Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 09:19 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Great post. Most CA wine is plonk, and the wine that isn't is usually extremely over priced for the quality. Also, you have like drinking fruit juice with high alcohol many times.
There's tons of great wine in California however. You just need to know what you like and where to look. The whole state isn't all ultra ripe and fruity merlots and cabs or cheap Central Valley two buck chuck. There's a lot of wine growers who since the 90s have started growing good Sangioveses or Pinots or Syrahs or other different Rhone varietals. Try something from the Anderson Valley or Santa Cruz Mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 10:30 AM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
There's tons of great wine in California however. You just need to know what you like and where to look. The whole state isn't all ultra ripe and fruity merlots and cabs or cheap Central Valley two buck chuck. There's a lot of wine growers who since the 90s have started growing good Sangioveses or Pinots or Syrahs or other different Rhone varietals. Try something from the Anderson Valley or Santa Cruz Mountains.
Maybe, I am better off sticking to the tried and true wines of Europe though. I'll help keep demand in check for these wines.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:06 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Maybe, I am better off sticking to the tried and true wines of Europe though. I'll help keep demand in check for these wines.
Fair enough. Although if you don't prefer any wines from the US, why are you even commenting on this thread?

Quote:
I really should add

Portugal
Greece
Germany
Austria
At the same time, what can you recommend for Greek wines? Every Greek wine I've ever had in my life has been an unpalatable glass of swill. Not even talking about Retsina, but most Greek wines taste like a glass of vinegar mixed with pinesol. What's a good one to try?

Old 06-04-2013, 02:10 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I'm interested in what non West Coast wines in the US are like. I've had ice wines from upstate New York, but I think that's about all I've had.
ha, try some southern muscadine wine. (Vitis rotundifolia) they make it in North and South Carolina, and probably other states as well. It's a true "American wine", with a grape variety that is indigenous to the US. When explorers first mapped out North Carolina, they noted the huge abundance of wild grapevines (which are everywhere, here.), writing that its grape production would rival france.

unfortunately... it's not very good compared to european varieties; it is very strong and sugary. it almost tastes like alcoholic koolaid.

Virginia, which can grow european varieties, has some pretty decent wine, though.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:24 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,680,532 times
Quote:
Fair enough. Although if you don't prefer any wines from the US, why are you even commenting on this thread?

At the same time, what can you recommend for Greek wines? Every Greek wine I've ever had in my life has been an unpalatable glass of swill. Not even talking about Retsina, but most Greek wines taste like a glass of vinegar mixed with pinesol. What's a good one to try?
Try Naossa or Skalani from Boutari or Mega Oenos or Grande Cuvee Nemea from Skouras. Two good indigenous greek red grapes are Xinomavro and Agiorghitiko.

Sigalas whites from Santorini are some of my favorite white wines in the world. Assyrtiko is the best white grape on Santorini.

You may not like these though. They are filled with mouth watering acid, which is something I love.

Muscat from Samos are great dessert wines.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:26 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,561,445 times
Quote:
I doubt anyone in reality has that opinion. I think it'd be a fascinating argument, though I've never had a wine from Oklahoma...

Most winos are full of it, but here you are arguing about wine.
Actually, I’ve not argued for the respective quality of any regional wine, subjective or otherwise. I have questioned the sincerity and foundation of those professing such strong preferences for wines from states that produce far less from fewer producers, from fewer regions and in fewer styles.

If somebody who knew absolutely nothing about wine production in the US were to read the categorical nature of many of the comments expressed above, they would assume wines from CA are uniform and in poor demand, which, incidentally, are both objective criteria.

This molehill now being a mountain, salud.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:35 AM

591 posts, read 820,599 times
California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.