Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 12:20 PM

85 posts, read 160,721 times

Advertisements

So does anyone want to take a stab at this question "Why don't Indians/Pakistanis/Bangladeshis live on the West Coast in as large numbers as the East Coast?" Key words: AS LARGE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 10:05 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaKlwn8523 View Post
So does anyone want to take a stab at this question "Why don't Indians/Pakistanis/Bangladeshis live on the West Coast in as large numbers as the East Coast?" Key words: AS LARGE.
They do and you are just being difficult. The bay are is #2 and has a higher % than NY. Phillys numbers are low Bostons low. DC is higher but not much more than LA. But really WHO CARES.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:26 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaKlwn8523 View Post
The question has already been answered for you. Outside of NYC, they dont. NYC is the major nexus of international immigration for the country so its hard for anyone else to really compete with it. The Bay Area alone has more Indians than the rest of the Northeast outside of NYC/Jersey.

Old 05-27-2013, 02:40 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,012,289 times
Rewording the OP's question to what I think he wanted to know.

The reason South Asians don't disproportionately congregate on the West Coast the way that some East/Southeast Asian groups (Koreans, Filipinos, or Vietnamese) do is because that most of those groups followed over initial "seed" populations of refugees and/or agricultural workers who came to Southern California. In contrast, there were hardly any Indians or other South Asians in the U.S. before the 1980s, so they just migrated to wherever they could get a job. Given much of the first wave were legal immigrants with higher level of education, they tended to follow jobs to higher-income areas, like the suburbs around NYC and the Bay Area, and not so much destinations for low wage, low-skill immigrants. But they still tended to settle around major urban areas which had international airports, as it made flying back home to relatives much easier.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:40 AM

808 posts, read 1,877,633 times
Couple theories

1) Proximity - Europe is closer to the East coast, hence more Europeans on the East Coast than the West Coast. East Asia is closer to the West Coast than the East Coast, hence more East Asians on the West Coast than the East Coast. India is roughly equidistant to both coasts so there is no proximity bias for them.

2) English - English is an official language in India and Pakistan and is widely spoken in business, government and higher education. Thus there is less of a language barrier for South Asians immigrating to the US and they feel more confident moving to areas without as many fellow countrymen.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:22 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,676,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red4ce View Post
Couple theories

1) Proximity - Europe is closer to the East coast, hence more Europeans on the East Coast than the West Coast. East Asia is closer to the West Coast than the East Coast, hence more East Asians on the West Coast than the East Coast. India is roughly equidistant to both coasts so there is no proximity bias for them.
I think there's some validity to this.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I think there's some validity to this.
It's not so much about proximity, as it is about locating near a major international airport which offers a flight to your home country. I'm sure LAX provides a number of direct flights to India, but I wouldn't be surprised if JFK offers more flights, and also flights to more cities.

While I haven't known Indians who've done this, I have known people with relatives overseas who carefully considered which cities offered the best/cheapest flights back home before deciding where to locate.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:28 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
It's not so much about proximity, as it is about locating near a major international airport which offers a flight to your home country. I'm sure LAX provides a number of direct flights to India, but I wouldn't be surprised if JFK offers more flights, and also flights to more cities.

While I haven't known Indians who've done this, I have known people with relatives overseas who carefully considered which cities offered the best/cheapest flights back home before deciding where to locate.
There are no nonstop flights to India from anywhere other than New York-JFK, Newark, Chicago, and Toronto. Regardless, most Indians do not use Air India, they use the Gulf carriers (Emirates, Qatar, and Etihad). Etihad flies to New York, DC, and Chicago. Qatar flies to New York, DC, Chicago, and Houston. Emirates flies to New York, DC, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. All provide connections to every city in India big and small.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:57 PM

379 posts, read 467,740 times
The Bangladeshi and Pakistani population in NYC absolutely trounces anywhere else in the USA though.

NYC (city proper - not metro) alone has 53,174 Bengalis and 41,887 Pakistanis, per 2010 census data. No place else in the country comes close to those numbers - via % or in absolutes. Over 8,000 people immigrated to NYC Metro area from Bangladesh in 2012 alone - they are a really growing presence in the city these days.

Indian immigration is across the board these days, and the Bay Area is far and away the second largest hub after NYC in the country.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
There are no nonstop flights to India from anywhere other than New York-JFK, Newark, Chicago, and Toronto. Regardless, most Indians do not use Air India, they use the Gulf carriers (Emirates, Qatar, and Etihad). Etihad flies to New York, DC, and Chicago. Qatar flies to New York, DC, Chicago, and Houston. Emirates flies to New York, DC, Dallas, Houston, Los Angeles, and San Francisco. All provide connections to every city in India big and small.
I stand corrected. Pretty much proves my point otherwise though. People are migrating to where they can get the most flights back home easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.