Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2020, 07:00 PM

712 posts, read 542,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Very true... It's mainly the Northeast that has British influence, and even within the Northeast, that is primarily New England and Philadelphia. Outside of that, America is not nearly as British influenced as many here trying to make it out to be. I notice a lot of the people who are on the side of "America is heavily influenced by the British" tend to reside in New England. Makes sense, but the majority of the U.S. does not look like New England.

It's mostly apparent this divide when looking at state names. Most Northeast state names are British in origin (New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Rhode Island). Yet nearly every single state outside of the Northeast and east coast (and excluding Washington state), has a name relating to Native American words/language (Tennessee, Wisconsin, Texas, Arizona, Minnesota, Utah, Nebraska etc. )

This is very true. I am fully aware of the fact that USA is multi-racial multi-cultural place compared to UK or Even Canada.

When I visited Victoria in Canada years ago, I was quite confused looking at the map of border. I thought I came from a place where English culture is every where. But it seems in Victoria toward US border, USA has tons of Hispanic names that I am not familiar and Victoria has tons of names that is similar to New England, or Connecticut in particular. You get confused from New England in Victoria where is foreign country, where is the country you are from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2020, 06:19 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:
Very true... It's mainly the Northeast that has British influence, and even within the Northeast, that is primarily New England and Philadelphia. Outside of that, America is not nearly as British influenced as many here trying to make it out to be. I notice a lot of the people who are on the side of "America is heavily influenced by the British" tend to reside in New England. Makes sense, but the majority of the U.S. does not look like New England.

It's mostly apparent this divide when looking at state names. Most Northeast state names are British in origin (New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Maryland, Rhode Island). Yet nearly every single state outside of the Northeast and east coast (and excluding Washington state), has a name relating to Native American words/language (Tennessee, Wisconsin, Texas, Arizona, Minnesota, Utah, Nebraska etc. )
There is major British influence in the South. Once again, in place names, as but one example.

In Tennessee, there is: Davidson County, Williamson County, Rutherford County, Chatham County, Dickson County, Knox County, Hamilton County, Pickett County, McNairy County, Anderson County, Shelby County, Haywood County, Bedford County, Hawkins County, Hickman County, Lauderdale County, Montgomery County, Marshall County, Bradley County, Sullivan County, Madison County, Sumner County, Jefferson County, Stewart County, Putnam County, Robertson County, Monroe County, Maury County, Chester County, Grundy County, Benton County, Campbell County, Carter County, Claiborne County, Crockett County, Cumberland County, Dyer County, Robertson County, Tipton County, etc.

Maybe you thought these were "American names"? They're not. Every single one of these names is English, Scottish, or Irish. In fact, the overwhelming majority of the 95 counties in Tennessee have English/Scottish/Irish names. And then there are the names of towns and cities, including Nashville and Knoxville.

If we were to look at county, city, and town names throughout the South, I'm betting most would be of British/Irish, Dutch, French, and Native American origin.

Like I said earlier, the influence of these founding cultures is so ubiquitous, it's invisible, and many Americans simply consider it "American."

Old 07-09-2020, 01:17 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
There is major British influence in the South. Once again, in place names, as but one example.

In Tennessee, there is: Davidson County, Williamson County, Rutherford County, Chatham County, Dickson County, Knox County, Hamilton County, Pickett County, McNairy County, Anderson County, Shelby County, Haywood County, Bedford County, Hawkins County, Hickman County, Lauderdale County, Montgomery County, Marshall County, Bradley County, Sullivan County, Madison County, Sumner County, Jefferson County, Stewart County, Putnam County, Robertson County, Monroe County, Maury County, Chester County, Grundy County, Benton County, Campbell County, Carter County, Claiborne County, Crockett County, Cumberland County, Dyer County, Robertson County, Tipton County, etc.

Maybe you thought these were "American names"? They're not. Every single one of these names is English, Scottish, or Irish. In fact, the overwhelming majority of the 95 counties in Tennessee have English/Scottish/Irish names. And then there are the names of towns and cities, including Nashville and Knoxville.

If we were to look at county, city, and town names throughout the South, I'm betting most would be of British/Irish, Dutch, French, and Native American origin.

Like I said earlier, the influence of these founding cultures is so ubiquitous, it's invisible, and many Americans simply consider it "American."
Yes, I'm aware those names have British origin, but those places are almost all named after the people who settled/founded them. They weren't exactly named in honor of Britain or anything like that. So how much is that really even "British influenced"? Contrast that with New England, where names of some cities are legitimately named after British cities.

And also, I'm pretty sure a great deal of southerners would classify themselves as being merely "American" in ancestry. There's a Wikipedia article on this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_ancestry
The article explicitly says this is commonly reported by whites from the deep south. Which makes sense. When's the last time you saw a white, native southerner flying a Union Jack flag on their truck or flagpole, and flaunting their British ancestry? I have family in the south, and odds are they're flying an American or Confederate flag, or "Don't Tread On Me". The south is one of the, if not the region in the country that appreciates being American, and American only the most. In other words, proudest of being American.

