Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 03:55 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
I have only lived in Chicago and Atlanta (I'm a Chicago native currently in Atlanta) and Chicago has Atlanta beat in every category in my opinion. They only thing Atlanta has better is the weather.

I actually had a hard time findings parks to go to when I moved to Georgia. Chicago unlike a Atlanta, every neighborhood has it's own park and you can't beat running down the Chicago's lakefront. Also park facilities in Chicago are free. In metro Atlanta you have to pay to use a public swimming pool and also tennis courts in some parks. You often have to drive to get to a nice park in Atlanta.

Chicago has much better shopping options and the clothes in Chicago are much more fashionable than you'd get in Atlanta. If I was able to leave Atlanta to go to Chicago to shop twice a year, I would.

Atlanta's nightlife is lame and limited. The folks here seem to love it though.

Chicago is a huge pro sports city. While Atlantans love their Falcons, Georgians are obsessed with college sports, especially college football. You have folks who are rabid Bulldog fans who never even went to UGA lol.

I can't speak for dog parks. Whenever we had dogs in Chicago we walked them in our neighborhoods or neighborhood parks. Parks in Atlanta have dog areas but I'm sure Chicago has plenty.

Chicago completely smashes Atlanta in this category. Atlanta's food is horrible in comparison. The Chinese food in Atlanta is just plain nasty and the pizza just doesn't compare to Chicago style.

Chicago also completely smashes Atlanta in this category. Atlanta's museums are overpriced and their collections and exhibits are lame. Atlanta's High Museum of Art doesn't hold a candle to Chicago's Art Institute. Atlanta's Fernbank Natural History Museum doesn't touch Chicago's Field Museum of Natural History, and Atlanta has nothing like Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry or Planetarium. Atlanta has a huge aquarium but again, it's overpriced and still not as good as Chicago's Shedd Aquarium. Atlanta's High Museum of Art does have great traveling exhibits, but outside of this, it's not worth the admission price.

Atlanta's crime rate is higher than both Chicago's and Houston's. Atlanta has consistently remained on the FBI's 10 most dangerous cities list.

Chicago:

Population: 2,707,120
Crime rate: 54.24 per 1,000 residents

Houston:

Population: 2,145,146
Crime rate: 61.32 per 1,000 residents

Atlanta:

Population: 432,427
Crime rate: 89.46 per 1,000

For Atlanta to have a population so low but a crime rate so high says a lot.

Chicago's attractions blow Atlanta's out of the water. Also you can see and experience a lot in Chicago for free. In Atlanta's aren't nearly as nice and you have to pay for everything.

Atlanta has warmer weather but that's about it. The pollen season here is bad too. Chicago winters are bearable once you get use to it. And there's nothing like Chicago in the summertime!
I hope you can eventually get back to your hometown. Sucks to live somewhere you don't particularly care for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 04:27 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Chicago has much better shopping options and the clothes in Chicago are much more fashionable than you'd get in Atlanta. If I was able to leave Atlanta to go to Chicago to shop twice a year, I would.
I'm going to need you to expand on this. I have to admit that I personally think Atlantans are more fashionable than Chicagoans, but both cities really have the same big names in fashion retail.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:33 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I have not spent time in Houston (I like the rest of Texas that I have seen) but I think Chicago is dirty and has thug politics and Atlanta is too hot and has too much traffic, not as awful as Los Angeles traffic, but close.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:45 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,544,005 times
I will say Chicago has the better experience for shopping than Atlanta. There is nothing like a Magnificent mile in Atlanta. Especially in the winter.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:13 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,219,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I hope you can eventually get back to your hometown. Sucks to live somewhere you don't particularly care for.
I'm trying to get my kid through high school then I'm out. It it wasn't for family, I never would've moved to Atlanta. Family circumstances put me in Atlanta. It wasn't a choice. I've tried to like Atlanta but it just doesn't compare.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I'm going to need you to expand on this. I have to admit that I personally think Atlantans are more fashionable than Chicagoans, but both cities really have the same big names in fashion retail.
The selection of clothing in Chicago is much better than what you get in Atlanta. The clothes just look better. Clothing stores are stocked based on demographics, so everything isn't the same everywhere. I see people wearing lots of tacky stuff here in Atlanta when out and about.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I'm trying to get my kid through high school then I'm out. It it wasn't for family, I never would've moved to Atlanta. Family circumstances put me in Atlanta. It wasn't a choice. I've tried to like Atlanta but it just doesn't compare.
And it seems as though that's the issue: you don't see Atlanta for what it is, but only in relation to Chicago. So of course you're going to notice its shortcomings that much more quickly. I'm pretty sure you get NYC transplants in Chicago saying the same things about that city.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:39 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner016 View Post
That's what I heard and that Chicago has pretty high taxes itself. Do you think someone could live comfortable off of 66k a year in Chicago? I plan on living in an apartment and most likely trying to find a roommate
You're good. I do think your salary will go the furthest in Houston, but you'll be fine in Chicago.

Chicago offers you a true urban lifestyle...it's noticeably larger and generally offers just a little bit more than the other two cities. Houston and Atlanta can offer an urban experience, but it's just not as abundant.

I think you're gonna get a good sense of what you want after visiting. I don't think you will end up in a bad place, just think about what kind of weather you like the most, what kind of city you like, etc.

And if you're still not sure after visiting, you might actually compare the jobs and their locations. This could probably play a big role into what kind of lifestyle you can have in Houston/Atlanta (Like your commute...traffic, etc)

Quote:

Chicago completely smashes Atlanta in this category. Atlanta's food is horrible in comparison. The Chinese food in Atlanta is just plain nasty and the pizza just doesn't compare to Chicago style.
I disagree...Chinese food in Atlanta is excellent.

Old 06-10-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
And it seems as though that's the issue: you don't see Atlanta for what it is, but only in relation to Chicago. So of course you're going to notice its shortcomings that much more quickly. I'm pretty sure you get NYC transplants in Chicago saying the same things about that city.
I am much more open-minded than you think and it's not simply a matter of comparing. Things like living in a major city but not being able to get around without a car is simply ridiculous to me. It's not about noticing shortcomings. I guess at the end of the day, what Atlanta is, it just doesn't fit my personality or the quality of life I'd wish to have, and trust me I've tried. Man, I've tried!

But the things I've listed aren't even just me not liking Atlanta. The things that are important to the OP, when comparing the two cities, what she wants, Atlanta just doesn't have it on the same scale as Chicago, and quite frankly Chicago does it much better. You don't have to love or hate Atlanta to recognize that. You think the High compares to the Art Institute?

The OP asked those of us who have knowledge of each place which do they like better and I answered her questions. What's the harm in that?

Old 06-10-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I am much more open-minded than you think and it's not simply a matter of comparing. Things like living in a major city but not being able to get around without a car is simply ridiculous to me. It's not about noticing shortcomings. I guess at the end of the day, what Atlanta is, it just doesn't fit my personality or the quality of life I'd wish to have, and trust me I've tried. Man, I've tried!
And that's fine; every city isn't for everyone.

Quote:
But the things I've listed aren't even just me not liking Atlanta. The things that are important to the OP, when comparing the two cities, what she wants, Atlanta just doesn't have it on the same scale as Chicago, and quite frankly Chicago does it much better. You don't have to love or hate Atlanta to recognize that. You think the High compares to the Art Institute?

The OP asked those of us who have knowledge of each place which do they like better and I answered her questions. What's the harm in that?
I'm pretty sure the OP isn't expecting Atlanta (or Houston for that matter) to have every amenity be comparable to Chicago's given historic and current size differences. But it's not as though you were completely objective about Atlanta here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.