Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 10:00 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
Agreed. Recently I've heard people refer to San Antonio as a southern city, including a native, and I'm like "huh?" The only major cities in Texas I consider to be southern are Dallas and Houston. Austin and San Antonio have always seemed much more Southwestern (or western) to me.
I think Texas Reb might step in here and say that they're the far west of the South. It was definitely a part of the South antebellum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 10:12 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I think Texas Reb might step in here and say that they're the far west of the South. It was definitely a part of the South antebellum.
San Antonio is probably the westernmost city I would consider truly Southern (because of its antebellum history).

Austin is weird in its own way. It doesn't really fit with either the South or the Southwest. I've always thought it had more of a west coast vibe but people from the west coast will staunchly disagree.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:15 PM

It's a major college town and college towns are weird, so it has this quirkiness to it. What are the suburbs like, though?

Old 05-31-2013, 12:06 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,132,373 times
I maintain that it's Divisadero St.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:31 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
The 100th Meridan is a pretty good start, or perhaps where the Corn Belt ends and the Wheat Belt begins ( although this is certainly not a straight line)..

Old 05-31-2013, 11:35 AM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
Quote:
Would it be consistently at the 100th up to the Canadian border, or would it fluctuate east or west up there?
Haven't been to that part of Canada so I probably wouldn't be the best person to give you that answer. I'd assume it keeps going up from where it left off in the U.S. though..

Old 05-31-2013, 11:49 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,092,431 times
I'd argue the 100th meridian like many have said is where the West starts.

Old 05-31-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Haven't been to that part of Canada so I probably wouldn't be the best person to give you that answer. I'd assume it keeps going up from where it left off in the U.S. though..
I actually just meant in the U.S. I was wondering if the South ends at the same meridian that the Midwest ends. However, Canada does have an East/West divide like the U.S., and you're right it does seem to be roughly at the same point.

Btw, there is something I've sort of been wondering this thread that's a bit off topic. Where is the northern line for the "Southwest," and is Los Angeles a part of the Southwest? Also, is Eastern Oregon a part of the "Pacific Northwest" or is the line the Cascade Mountains?

Old 05-31-2013, 01:48 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Quote:
Btw, there is something I've sort of been wondering this thread that's a bit off topic. Where is the northern line for the "Southwest," and is Los Angeles a part of the Southwest? Also, is Eastern Oregon a part of the "Pacific Northwest" or is the line the Cascade Mountains?
Eastern Oregon is closer in feel to the inter-mountain west(same with Eastern Washington). A place like the area around the Blue Mountains or Wallowa Mountains feels like Idaho or Montana in some ways. The really barren and dry areas in the SE part of Oregon feel like the Northern Nevada desert just to the south. The Painted Hills in Oregon look like Utah. Really a lot of Eastern Oregon would be grouped in with whatever Boise is defined as--when you get to a certain point like east of Pendleton, you're closer to Boise than Portland so that's the closest metro of any size.

A lot of people like to make the distinction between the wet-side Pacific Northwest and the dryside east of the Cascade. There's a joke in Oregon and Washington about how you go east to get to "The West". In the region itself though Eastern Oregon is still tied politically to Salem. It's not the Pacific Northwest of popular imaginiation once you get east of the Cascades, however people often refer to everything east to Montana as the Northwest.

As far as the northern or western border for the Southwest--that's fairly debatable. Las Vegas feels like the Southwest, though I wouldn't consider Reno or Salt Lake City to really feel that Southwestern. Nor is Los Angeles. The core of the Southwest is really Arizona and New Mexico plus El Paso--then you sort of work the border out from there.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:46 PM

539 posts, read 1,923,392 times
Quote:

Were there slaves / plantations in that part of Texas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.