Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 10:05 AM

4,466 posts, read 1,583,809 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, what are the best cities for kids east of the Mississippi River? We are looking for cities that are family friendly and have good proximity. By that I mean a city that is close to all different kind of shopping, museums, history, and outdoor activities. We are looking at cities that are no smaller than around 30,000 people. Cost of living is not important. We would like a city that has a community feel with good schools. We would also love four seasons. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2013, 10:22 AM

188 posts, read 374,280 times
If cost of living really really REALLY isn't important, then you can't beat places like New York City and send your kids to the best private schools in the country with all the culture and environment that is available in the cities. If you can't afford to blow a few million on a condo large enough to raise a family and private schools, Washington DC is great because of the free museums and great public schools. Boston is great and slightly cheaper as well. If you're willing to go a little cheaper, Richmond (where I grew up) is a surprisingly awesome place to be a kid and St. Louis (not strictly east of the Miss, but close enough), has a lot of fun and free things for children as well.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:28 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,535,764 times
If COL isn't a factor (don't see how that's the case, but ok) there are so many beautiful family-oriented towns/suburbs in the suburbs of NYC in Westchester County, Northern NJ, Connecticut, and Long Island and also suburbs of Boston. I also tend to think of the NYC metro area as the climactic "sweet spot" on the east coast where you get "even" seasons. A bit south of there and Summer is a little more extreme, a bit north and winter is a little more extreme...but they are kind of "just right" (again, IMO') in that area of the country.

Old 06-02-2013, 03:37 PM

92,037 posts, read 122,173,887 times
Saratoga Springs NY, while having a little under 30,000, fits every other aspect mentioned.

Old 06-02-2013, 04:19 PM

1,371 posts, read 3,036,771 times
From what it seems, Portland and Seattle are both great places for kids to grow up. Lots of outdoor activities, clean air (for a large city), plenty of culture, and good schools.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
From what it seems, Portland and Seattle are both great places for kids to grow up. Lots of outdoor activities, clean air (for a large city), plenty of culture, and good schools.
Well, we are looking more for the east because all of our family is situated in the east. Not sure we could deal with Portland and Seattle weather either.
As far as NYC, that's a little too big for us, but if there were some areas outside it that would fit we would consider them. The areas we are most interested in at this moment are Philadelphia, NOVA, and the western part of Connecticut. We would like any other options however, and would like to know about any areas that may fit.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:45 PM

14,360 posts, read 16,866,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Well, we are looking more for the east because all of our family is situated in the east. Not sure we could deal with Portland and Seattle weather either.
As far as NYC, that's a little too big for us, but if there were some areas outside it that would fit we would consider them. The areas we are most interested in at this moment are Philadelphia, NOVA, and the western part of Connecticut. We would like any other options however, and would like to know about any areas that may fit.
Wait, are you looking for a city, or suburbs near a city?

NOVA doesn't really have cities (unless you count Alexandria), Western Connecticut has some, but they're not known for good public schools (although I wouldn't have an issue with sending my kid to school in Stamford myself), and Philly is known for having pretty terrible public schools.

Old 06-02-2013, 08:01 PM

2,423 posts, read 4,295,004 times
I believe Madison, Wisconsin is good option. Very safe, plenty to do outdoors, excellent school system, very educated population. While not sure how the shopping is in Madison, you always have Chicago nearby and even Milwaukee.

I also think certain neighborhoods in Chicago, like Lincoln Square and Roscoe Village were made for families. If you come by Chicago check out those two neighborhoods and you might find that it's exactly what you are looking for.

Old 06-02-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Wait, are you looking for a city, or suburbs near a city?

NOVA doesn't really have cities (unless you count Alexandria), Western Connecticut has some, but they're not known for good public schools (although I wouldn't have an issue with sending my kid to school in Stamford myself), and Philly is known for having pretty terrible public schools.
I guess I should clarify. We are looking for a city/town, those are simply the areas we are looking at right now, not necessarily Philly, but the surrounding areas, whether that is a suburb or a city farther out. Proximity it's what is important when it comes to all the things I listed in the original post. We would prefer a smaller city near a larger one.

Old 06-02-2013, 10:06 PM

92,037 posts, read 122,173,887 times
West Chester outside of Philadelphia may work, but I'm not sure if it has at least 30,000 people though.

If you didn't mind the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area, I would say to really consider Saratoga Springs given that it sounds exactly like what you are looking for. It is a city of about 27,000 with very good schools. It is close to the Adirondack Mountains, lakes, an amusement park, is walkable with good nightlife for its size and the county it is in(Saratoga) was the fastest growing in the state from 2000-2010. It has shopping in the area as well. It is known for its horse racing season in the summer and spas, which brings more people and money into the area. It is about a few hours or so from NYC, Boston and Montreal. Here's some more information on the city: City of Saratoga Springs

Visit Saratoga! Racing, Tourism & Travel Guide to Saratoga Springs NY: Find Hotels, Events, Restaurants & Real Estate

Saratoga Springs New York: Meeting, Conference & Event Facilites From Saratoga Convention & Tourism Bureau

Saratoga Springs - NY - Dining - Shopping - Entertainment - Lodging - Professional Services

Saratoga Springs City School District

Business First - 2012 Upstate school district rankings

Business First - 2012 Albany Area school district rankings

Saratoga Springs, New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Google Maps Street View
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.