Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 09:15 AM

539 posts, read 1,923,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
it seems to me that southern cities today are less racist than northern ones, contrary to whatever stereotypes

Depends on what race you're talking about. For blacks, this may be true. For Hispanic or Middle Eastern people, absolutely not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 01:42 PM

739 posts, read 1,187,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portlanderinOC View Post
It may seem that way on the surface, but Houston is still very segregated.
it's not that segregated...and certainly not racially tense as some cities.... very diverse. You can go to practically any area of metro Houston and find people from different "walks of life" living in the same neighborhoods.... shopping, dining, just practically co-habiting (i don't mean living under the same roof, just living within the same communities).

Old 06-14-2013, 03:05 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,590,914 times
I am gathering from this thread that many of you are referring to racial harmony as primarily a black/white issue. The world has changed along with our metro areas. It is no longer a black/white but rather a Asian/African/Caribbean/South American/Indian/Native/white/black/whatever else. No city has that intermingling more than NYC.

As to the above poster who claims one must live in NYC to know NYC--you don't need to be a chicken to know what an egg is.

I never said that NYC is without racial strife--no city is. But claiming that the west coast is so much more racially together is absurd. Wasn't that all part of Mexico at one time??? If I remember correctly, they weren't treated to friendly...

Seattle never had to deal with the issues that most of the rest of the country had to deal with. If so, it would be no different. Throw in the melting pot existing in NYC and Seattleites will be bouncing off the walls.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:46 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,881,626 times
California is very mellow between a specific blend of races. Pretty much whites, Mexicans, and Asians blend together seamlessly, yet I feel that African Americans and any other group not white/Mexican/Asian in California are pretty much pushed into their own "click".

Old 06-14-2013, 04:39 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,590,914 times
A few years ago, I was on a city bus in San Francisco going up to the Haight from downtown. Daytime-around 12 or so, nice day and there ya go: the fight started between a group of black chicks and Latina chicks and soon thereafter, the fellas decided to get involved. The bus driver stopped the bus and called the police but not before a lot of punching, pushing, and an infinite amount of racial slurs were shared by all. Not to mellow in my book. Sorry.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:45 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,511,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
A few years ago, I was on a city bus in San Francisco going up to the Haight from downtown. Daytime-around 12 or so, nice day and there ya go: the fight started between a group of black chicks and Latina chicks and soon thereafter, the fellas decided to get involved. The bus driver stopped the bus and called the police but not before a lot of punching, pushing, and an infinite amount of racial slurs were shared by all. Not to mellow in my book. Sorry.
Buses in San Francisco sometimes turn into a publicized viewing of bad behavior although part of that I'd like to attribute to the failing of the MUNI transit system itself--those buses are always late.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:04 PM

1,370 posts, read 3,051,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
it's not that segregated...and certainly not racially tense as some cities.... very diverse. You can go to practically any area of metro Houston and find people from different "walks of life" living in the same neighborhoods.... shopping, dining, just practically co-habiting (i don't mean living under the same roof, just living within the same communities).
It's different once you get outside the inner loop.

Old 06-14-2013, 06:20 PM

690 posts, read 963,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQUEMINI331 View Post
Depends on what race you're talking about. For blacks, this may be true. For Hispanic or Middle Eastern people, absolutely not.
for them its the same everywhere, esp middle eastern

Old 06-14-2013, 06:46 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,181,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen Palm View Post
That's cool stuff! That's a very redeeming quality about a city, so I bet I'd like that aspect about Houston!

Old 06-14-2013, 07:24 PM

539 posts, read 1,923,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stechkin View Post
for them its the same everywhere, esp middle eastern

No, there's not many places in this country worse for Hispanic people. Surely you've heard about Alabama's immigration law? The one that state legislators bragged was way tougher than Arizona's infamous bill? I've heard some horror stories, man.

The South has finally gotten around to accepting / tolerating black people. But getting them to do the same for other minorities (especially Hispanics and Middle Eastern people) is going to be a long and tough road.

You have to remember that true multiculturalism (not just black and white people, but having a diverse array of many different groups) is a relatively new thing for the South. While every other part of the country used immigrants to fill its demand for labor, the South just used slaves. After the Civil War, they simply used poor blacks and poor whites. I would argue that the South did not have a large scale influx of immigrants until after the civil rights movement. Having a society that's more than just black people and white people is a relatively new thing there, especially in the deep, deep southern states like Mississippi, Alabama, and Arkansas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.