Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 11:32 PM

908 posts, read 1,418,252 times

Advertisements

Does the coastline have to be an ocean coast? I think that there are a lot of places in Michigan on Lake Huron like Frankenmuth, Tawas City, and Alpena that would fit your description. Or pretty much anywhere on the Lake Erie coast between Toledo and Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 12:00 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,971,139 times
Check out Savannah! Small enough to be quiet but large enough to have enough amenities you'd need. If not, Atlanta is 4 hours away (same with Orlando) and Jacksonville (nearest large city over 1 mil) is a tad over 2 by car.

Direct flights to New York too if you ever get "homesick."

Savannah is also about 20 minutes from the Atlantic ocean. Tons to explore whether in the city or nearby.

Visit Savannah Georgia! The Official Travel & Tourism Guide to Savannah GA: Find Hotels, Bed & Breakfasts, Vacation Rentals, Golf, Events, Restaurants & Real Estate

Old 05-28-2013, 06:47 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
There are plenty of small towns within an 1.5 hours of NYC. I can think of Rhinebeck, Redhook, New Paltz, Woodstock, Bearsville, Hunter, Tannersville up the Hudson River. Long Island try Sayville, Northport, Port Jefferson, Stony Brook, Greenport. Just to name a few.

There are so many nice small towns/villages near most major cities. Im sure you can find something you are looking for.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:57 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Check out Savannah! Small enough to be quiet but large enough to have enough amenities you'd need. If not, Atlanta is 4 hours away (same with Orlando) and Jacksonville (nearest large city over 1 mil) is a tad over 2 by car.

Direct flights to New York too if you ever get "homesick."

Savannah is also about 20 minutes from the Atlantic ocean. Tons to explore whether in the city or nearby.

Visit Savannah Georgia! The Official Travel & Tourism Guide to Savannah GA: Find Hotels, Bed & Breakfasts, Vacation Rentals, Golf, Events, Restaurants & Real Estate
I agree. The other small towns/cities mentioned would probably be too much of a 180 degree change from NYC as a 22 year old. Savannah is sizable enough to offer a lot to do, has a good number of singles in that age bracket, plus friendly locals and transplants from similar situations.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:05 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,897,804 times
Try Annapolis, Maryland. I've gone there for several weekend trips and always really enjoyed it. It has a nice historic feel in the little downtown and there are some historic homes you can tour. There are some great seafood places and a few venues with live music. The US Naval Academy is there and that campus is nice to look around. Wouldn't be too long of a drive for you either. About 3.5 hours, I think.

If you are looking to get further away, Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA are both lovely.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:56 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
It's not a "getaway" town if it is full of tourists who came to get away from the same place you came from. The OP should be looking for a town that exists exclusively of and for itself, with nothing there that would be of much interest to outsiders wanting to get away.

A couple of days ago, a friend and I were discussing the fact that is very rare to see an out-of-state license plate in this town. You can go to shopping mall or supermarket parking lots and not see a single out of state plate, at any time of year. You might see one at a gas station out on the highway bypass, but nobody comes into town. A lot of snowbirds pass by, but none stop. Which, we agreed, at least makes this place unique, if not "something special".

Old 05-28-2013, 10:15 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
Try Annapolis, Maryland. I've gone there for several weekend trips and always really enjoyed it. It has a nice historic feel in the little downtown and there are some historic homes you can tour. There are some great seafood places and a few venues with live music. The US Naval Academy is there and that campus is nice to look around. Wouldn't be too long of a drive for you either. About 3.5 hours, I think.

If you are looking to get further away, Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA are both lovely.
Annapolis is one of my favorite cities. Savannah, GA and Charleston, SC are also very good choices.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:28 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Perhaps a place like this could work: CITY OF CONWAY, SC Home

Or: City of Plattsburgh
http://m.plattsburghrecreation.com/
North Country Chamber-Home

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-28-2013 at 10:53 AM..

Old 05-28-2013, 11:50 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,187,810 times
I'd recommend taking your money and investing in a Mindfulness & Acceptance Therapy course/class instead, that teaches you how to live in the moment and let go of trying to control life's uncontrolables.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:37 PM

25 posts, read 52,532 times
I know the OP is all over the board and not totally sure what she's looking for, but something that's really important to keep in mind when looking for a small town to move to is the job market in the area. I live in Florida, and I could name several small towns with lots of charm and sense of community - and absolutely no jobs, unless you're looking to bag groceries at Publix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.