Last edited by CCrest182; 07-09-2020 at 01:44 PM..

Old 07-09-2020, 02:02 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
If a place ‘twas named for founders/settlers who were British, methinks historically those cities were heavily “British-influenced”. And while it’s true many may call themselves American, the larger point is that what is the American identity is heavily British-influenced even if the centuries have made the link seem invisible.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:21 PM

6,222 posts, read 3,597,419 times
I fail to see how present day American culture is particularly British. In terms of pop culture, we are much kore influential on them than the reverse. Same thing with social media and tech giants like Apple and Microsoft.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:28 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,404,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
If a place ‘twas named for founders/settlers who were British, methinks historically those cities were heavily “British-influenced”. And while it’s true many may call themselves American, the larger point is that what is the American identity is heavily British-influenced even if the centuries have made the link seem invisible.
In the 1700's, I agree, America was heavily British influenced. Now it is a way, way different country, with its own distinct culture and history. That "British dominance" has been so watered down, it is no longer "heavy". The Hot Dog, a very "American" food, was brought here by German immigrants. Pizza was introduced by Italian immigrants. And yes, we have some foods brought here from the British, but that is just a small piece of American cuisine now. It is not as if British cuisine represents even a large portion of the current American cuisine. In fact, type "American food" into Google Images, and tell me what you see. Hint: Almost everything won't be British in origin.

We are well beyond the days where America is only the old eastern states. America is the Midwest, Southwest, Mountain West, and South.... all of these regions have evolved much differently from the original "British" parts of the country, and all these regions and their own history and culture combined has evolved the entire country. And that end result, by in large, is not heavily influenced by the British, outside of language mainly and a few other things.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:36 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Yes, I'm aware those names have British origin, but those places are almost all named after the people who settled/founded them. They weren't exactly named in honor of Britain or anything like that. So how much is that really even "British influenced"? Contrast that with New England, where names of some cities are legitimately named after British cities.

And also, I'm pretty sure a great deal of southerners would classify themselves as being merely "American" in ancestry. There's a Wikipedia article on this:
The article explicitly says this is commonly reported by whites from the deep south. Which makes sense. When's the last time you saw a white, native southerner flying a Union Jack flag on their truck or flagpole, and flaunting their British ancestry? I have family in the south, and odds are they're flying an American or Confederate flag, or "Don't Tread On Me". The south is one of the, if not the region in the country that appreciates being American, and American only the most. In other words, proudest of being American.
Look at the American Flag compared it to Australia, New Zealand, France and Serbia

Which does it look like? The Colonial Domains right?

And they picked the St Andrews Cross as the basis for the Confederate Battle Flag which happens to be the Scottish Flag.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:43 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,839,694 times
Quote:

I'm not talking about self-identity. How strongly connected a person feels to a particular country is an individual thing. Very subjective. And more complex than some think.

I'm talking only about the fact that many British names are commonly believed to be American. A couple of years ago, a poster argued vehemently with me, insisting that names like those I listed in my previous post are 100% American.

Old 07-09-2020, 02:52 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
In the 1700's, I agree, America was heavily British influenced. Now it is a way, way different country, with its own distinct culture and history. That "British dominance" has been so watered down, it is no longer "heavy". The Hot Dog, a very "American" food, was brought here by German immigrants. Pizza was introduced by Italian immigrants. And yes, we have some foods brought here from the British, but that is just a small piece of American cuisine now. It is not as if British cuisine represents even a large portion of the current American cuisine. In fact, type "American food" into Google Images, and tell me what you see. Hint: Almost everything won't be British in origin.

We are well beyond the days where America is only the old eastern states. America is the Midwest, Southwest, Mountain West, and South.... all of these regions have evolved much differently from the original "British" parts of the country, and all these regions and their own history and culture combined has evolved the entire country. And that end result, by in large, is not heavily influenced by the British, outside of language mainly and a few other things.
That’s just incorrect. Anything that isn’t considered ethnic is British.

You know having toast and jam or Butter for Breakfast is a British thing?

How about Roast Dinners? Ham/Turkey Sandwiches? American “homestyle” Chicken Soup, Fried Chicken

Even something like an Italian Sub is a fusion cuisine because Sandwiches were not tradition to Italy.

There are obvious “British Cuisine” like Fish and Chips, Cottage (Shepard’s) Pie, but that’s not the majority of influence.

Old 07-09-2020, 03:57 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,847,570 times
Southern food, which might have the strongest/best claim to “American” cuisine, is heavily derived from Anglo-Scottish roots mixed with African, French, and Native American influences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.