Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 02:21 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,032,652 times

Advertisements

Even' Folks,

I have a question or two about the Pacific Northwest for those who are native to the area. First up, it seems like the Pacific Northwest is a foreign country -- you don't really hear about it a lot, but you know its really far away (to us Southerners anyways). What is is it like? And why are so many people leaving the area in such huge numbers? From what I have heard about the place, its just about perfect in every way, very environmentally friendly, everyone is really rich with excellent jobs, the cities are clean, spotless, and trouble free. I spoke with some people from Seattle (who were admittedly a little bit arrogant, but thats ok) who said it wasn't as cold as a lot of people (well..me anyways) would assume. What's the deal with the area?

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 02:26 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
And why are so many people leaving the area in such huge numbers?
I think you're wrong there. Nobody is leaving. People are moving in.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
I think you're wrong there. Nobody is leaving. People are moving in.
Well, I've been throughout Alabama and Georgia, and they are coming to these areas in huge numbers. Not sure why though -- I always heard that the NW was the perfect place to live.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:25 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,918,611 times
Why do a lot of people leave the region? Simple. A lot of people don't like the 9 months of dreary grey skies.

It doesn't get too terribly cold, but I know that the Seattle area has more overcast days than any other American metro.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:00 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radraja View Post
Why do a lot of people leave the region? Simple. A lot of people don't like the 9 months of dreary grey skies.

It doesn't get too terribly cold, but I know that the Seattle area has more overcast days than any other American metro.
I've heard that Pittsburg has a similar amount of overcast days, but i'm not sure. Anyways OP, i moved to Seattle from the south, I'm from Arkansas It is most of the things you described, INCREDIBLY clean for a metro its size, unmatched in natural beauty(the cascades, the olympics, mt rainier, puget sound, evergreen forest scenery, very green year round), an excellent skyline for its size, low crime for its size, lots to do, many unique neighborhoods, walkable downtown, great universities, etc. However, being from the south the weather has been hard for me to adjust to. For this reason, i'm moving to San Diego, still has beautiful scenery and MUCH sunnier and warmer. Seattle doesn't get terribly cold, it barely ever snows(snows a lot more back in Northwest Arkansas than it does here) but it is consitantly moderatly cold for a looong time lol. I'll just put it this way, if we had excellent weather here, who knows how huge this place would be. But about 3.5 million people in the Seattle area and many more in the rest of the Pacific Northwest put up with it, and many love it. Seattle is a wonderful city, and i'll definatly consider coming back sometime in the future, but as a southern boy i simply must have some sunlight! lol

Old 04-15-2008, 04:46 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,124,126 times
Seattle - 201 cloudy days, 93 partly cloudy, 71 sunny
Portland, OR - 223 cloudy, 74 partly cloudy, 68 sunny
Anchorage - 240 cloudy, 64 partly cloudy, 61 sunny
Pittsburgh - 204 cloudy, 103 partly cloudy, 58 sunny
Chicago - 176 cloudy, 105 partly cloudy, 84 sunny

Old 04-15-2008, 05:14 PM

1,989 posts, read 6,596,871 times
The PNW has more in common with the south than the northeast, at least in terms of population growth. The PNW is growing, with Seattle being the main magnet with an excellent local economy. Oregon and Idaho are also drawing people in with lower cost of living and booming economies. Speaking for the Seattle area, we have our problems just like every other big city does. I wouldn't say everyone is rich, or the that the cities are trouble free.

The weather seems to be the thing that people complain about the most, just ahead of the traffic and the expensive homes. . That being said, there are many qualities that many people find appealing including urban, walkable, dense cities (Portland/Seattle), great scenery, ridiculous access to outdoor activities, high paying jobs, and a liberal/non-religious culture.

Funnily enough, the south is like a foreign culture to us as well. It seems so....different. In regards to the weather, it's pretty mild year round, we do get a few days of snow typically in the winter, and it usually doesn't get hotter than 85 in the summer, with low humidity. Its nothing like the south in the summer or the upper midwest/northeast in the winter. One of the benefits of the soggy weather in the fall/winter is that it stays green year round.

Last edited by toughguy; 04-15-2008 at 05:26 PM..

Old 04-15-2008, 06:03 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,239,602 times
Quote:
Well, I've been throughout Alabama and Georgia, and they are coming to these areas in huge numbers. Not sure why though -- I always heard that the NW was the perfect place to live.
Some leave but many more are coming here to the pnw. Seattle's population is at its largest ever. The entire region is growing in leaps and bounds.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughguy View Post
The weather seems to be the thing that people complain about the most, just ahead of the traffic and the expensive homes. . That being said, there are many qualities that many people find appealing including urban, walkable, dense cities (Portland/Seattle), great scenery, ridiculous access to outdoor activities, high paying jobs, and a liberal/non-religious culture.
It seems that people who move from the PNW to the South are a lot more "clicky" and easier to get along with than other population groups. When most of us Southerners think "Pacific Northwest" images of a futuristic looking, and very 'green' cities comes to mind.

Now that you mention it, I've talked with a few from the Seattle and Portland areas who say they left to be in a more "religious" environment. I guess so their opinions actually feel meaningful (one Conservative in a Liberal area isn't going to feel like their voice is heard). But then again, you don't have to be religious to be Conservative.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:01 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,885,667 times
Quote:
But then again, you don't have to be religious to be Conservative.
I don't think the entire NW is as "liberal" as it is portrayed outside of immediate Seattle and Portland. In my experience a lot of Central/Eastern Washington and Oregon and into Idaho are conservative. Not in the same sense as the South. Not the religious conservatives, but the Libertarian leave me the hell alone type of conservative. Even the democrats in the NW aren't like democrats you would find in the NE, or California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.