U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2007, 10:18 AM

7 posts, read 24,571 times

Advertisements

I just ran across this site looking for how I might discover the right place to live. I'm a woman in her 60s wanting to find a seacoast or harbor town. I'd love to see the big boats--commercial, private, pleasure--and to smell the salt air, and listen to the tide rising and falling. I'd like to walk in the sand and look out over the ocean. I would love to be near a lighthouse--would actually like to man one, if possible--and have plenty of open space to walk or bike. But I also want to be within reasonable distance to art galleries, museums, orchestra concerts, etc. I've mostly lived in big cities but I loved the green rural pastures I saw when I visited England. Now, I think I'd like to live on the coastline. I love the image of the rocky cliffs of Maine but I'm no longer young enough to enjoy all the winter maintenance chores. I'm not a southerner though at present I'm living in Virginia while caring for an elderly relative. I'm not affluent but I'd love to find a property near the water and/or nature. Does anyone know of just the place I'm attempting to describe?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 11:07 AM

20,004 posts, read 74,913,006 times
Somewhere along the Oregon or Washington coast might work for you.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:11 AM

1,575 posts, read 6,123,920 times
The Oregon Coast has some pretty amazing spots that sound like they might fit the bill. And typically, the Oregon Coast has warmer winters than Maine (but it can still be chilly for a large part of the year). The biggest problem for you might be the lack of culture, although Portland and Eugene are not far (depending on what part of the coast you are in).

If it is warmer weather you seek, you might want to check out areas around Charleston, SC and Savannah, GA. Both are nice port towns.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:34 PM

Thank you, goozer, for your response. I'm not familiar with the South and have the East Coast in mind, anywhere from Virginia on up to Maine, but there's no reason why I could not check out Savannah and Charleston. Who are you and where do you live?

Old 11-07-2007, 04:08 PM

1,575 posts, read 6,123,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJane View Post
Thank you, goozer, for your response. I'm not familiar with the South and have the East Coast in mind, anywhere from Virginia on up to Maine, but there's no reason why I could not check out Savannah and Charleston. Who are you and where do you live?
I am a married father of one high-energy toddler who has been living in Decatur, GA (suburb of Atlanta) for the past couple of years, although I've lived in several places on the east and west coast before coming to Georgia.

I can tell you that for people who love southern living, Charleston is the ideal city for many of them. It's on the coast, has great food, is an Old South city with southern manners, and has a very mild climate. While I am not a born and bred southerner, I can see why people are attracted to Charleston's charms. I also think the historic district in Savannah is unique among American cities. The two cities are about a two and a half hour drive apart, so if you ever visit down there, you could probably see both cities on one trip.

I also recommend the Oregon Coast because it is spectacular -- probably the prettiest coastline in the Lower 48. It's a little isolated (nearest big city is Portland, OR), but it has the coastal beauty that you seem to be looking for.

Old 12-07-2007, 10:22 AM

Default Thanks for your response

Thank you, goozer, for your reply. Your suggestions are excellent and I will take them to heart. I want to go south to check out Charleston and Savannah. I appreciate the detail in your explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.