Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2020, 10:31 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
That’s also just not true.

The traditional American Lunch is something like aHam and Cheese Sandwich some potato chips and a drink. That’s basically British.

The Traditional American Breakfast is Eggs, Bacon, toast and butter. That’s an English Breakfast (save the beans)

Christmas, Easter or Thanksgiving Dinners in America are pretty much exactly what a British roast dinner is (minus Cranberry Sauce)

Southern Fried Chicken is actually Scottish.

The base of American food is British food.
The American breakfast is similar to British Breakfast, but is not directly a British breakfast. Not only no beans, but also no tomatoes or mushrooms.

And honestly, many breakfasts from different countries around the world have some kind of base of eggs and meat (sausage), as well as tea/coffee on the side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2020, 09:10 PM

2,868 posts, read 2,817,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
American culture is basically an offshoot of British Culture.

American, Canadian, British, Australian culture is like Chocolate, Vanilla, Strawberry or Pastachio Ice Cream.

Sure they might look different but they are 99% the same thing.
Is American culture an offshoot of British culture or the other way around? Since the 1950s, American culture has been the pre-eminent Anglo culture. Things like Rock n Roll, Blues, Jazz influenced the Beatles, Queen, etc - not the other way around.

In fact, I can't think of a single "British cultural phenomenon" that has permeated the U.S. in the past 100 years.

There's a lot of the U.S. that comes from Britain historically - Government, legal systems, architecture, WASP culture. But mainstream American culture since at least the 1950s has been American-bred. The last major cultural "invasion" was Japan in the 1990s.

And young people could not care less about the U.K. lol. Other than Harry Potter fans (which peaked 20 years ago), where's the allure?

Mainstream youth culture today is social media (American dominated), rap/reggaeton (American/Latin American), multiculturalism/identity ideology (young people don't care about their British heritage, since 80%+ of American youth don't have it), video games (American dominated), memes (American dominated), travelogues, Netflix.

Where's the British influence on them? It's absolutely non-existent and it's insane to assume otherwise. Women in their menopause age buying magazines to see pictures of Prince George wearing a sailor outfit is not cultural influence. And it's laughable to assume otherwise.

The last time I had a conversation about the U.K. wasn't about British culture, but Brexit, and how Brexit was a manifestation of the U.K.'s rapid relative decline and national yearning to revive their lost imperial glory.

Old 07-05-2020, 09:36 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manitopiaaa View Post
Is American culture an offshoot of British culture or the other way around? Since the 1950s, American culture has been the pre-eminent Anglo culture. Things like Rock n Roll, Blues, Jazz influenced the Beatles, Queen, etc - not the other way around.

In fact, I can't think of a single "British cultural phenomenon" that has permeated the U.S. in the past 100 years.

There's a lot of the U.S. that comes from Britain historically - Government, legal systems, architecture, WASP culture. But mainstream American culture since at least the 1950s has been American-bred. The last major cultural "invasion" was Japan in the 1990s.

And young people could not care less about the U.K. lol. Other than Harry Potter fans (which peaked 20 years ago), where's the allure?

Mainstream youth culture today is social media (American dominated), rap/reggaeton (American/Latin American), multiculturalism/identity ideology (young people don't care about their British heritage, since 80%+ of American youth don't have it), video games (American dominated), memes (American dominated), travelogues, Netflix.

Where's the British influence on them? It's absolutely non-existent and it's insane to assume otherwise. Women in their menopause age buying magazines to see pictures of Prince George wearing a sailor outfit is not cultural influence. And it's laughable to assume otherwise.

The last time I had a conversation about the U.K. wasn't about British culture, but Brexit, and how Brexit was a manifestation of the U.K.'s rapid relative decline and national yearning to revive their lost imperial glory.
How many times is Polish or Greek Elections on the News? British GE are always the top stories on American News for the day if/day after.

