Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 01:33 AM

567 posts, read 1,119,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
Maybe San Diego, maybe Sacramento, but not the Bay Area and certainly not Los Angeles.
San Diego feels weird. It feels segregated. Not in the hardcore Jim Crow kind of way, but it feels like L.A. must have felt back in the early 60s. That was just my impression, like the division was more solid there than back in L.A. Sure, the Eastside is a sea of brown, but we're everywhere else, too! Nowhere in L.A. does a brown person look out of place. Again, that was just my impression.

They're also a lot more right wing down there. They had Roger Hedgecock (sp?) for a mayor, for example. Pete Wilson country, in other words.

As for Los Angeles, as myself and the other person said, if we're talking about young Americanized second and third generation educated/professional people, it's ethno-racial utopia, and there's a whole lot more of that than most people realize. It transcends whatever self-imposed ethnic/geographic segregation there is. I doubt even New York has that to the same degree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 03:51 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,595,746 times
NYC is probably the most diverse city in the states. It is also the largest and one of the densest. There is racial tension in the area but has a surprisingly very low crime rate. I vote NYC on this topic. The concept of racial intermingling is found nowhere else in the states to the extent it exists in NYC.

My second nomination would be Honolulu.

In order to consider the place, you have to think about a fair representation of all races. NYC has that. Seattle doesn't.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:23 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,966,855 times
I would agree with the statements on the newly established cities not having the history like Memphis St. Louis and Chicago. I lived in Charlotte for two years and I didn't feel any racial tensions. The perception of racial harmony was one of the things that I liked about the city. Location within a city can also determine your experience as a minority. My first two years in Chicago I didn't encounter any racial tensions out of the ordinary. When I got outside of Hyde Park that's when I saw how serious the problem was.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:06 AM

690 posts, read 963,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
NYC is probably the most diverse city in the states. It is also the largest and one of the densest. There is racial tension in the area but has a surprisingly very low crime rate. I vote NYC on this topic. The concept of racial intermingling is found nowhere else in the states to the extent it exists in NYC.

My second nomination would be Honolulu.

In order to consider the place, you have to think about a fair representation of all races. NYC has that. Seattle doesn't.
Only a person who never lived in nyc will vote for it
Racial tensions are quite high here and i met more racist people here than u would expect in such a diverse area, diversity doesnt necessarily mean racial harmony

Old 06-14-2013, 07:27 AM

358 posts, read 621,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalLord View Post
Las Vegas was a better place to be black than L.A. was. It was certainly better to be black there than back in my part of L.A.
CO-SIGN this comment

Old 06-14-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
Only a person who never lived in nyc will vote for it
Racial tensions are quite high here and i met more racist people here than u would expect in such a diverse area, diversity doesnt necessarily mean racial harmony
I nearly fall out laughing when I hear New Yorkers bash other cities (especially southern cities) for racial tensions when I know better. (I'm NYC biggest fan and have never lived there). Some think "we are too sophisticated and cultured to be racist". I don't think NYC is as bad as Chicago, St. Louis and Detroit. I think this thread is about having a mild racial climate. No city is above being racist. None!

Last edited by mjtinmemphis; 06-14-2013 at 08:02 AM..

Old 06-14-2013, 08:05 AM

690 posts, read 963,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I nearly fall out laughing when I hear New Yorkers bash other cities (especially southern cities) for racial tensions when I know better. (I'm NYC biggest fan and have never lived there). Some think "we are too sophisticated and cultured to be racist". I don't think NYC is as bad as Chicago, St. Louis and Detroit. I think this thread is about having a mild racial climate. No city is above being racist. None!
it seems to me that southern cities today are less racist than northern ones, contrary to whatever stereotypes
they might be country down there, but all the data show them as less segregated so they are prolly more tolerant, otherwise all the blacks wouldnt be moving there at such a rapid rate from northern cities

Old 06-14-2013, 08:27 AM

567 posts, read 1,119,856 times
I think the PacNorthwest, specifically Seattle, wins out over both the Rust Belt and the South, not to mention NYC and Boston.

Portland I'm not quite so sure about, though. I went there once, you definitely got the feeling that there was a specific black part of town that black people stuck to, and I saw dudes going around sporting their crappy jailhouse white power tatts down by the river walk. I was kind of "eerrhhhmmmmmm...."

Old 06-14-2013, 08:38 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
NYC has large amount of racial intermingling but it also has issues, with a some tension and some areas that are incredibly segregated. There are city neighborhoods and suburbs which used almost entirely white, and have diversified, but still have almost no black people. The fact some thought a question like this is reasonable gives a hint:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...bay-ridge.html

Many older people in the suburbs left because of white flight. It was only twenty years ago, stuff like this happened.

Marchers and Brooklyn Youths Trade Racial Jeers - NYTimes.com

and today:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOkidd View Post
- Although New York is very diverse and cosmopolitan, it still tends to be divided along ethnic lines to a certain extent, especially it's black and Latino population. There are neighbourhoods in New York (I know, because I've been to them) where people will actually call you out for being white and tell you that you shouldn't be there. I've had Puerto Ricans in New York derisively tell me I couldn't possibly be half Puerto Rican because my skin is too light, while they meanwhile don't speak a word of Spanish and have never even been to the island. I've even had a cop in the Bronx, on the Grand Concourse near the Cross Bronx ask me and my girl what we were doing there, and pretty much order us to get on the subway and "go back to Manhattan". When I ignored him and asked how many minutes we were from East Tremont by foot, he dismissed us with a wave of his hand, turned his back and walked away. Another cop on Atlantic Ave. near downtown Brooklyn told me and my girl not to walk too far, lest we end up somewhere we don't belong. I asked him what he meant, and he told us that there several neighbourhoods nearby where we didn't belong (he was black). My very first time in Harlem, almost the minute I stepped out of the cab onto Lennox, early on a Sunday morning, a young guy walking his dog called me an f'n white boy as he passed. I asked him to repeat what he said, and he turned around, flipped me the bird, and told me to get back in the cab and to back to where I belonged. Nothing like this has ever happened to me in all the many years I've lived in Toronto, and never would because there is no such thing as a black neighbourhood in Toronto. Our poorest, most "ghetto" areas are racially mixed, and one can see people of all ethnicities walking the streets. Even in areas where certain ethnicities have a large population, they never make up 50% or more of the population, with the exception of Caucasians who do predominate in some areas. I've always had a saying that in Toronto we treat all our poor people equally badly regardless of race, and disparities in this city are certainly more income-based than race-based. As a result, I know I can go to any neighbourhood in the city and not stick out just because of the color of my skin. I like this about Toronto, and find New Yorkers to be a little too preoccupied with race and skin color by comparison.
While many areas have become very mixed, and it's better than most northern cities, the west coast is still probably better.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
it seems to me that southern cities today are less racist than northern ones, contrary to whatever stereotypes
they might be country down there, but all the data show them as less segregated so they are prolly more tolerant, otherwise all the blacks wouldnt be moving there at such a rapid rate from northern cities
I would agree with that as a whole. There are a few northern cities gaining Black population like Minneapolis and Columbus. The big cities like Chicago are losing some are going to the suburbs others are leaving the State all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.