Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 01:07 AM

11 posts, read 35,154 times

Advertisements

im from toronto.. it is very culturally diverse.. winters are cold.. the summers are hot.. and the city life is really nice. im studying to be an interior designer.. and i would love to relocate to any city that is culturally diverse .
i need help to know any info about a big city that is arts oriented .. as well as a big city with a good future in my chosen career.
i would like a city with a:
mild winter season
a good night life
shopping malls
crime rates do not bother me too much
affordable housing/rent
good public transit

i have new york and los angeles as choices but it must be very expensive to maintain a good life..
need some help..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 01:18 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,207,314 times
I think we all want that, but it's expensive so... stay in Toronto. That's expensive too, is it not? Buy a sweater, drink hot coffee.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:30 AM

322 posts, read 299,978 times
A lot of art oriented, culturally diverse towns are not cheap, such as San Fran, N.Y., Boston, L.A., Seattle, Chicago, etc. Some great towns for artist that are cheap could be Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Cleveland. The older cheap rustbelt cities do have a great art culture, but not as much diversity. You really just have to see what you like the most. Toronto seems like a great city to stay. I understand on trying to get out for a while, but Toronto is everything you described.

You will find interior design jobs anywhere. Every architecture firm has interior people.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:36 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
DC...? Weird because the farther southwest you go, the more sprwaling the cities are. Maybe San Fancisco, actually... That fits you prefectly... Other than the housing costs.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:57 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
mild winter season: Baltimore, DC, Philadelphia
a good night life: Baltimore, DC, Philadelphia
shopping malls: DC, Philadelphia
crime rates do not bother me too much: anywhere in the US
affordable housing/rent: Baltimore
good public transit: DC, Philadelphia
--Actually for your field, I would look into Baltimore because of the cost of living and the fact that it is close to the others mentioned. Lots of folks do just that and make a good living with clients in both DC and Baltimore.
I ruled out midwestern cities because I think their winters may be a bit rougher. Your other choices would be out west in Seattle or Denver but I am not to familiar with them.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:01 AM

322 posts, read 299,978 times
Denver may be a good choice. I lived there for three years. It has mild winters actually. Yes it snows a lot, but after it snows it gets back to the 50s and is sunny again. Only a few weeks of the year are actually cold. Public Transportation may be lacking though.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
mild winter season: Baltimore, DC, Philadelphia
a good night life: Baltimore, DC, Philadelphia
shopping malls: DC, Philadelphia
crime rates do not bother me too much: anywhere in the US
affordable housing/rent: Baltimore
good public transit: DC, Philadelphia
--Actually for your field, I would look into Baltimore because of the cost of living and the fact that it is close to the others mentioned. Lots of folks do just that and make a good living with clients in both DC and Baltimore.
I ruled out midwestern cities because I think their winters may be a bit rougher. Your other choices would be out west in Seattle or Denver but I am not to familiar with them.
Midwest is rougher than Philly, DC, and Baltimore? Dude, you can’t be serious. Philly is the murder capital, Baltimore is dangerous as hell, and DC is a big version of Baltimore. That has to be the most dangerous tri-city area in the world.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:25 AM

638 posts, read 974,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
Midwest is rougher than Philly, DC, and Baltimore? Dude, you can’t be serious. Philly is the murder capital, Baltimore is dangerous as hell, and DC is a big version of Baltimore. That has to be the most dangerous tri-city area in the world.
He said their winters are rougher, not their crime.

Old 11-04-2007, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
He said their winters are rougher, not their crime.
Oh, whoops. Sorry about that, didn’t read it right.

Old 11-04-2007, 10:55 AM

4,383 posts, read 16,762,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureCop View Post
DC is smaller than Baltimore. Baltimore is only dangers in certain areas that a typical, drug free person would never go. you wouldn't know anything about the area so keep your mouth shut if you don't have straight facts, not to be rude or anything. Anyway, i think minneapolis would fit your criteria perfectly, i love it up there, although the winters are worse than Toronto's!

Last edited by Billiam; 11-04-2007 at 11:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.