In High School children take British Literature Class. In fact much of our literature comes from Britain. The Lion King was based on Hamlet. The highest grossing movie for 20 years was literally about a British Ship with a plot based on Romeo and Juliet. “Shakespeare in the Park” is common across the country. Harry Potter, LOTR, the Office, American Idol/America got Talent, all British Media originally. Doctor Who, Top Gear,The IT Crowd, Downton Abby, all have big followings in the states. Also British folk music is the base of Country Music. Of the last 30 best picture winners 10 were British. Our nightlife and social culture most resembles the UK of anywhere else. Not to mention Posh British accents are coded into our movies to generally mean fancy pants bad guy. Cockney Accents mean poor people. That sort of cultural knowledge is just not present in how Americans view any other country.

from 1995-2010 Harry Potter, LOTR, Lion Witch and the Wardrobe, British fantasy was basically the trend setters of Cinema. That basically ended with Game of Thrones (Technically American but a Throughly British Story.) because we ape ak their language we share basically everything.

British Authors defined the dystopia genre with 1984 and A Brave New World, British Authors defined Sci-fi too.

I graduated high school relatively recently (compared to most people on this board I assume) and I legitimately think from 5th to 12th grade we read more English than American Works.

Baseball, Football, Hockey all have British Origins.

Again our cuisine is British with an international flair to it. They certainly influence each other (like West End/Broadway musicals are basicsally one community)but there is no perceived “invasion” because the base of American culture is British. To the point where I think there would be a serious debate over whether England pre colonization was closer to modern American or Modern British Culture.

Last edited by btownboss4; 07-05-2020 at 10:29 PM..

Old 07-06-2020, 11:23 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
Quote:

I mostly agree except I disagree about no British stuff being popular among young people. There are quite a few British shows on Netflix, for instance. And Peppa Pig is popular among the tikes.

And we do listen to a lot of British music, however it is basically Brits doing American music.

Though, I don't think reggaeton is THAT big in the US, the only time I hear non-Latinos listening to reggaeton is if it's one of those crossover smash hits like Mi Gente.
The dominant music of the youth would be hip hop, followed by pop (which is often hip hop tinged).

Old 07-06-2020, 11:29 AM

There are also quite a few British actors in American shows, for what it's worth (I don't think that proves or disproves influence, but I find it interesting). I was shocked to find out that the lead actor in Animal Kingdom is British.

Old 07-06-2020, 02:17 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
There are also quite a few British actors in American shows, for what it's worth (I don't think that proves or disproves influence, but I find it interesting). I was shocked to find out that the lead actor in Animal Kingdom is British.
I don’t think Barkin is British though. However even acknowledging that American culture has taken the driver’s seat in the two-way ‘special’ relationship, and there are other voices pulling us in multiple directions, the British culture remains the biggest draw of the international cultures. It’s Downton Abbey we are binging and it’s Will & Kate’s wedding that 60 million saw. It’s the English Premier League that gets eyeballs. The Queen has been among Gallup’s most admired over 50 times. The UK remains the largest international destination not including our two neighbors. Even in a global world, the British remain our largest cultural partner in both directions.

Old 07-06-2020, 02:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
I don’t think Barkin is British though. However even acknowledging that American culture has taken the driver’s seat in the two-way ‘special’ relationship, and there are other voices pulling us in multiple directions, the British culture remains the biggest draw of the international cultures. It’s Downton Abbey we are binging and it’s Will & Kate’s wedding that 60 million saw. It’s the English Premier League that gets eyeballs. The Queen has been among Gallup’s most admired over 50 times. The UK remains the largest international destination not including our two neighbors. Even in a global world, the British remain our largest cultural partner in both directions.
Finn Cole is a Brit, and Craig is played by a Brit too.

Old 07-06-2020, 02:24 PM

405 posts, read 196,536 times
I think Santa Monica has one the bigger British areas but can't think of others. I'm sure NYC has a lot.

Old 07-06-2020, 02:46 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Finn Cole is a Brit, and Craig is played by a Brit too.
Oh, haha, I missed the actor bit. [Keep Calm and] carry on.

Old 07-06-2020, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Oh, haha, I missed the actor bit. [Keep Calm and] carry on.
For some reason though, Finn Cole is billed 5th or 6th in the credits despite obviously being the main character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.