Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2007, 12:35 PM

33 posts, read 284,333 times

Advertisements

Howdy..

I'm new to the Forum, and I did a pretty thorough search on this subject.. but a lot of the threads were aimed more towards specific areas. I'm looking for any area.. suggestion-wise, on where a young interracial couple could start a life together and raise a family no problem. I'll give you the gist of the situation.

Currently, my fiance (who is black) and I (white) live in Sacramento. She has lived here her entire life, I for about a year.. I don't like the area, and she's sick of it too. We attempted to get out of the region by moving to Phoenix, but in the short timespan we were there we encountered nothing but problems and wound back up here. I was born and raised in Buffalo, NY. I've also lived in Melbourne, FL and for a brief time San Diego. You don't realize things until you're in a specific relationship yourself - like the one we're in together now, so I couldn't tell tolerance from anything. My general question is for everybody on this forum.

Where to go? I mean sure, I realize 110% that you're not going to find a perfect area, even in today's day and age, but I want someplace affordable, nice climate, and accepting. I don't think it's too hard to ask. We tend to get the most problems from blacks - they really don't like it.. so we need to keep that in mind too. I've travelled most of the country and have seen most of the South, and to me that seems like an area to stay away from.

What about Portland, OR? Austin, TX? I'd say Denver but I hate Winter..

Suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 12:51 PM

741 posts, read 2,922,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clortho1 View Post
Where to go? I mean sure, I realize 110% that you're not going to find a perfect area, even in today's day and age, but I want someplace affordable, nice climate, and accepting.

...I'd say Denver but I hate Winter..
Sounds like you're describing Albuquerque. And our weather is fairly similar to Denver, except our Winters are typically very mild. Definitely an area for you to consider!

Chap

Old 06-16-2007, 04:43 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,207,145 times
I think you need a large, liberal urban area where people I would imagine don't have the time to sit around thinking about things like that. I have no experience with this so I don't know if this helps. I think large cities, with a tolerance for this and other things. Shouldn't be ' tolerance ' but acceptance. Unfortunately these are cities like New York, San Francisco, Chicago, Los Angeles. Nothern cities. An interesting topic would be identifying the most tolerant small town in America.

Old 06-16-2007, 04:25 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,939 times
Well, after reading an article in the paper today, I can tell you that Kansas City is definitely NOT a place for an interracial couple. In Rushville, MO, a northern suburb of KC, five men set fire to a interracial couple's home for the simple reason that they didn't believe in interracial marriage. So unless you want your home burned down, I'd look someplace besides KC. I'd say Western or Northern cities would be your best bet. I've also seen plenty of interracial couples in St. Louis.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:19 AM

1 posts, read 8,379 times
Default Best city and town !!

I seem to find myself in interracial relationships all the time now I'm married to a Dutch man, we live in Holland now, but if I had to move back to America.

New York City is pretty open to interracial couples the city is so diverse nobody has time to worry about mixed couples.

Woodstock was rated the top palce according to interracial magazine. I lived there for 9 years and never had a problem. There was a time during my first marriage, where my husband at the time and I were the only black couple there.

I heard Ashville is tolerrant. But I have never been there. Just make sure you have work set up before moving to Woodstock and it's really cold in the winter and lonley, but great little town with open minded folks.

Old 12-07-2007, 12:01 PM

2,744 posts, read 6,109,645 times
The census bureau labeled San Antonio as the most unsegregated large city in the country. Racial tension is very low here compared too other large cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.