Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 03:13 PM

690 posts, read 963,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Eh... You aren't going to find serious hills in a metro that big in the Midwest. Only rolling hills at best. You can find excellent hills around some of the cities, but not in them. If you want hills going straight up out of valleys and such inside a big city (Like LA or Nashville or Pittsburgh, etc.), you gotta look outside of the Midwest.

Then again, you may only be looking for a rather gentle roll.

Correction: Other than Cincinnati. Looks like that's your dream come true.
as long as its not completely flat, its ok
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 03:33 PM

690 posts, read 963,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Alton is part of the St. Louis metro.
gotcha
so is st louis a good choice?

Old 05-29-2013, 03:59 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,554,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
Omaha is about as hilly as freshly pressed pair of slacks.

Same goes for Lincoln.

I would suggest Rapid City, SD
Rapid City is not Midwestern. While it is quite hilly and sunny, once you get out of the Black Hills it's not necessarily very green. It's also a fairly small metro and somewhat isolated.

Old 05-29-2013, 04:10 PM

3,678 posts, read 7,213,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Williamsport, Pittsburgh, Ithaca, Elmira, Corning, Montpelier, Roanoke, Nashville, Birmingham... the list goes on. :/
I saw a couple of other posts by you in this thread. I noticed you kept skipping over cincinnati. Do you have something against it, anyway the cities you listed are no where near as big as cincinnati, pittsburgh and san Fran which are probably the hilliest cities in america.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:57 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,539,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
I saw a couple of other posts by you in this thread. I noticed you kept skipping over cincinnati. Do you have something against it, anyway the cities you listed are no where near as big as cincinnati, pittsburgh and san Fran which are probably the hilliest cities in america.
Well for one thing Cincy was already mentioned so it wasn't necessary. Second when I did actually forget about it I quite clearly went back and edited my post. Thirdly I don't care for your accusing tone nor your general assumptions about what cities contain more hills than others.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:31 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,736,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
Moore, OKlahoma is not the Midwest. It's the South. Oklahoma is a Southern state in its entirety. And Joplin is on the border of Midwestern and Southern.
Oklahoma is like West Virginia; it doesn't belong to one region of the country entirely. South of I-44 and east of U.S. 75, Oklahoma becomes more like the Mid-South. West of U.S. 81, it becomes gradually more like the West. The rest of the state is most like the Lower Midwest/Great Plains.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:39 PM

494 posts, read 804,418 times
Heck there is some decent hills in this area of Southern Michigan. Elevations range between 650 feet ( at lake shore ) up to around 1,100 feet ( not far from Jackson MI ) above sea level. This city has alot of hills but it is a small city. Ofcourse most of the city's are small and mid sized where alot of the hills are. Gets more hilly the further north you go in MI but ala the population decreases as well.

Just east of Columbus, OH ( far east burbs ) are pretty hilly as well. Basically along/east of I-71 ( Into PA/WV/KY ) is hilly.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:44 PM

494 posts, read 804,418 times
Traditionally the Midwest is considered MN, IA, MO, WI, IL, MI, IN, OH..

The plains are considered ND, SD, NE, KS, OK, TX..

Ohio Valley is for areas along and south of I70 east of St. Louis to Pittsburgh including KY.

Old 05-30-2013, 11:50 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
Rapid City is not Midwestern. While it is quite hilly and sunny, once you get out of the Black Hills it's not necessarily very green. It's also a fairly small metro and somewhat isolated.
Just because it's not green, it can't be the Midwest? That's like saying just because Oklahoma and Texas are treeless prairie, they cant' be Southern. Based on one characteristic you think it's not the Midwest. Just when you can't jump to conclusions any quicker

Old 05-30-2013, 11:52 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,094,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryBTL View Post
Traditionally the Midwest is considered MN, IA, MO, WI, IL, MI, IN, OH..

The plains are considered ND, SD, NE, KS, OK, TX..

Ohio Valley is for areas along and south of I70 east of St. Louis to Pittsburgh including KY.
The plains are not one continguous region. Oklahoma and TExas are very much culturally, demographically, and linguistically akin to the Southern states. Kansas, Nebraska, South Dakota, and North DAkota are very much culturally, demographically, and linguistically akin to the Midwestern states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.