of interesting restaurants. Though it can be a little more hectice(as hectic as Hawaii gets)--Waikiki is sort of a weird Vegas-on-the-islands feel. It's a good places to have friends in though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.