Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 09:27 PM

2,330 posts, read 4,399,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It is culturally northeastern. It's full of Yankee culture. South Florida is way too rich, educated and liberal to be the South.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Nonsense.
Its no more of nonsense then them clowns claiming Maryland being Mid-Atlantic Northeast...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 09:30 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,559,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Dude before the 60s, Miami demographically was in line with the rest of the South. They did not have the same diverse white population as the Northeast did. New Yorkers treated their place as a vacation home. It doesn't mean you're Northeasteners. But Miami was still shaped by Southerners. Isn't there a confederate cemetery in Dade Co? Somebody forgot to alert my family and friends that they now live in what is more of a northeastern city than a southern city. Also, Bajan, it is clear that you know very little about the south if you think all Southerners are conservative and uneducated.
Where would this Cemetery be? Considering "Miami" didn't even exist during the Civil War.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
It is culturally northeastern. It's full of Yankee culture. South Florida is way too rich, educated and liberal to be the South.
Quote:
Nonsense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
That is the biggest load of BS I have ever heard.

Not only are you wrong about Florida, you are evidently quite ignorant of the entire south.
The biggest load of BS is you claiming Maryland to be a Northern State based off of Pure Discriminative Hatred towards the state...

Old 12-31-2013, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
Most South Floridians are not that rich, educated, or liberal. You know what the public education system is like in Florida? Miami-Dade public schools are a joke....give me a break. "liberal"? Tell that to the hundreds of thousands of Cuban-Americans that elected the far right wing Marco Rubio to office.....give me a break lol....Florida is more than South Beach bro.
Maryland is more than just Washington, DC and Baltimore......

Old 12-31-2013, 09:39 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,505 times
Quote:
Barely. Houston is Gulf Coast Southern first and foremost, and all "Texanisms" come second, in my opinion. I'm sure you'll disagree, but I'm done debating with people who aren't even from here about the culture of my own hometown.
Yep, in your opinion.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:40 PM

2,068 posts, read 2,921,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I feel like Tampa and Houston share a similar Gulf Coast undertone that triggers that association. A lot of the new construction also looks similar. Every other similarity is rather superficial. Houston is definitely Texan to the core.
This is true.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:23 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,180,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
Maryland is more than just Washington, DC and Baltimore......
I know it includes a lot of small Southern towns.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:28 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,180,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Where would this Cemetery be? Considering "Miami" didn't even exist during the Civil War.
Miami may not have existed, but Dade County definitely did.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:31 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
Apparently this post was lost in the shuffle. Click on the links below for a VERY PARTIAL list (and pictures) of Confederate memorials in Florida. Please note that the pictures are of ones that are well to the south of the state.

St Cloud, FL Confederate memorial:
http://www.civilwaralbum.com/misc20/2012b/1stcloud4.jpg

Hillsborough County Confederate memorial:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...y,_Florida.jpg
http://spofga.org/flag/2009/jan/images/sign.jpg

Tampa, FL:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-5dgd3cgD6x...ckimage005.jpg

Miami, FL Confederate memorial:
City Of Miami Cemetery | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Confederate Memorial Day, 2013 Archer, FL:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...88628722483486

Don't forget Confederate Park in Jacksonville, by the way. Or Olustee Battlefield State Park.

Confederate sites in Florida run from Jacksonville to Key West:

http://voices.yahoo.com/florida-civi...98.html?cat=37

Old 12-31-2013, 10:37 PM

20,513 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $mk8795 View Post
It makes zero sense to argue against the Fact that Maryland is a Southern State.
The poster said if you are at least two hours driving time from New Jersey, you are not in the South. Most of Virginia and all of North Carolina is not 2 hours from New Jersey. So exactly what was your point in regards to that original comment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.