Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 10:41 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,440,587 times

Advertisements

how about

Basically follows the Missouri through the Dakotas, then veers west to Kearney, and stays west of the major cities until San Antionio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 11:04 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Co-incidentally, that also seems to be where Dixie and the Midwest die out culturally.
It's not coincidental at all, actually. Settlement effectively stopped where the moisture level dropped off and what used to be called "The Great American desert" began. It wasn't until industrialization brought better agricultural irrigation. It also coincided with a few years of pretty good rainfall and heavy advertisements. But none of this really happened until the Midwest and the South had settled culturally. The Midwest spread as far as agricultural production could sustain it and the Deep South spread as far as cotton could grow. That ends up being about the 100th.

Two other maps to consider:
The first is this precipitation map. Either the yellow or the gold zone would make a decent marker of the start of the West.

This is an elevation map. The light green is where the elevation starts climbing again going east to west.

Keep in mind that there has been cultural-spillover. So, the borders have likely changed slightly more than geography.

The linguistic map goes a bit further west. It's not perfect either, but you could combine the two.

Old 05-30-2013, 12:45 PM

539 posts, read 1,923,392 times
Excellent maps, guys!

Old 05-30-2013, 06:24 PM

2,277 posts, read 2,651,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Where does the Midwest and South change into the West?
Starts from where you are standing.

Old 05-30-2013, 07:08 PM

4,582 posts, read 8,968,017 times
IMO, its at the 100th meridian. I wouldn't include San Antonio, but just to the west. Definitely at Fort Stockton and Midland-Odessa. Also, once you get west of Oklahoma City, maybe around El Reno or further west to Elk City it starts feeling more western.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:45 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,052,100 times
Quote:
I would say the 100th meridian is probably the best definition of where the West begins. There are elements of Western culture east of the 100th meridian especially in Texas and Oklahoma, but those areas are also heavily Southern (Dixie) as well. The pure west starts at the 100th meridian.
Sounds about right to me. Pretty much anything west of the Hill Country is definitely the West. Although some would argue that the west starts closer to the I-35 corridor.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:46 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,244,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
IMO, its at the 100th meridian. I wouldn't include San Antonio, but just to the west. Definitely at Fort Stockton and Midland-Odessa. Also, once you get west of Oklahoma City, maybe around El Reno or further west to Elk City it starts feeling more western.
San Antonio is the one major Texas city I haven't been to (and it often gets overshadowed by Austin's media hype) but I've always considered it more of a Western city. However, recently I've heard several people say it is more of a Southern city than it is a Western one.

Old 05-30-2013, 08:58 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,605,540 times
west of the 5

Old 05-30-2013, 09:35 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,853,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingImport View Post
Would it be consistently at the 100th up to the Canadian border, or would it fluctuate east or west up there?

Old 05-30-2013, 09:56 PM

539 posts, read 1,923,392 times
Quote:
San Antonio is the one major Texas city I haven't been to (and it often gets overshadowed by Austin's media hype) but I've always considered it more of a Western city. However, recently I've heard several people say it is more of a Southern city than it is a Western one.

Agreed. Recently I've heard people refer to San Antonio as a southern city, including a native, and I'm like "huh?" The only major cities in Texas I consider to be southern are Dallas and Houston. Austin and San Antonio have always seemed much more Southwestern (or western) to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.