Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What city should I consider out of the four
Seattle, Washington 5 25.00%
Detroit, Michigan 2 10.00%
San Antonio, Texas 6 30.00%
Minneapolis, Minnesota 7 35.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 11:50 AM

15 posts, read 51,605 times

Advertisements

I am 17 and getting ready to move out on my own. The only problem is that I don't know where to go. Can anyone help me? I want a place with the following:

1. has to be clean. I understand cities have rundown areas, but I don't want the whole city to be a craphole.

2. I want to live in a city with good public transporation. I have no car, so public trans. is very important.

3. The cost of housing has to be relatively low. I need to be able to live somwhere that I can afford. A place where the incomes are well.

4. I really don't like small cities. I like places with a population of like 300,000 or more. Small cities just don't mix with me.

5. I want a city that is green. I love trees and water, and I really want to live somewhere that is really scenic.

I think that is about it. IF anyone could get back to me, I would greatly appreciate it. My e-mail address is [email]TrueDaniel_G@hotmail.com[/email] and I would love to hear back from you. Thanks for your help. I really need it.

Daniel True
[email]TrueDaniel_G@hotmail.com[/email]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2006, 12:09 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,669,506 times
Seattle will meet all your needs it has everything you are looking for except the housing, you can rent their affordably but buying will have to be in the out side neighborhoods i lived therefor two years. greatcity, lots of urban appeal and very green, lots of trees and it is on the sound not to mention one ofthe prettiest cities I have ever seen.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:43 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
What type of climate do you like? You have Minn. listed and also Texas. Do you like hot and humid or frigid cold with a lot of snow? Sorry I didn't vote, but I wanted to know which climate you prefer first.

Old 10-11-2006, 12:48 PM

Default Reply:

Hi, I don't really mind. I lived in Alaska for 13 1/2 years. I have never really lived in a humid place. Here in Arizona it gets to be 100 with 90% percent humidity for about two months a year. It really doesn't matter. I just need to find a place to go. I want to start college soon, and am lost. Thanks.

Daniel True

Old 10-11-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_true View Post
Hi, I don't really mind. I lived in Alaska for 13 1/2 years. I have never really lived in a humid place. Here in Arizona it gets to be 100 with 90% percent humidity for about two months a year. It really doesn't matter. I just need to find a place to go. I want to start college soon, and am lost. Thanks.

Daniel True
TrueDaniel_G@hotmail.com
Hey I am in AZ to and my son is attending Collins College for game design, what is it you want to do?, we looked at lots of colleges maybe I can help.

Old 10-11-2006, 03:14 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,091,725 times
I voted for San Antonio, solely because it is near Austin and Austin is supposed to be booming right now with jobs, opportunity, and fun.

Old 10-11-2006, 04:18 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,393,679 times
I'm gonna rank them for each of your criteria and then whichever has the lowest score wins:

Overall cleanliness:

1. Seattle
2. Minneapolis
3. San Antonio
4. Detroit

Good public transportation:

1. Seattle (the most dense of the cities with a good bus system)
2. Minneapolis (light rail and bus; might be even better than Seattle but not as dense and walkable)
3. San Antonio
4. Detroit

Cost of housing (from cheapest to most expensive):

1. San Antonio
2. Detroit
3. Minneapolis
4. Seattle

Big and cosmopolitan:

1. Seattle
2. Minneapolis
3. Detroit
4. San Antonio

Scenic city with lots of trees, greenery and water:

1. Seattle
2. Minneapolis
3. Detroit
4. San Antonio

Total scores:

Seattle - 8
Minneapolis - 9
San Antonio - 15
Detroit - 16

Congratulations, you're going to Seattle! Seriously though, Seattle sounds like the best bet for you and even had you of not listed it as among your top choices, I would have recommended it. The cost of housing is certainly an issue but you can defray that cost a bit by rooming with someone or renting out a room in someone's home. Otherwise, it sounds like the perfect city for you.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:41 PM

Default To Nea1

Hi, I want to do journalism. I was at a college fair last night here in Tucson, and found a lot of schools that offer Journalism. I just am having a hard time deciding where to live. If you could help in any way, that would be great. Thanks.

Daniel True

Old 10-11-2006, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_true View Post
Hi, I want to do journalism. I was at a college fair last night here in Tucson, and found a lot of schools that offer Journalism. I just am having a hard time deciding where to live. If you could help in any way, that would be great. Thanks.

Daniel True
TrueDaniel_G@hotmail.com
Well there is the School of Communications at Washington University in Seattle which is highly accredited as well as the Department of Journalism at Western Washington University. I hear both are very good schools.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:33 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,159,933 times
San Antonio will be the first choice.

1. has to be clean. I understand cities have rundown areas, but I don't want the whole city to be a craphole. Any town/city in the US, got to make the correct decisions

2. I want to live in a city with good public transpiration. I have no car, so public trans. is very important. Excellent transportation in SA

3. The cost of housing has to be relatively low. I need to be able to live somewhere that I can afford. A place where the incomes are well. Be careful, see rule #1.

4. I really don't like small cities. I like places with a population of like 300,000 or more. Small cities just don't mix with me. Estimated population in July 2005: 1,256,509

//www.city-data.com/city/San-Antonio-Texas.html

5. I want a city that is green. I love trees and water, and I really want to live somewhere that is really scenic. San Antonio is the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.