Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 03:04 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 04:50 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
I just have to say i looked at all 8 pages of pictures and they are beautiful as i learned alot that i never knew existed about this great vast country we live in.

Here's some other pics of New Mexico.....................................

White Sands National Monument
[IMG][/IMG]

Sacramento Mountains
[IMG][/IMG]

Sacramento Mountains with White Sands Below
[IMG][/IMG]

Jemez Mountains
[IMG][/IMG]

Sandia Mountains
[IMG][/IMG]

Mogollon Mountains

Sangre de Christo Mountains (wheeler peak) Highest point in New Mexico 13,161 ft
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 11-07-2007, 04:52 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Beautiful shots of NM, one of my fave states. Nothing beats the Sangre de Cristo's when theyre bathed in red sunset light. Mmmm, truly a sight to behold.

Old 11-07-2007, 05:25 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
Steve....i was struck of how Garden of the Gods and also LaRue/Pine Hill looks like parts of NM's Mountain areas. Funny how we all have an image of a place we have never been to as i always thought of Illinois being flat. Those are cool pics to see dude....Was the one pic taken from the Sears Tower at night ?? Looked like NYC at night.......

Old 11-07-2007, 08:03 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,074,051 times
Here's some of Bernheim forest in Bullitt Co KY:

Old 11-09-2007, 05:13 AM

288 posts, read 1,328,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtintype View Post
I laughed when I read some of your posts on Portland for your interesting choice of "facts."

How long has it been since you were in Portland anyway? For anyone interested in reading some interesting (and more realistic) info about Portland from a source outside of Portland, check out the multiple NYT articles recently on some of the great things about Portland. They're way more informative and accurate than Monumental's interesting opinions.

Re: diversity. Portland and Oregon is definitely not diverse by the standards of a place like San Francisco (where I grew up), but diversity here is increasing dramatically and is up to 50% non white in some towns and at this point I think the city of Portland is about 75% white. Obviously not diverse again by standards such as LA and SF but to say it has zero diversity is pretty lame.
some people never cease to amaze me! (you're hurting freedom of speech with your post) lol. Just kidding I'll try to go easy on you.

First off the word lame was retired in the 90's. LMAO!

Second Portland is the whitest major city in the US and their only majority black neighborhood is now majority white. (do your research)

3. Portland, and Oregon is in the top 10 for highest unemployment rates.

Just two years ago, the City was 2nd worse, and the state was 3rd. Pretty much the Detroit of the west coast. (well maybe not Detroit, but pretty bad anyway) (in contrast Seattle, and San Francisco / San Jose are some of the wealthiest cities in the US)

4. I was in Portland 5 months ago (summer and it was raining) The city looks depressing to me, very hippy, street kids, back packer type of thing going on. Feels very middle of nowhere to me. Pretty much everyone I know says the same thing. My Family there...... (my cousin said, he was bored out of his mind in Portland, and wanted to leave as soon as he got out of highschool) They live 10 minutes from downtown, and it looks like we were in the woods. .........He left to New York, now he lives in Seattle.

5. If you want to know about a city, you don't read some silly article..........You go to the city yourself and find out if it meets your needs, and fits your lifestyle. (been there, and Portland does not work for me at all)

Portland, has green trees, and rivers yes. The Pacific Northwest is scenically beautiful in general. But the city of Portland is ugly IMO.

Truthfully, Portland really doesn't even come into thought with me, it's just some place I fly over to get to San Francisco and Los Angeles thats it.

Like I said before. If you are a person who needs to be in a big city, to have all the amenities that go with it, and a great economy........then Portland shouldn't be anywhere near a list of places to go to.

I'm not here to get into some big debate with you (because I don't feel I need to over a city irrelevant to me ), I just find nothing what so ever appealing about the place. It's the least populated metro on the west coast for a reason.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:48 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Steve....i was struck of how Garden of the Gods and also LaRue/Pine Hill looks like parts of NM's Mountain areas. Funny how we all have an image of a place we have never been to as i always thought of Illinois being flat. Those are cool pics to see dude....Was the one pic taken from the Sears Tower at night ?? Looked like NYC at night.......
Well, most of Illinois is indeed flat. There are a few central areas of the state that have some small hills, but the NW corner and far southern portions of the state are where the medium-sized hills are. You wont find any mountains here, thats for sure. And the pic of Chicago at night looks like it was taken looking south from the John Hancock Building. That restaurant would be the Signature Room on the 95th floor.

http://web.mit.edu/dlcchan/www/Chicago/Chicago%20035-r.jpg (broken link)

Signature Room at the 95th - When the Sky is the Limit...

There is also a cool lookin Cheesecake Factory at the base of the tower:

Old 11-09-2007, 09:00 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,147,243 times
Nebraska

Last edited by tpabes; 11-09-2007 at 09:36 AM..

Old 11-09-2007, 09:09 AM

Some more Nebraska

http://sp1.mm-a6.yimg.com/image/3399022916 (broken link)

Last edited by tpabes; 11-09-2007 at 09:37 AM..

Old 11-09-2007, 09:35 AM

A little more Nebraska (I having camera troubles, so getting off the internet that is why some are so small)

What most people see

This is funny

http://sp1.mm-a6.yimg.com/image/3582283903 (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.