Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 09:37 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,057,256 times

Advertisements

For Chicago.....I really don't know.

There are sports rivalries, such as St. Louis, Green Bay, Milwaukee, but just as far as similar cities there aren't a ton. People who haven't lived in either city will say NYC, but NYC doesn't care about Chicago and I never hear anything in Chicago about NYC other than what you'd hear from elsewhere in the country. People either love it or hate it, go there for work/vacation. They're so different. In the Midwest Detroit is the next largest metro, but it has so many problems it's not really a rivalry. Minneapolis is doing well, but it's like 1/3 the size and off the radar.

We just kinda chill on our own. Have our own problems as well as great aspects to keep us busy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 09:40 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,057,256 times
Growing up I noticed a bit of an Omaha-Des Moines rivalry, and I've heard Des Moines-Madison discussed before.

Madison-Rockford? Knoxville-Chatanooga? Houston-Dallas? LA-San Fran? NYC-Boston? Tampa-Orlando?

Old 06-12-2013, 09:46 AM

8,940 posts, read 17,164,742 times
Indianapolis vs THE WORLD

Old 06-12-2013, 10:22 AM

1,580 posts, read 2,878,087 times
A few I have noticed:

Washington and Baltimore: Two large cities that are so close together yet so far apart culturally. They have very different feels and that sometimes results in some hard feeling between the two.

New Orleans and Atlanta: Two of the most important cities in the deep south. Again the cultures are very different. New Orleans is generally viewed by outsiders as a party town, whereas Atlanta is the business hub of the southeast. People who like one often dislike the other (i.e. people who are fans of NOLA say Atlanta is boring and too sprawling, people who are fans of Atlanta say that New Orleans is dirty and not good for anything except drinking). And of course Saints-Falcons is the best southern rivalry in the NFL.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:34 AM

10,721 posts, read 23,633,386 times
Albuquerque is a bit isolated to have any string rivalry, though occasionally it will duke it out with Santa Fe. The two Southwestern peer cities that can conjur some interesting rivalry are Tucson and El Paso. The trio rivalry is represented in this long winded and eventually closed thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...s-el-paso.html

Old 06-12-2013, 10:45 AM

1,466 posts, read 1,223,282 times
The only real rivalry I think Chicago has is Detroit, just based off sports. The Lions haven't been much competition, but the Red Wings-Blackhawks rivalry is pretty intense, the Sox and Tigers have a bit of a rivalry, and the Bulls and Pistons rivalry was as good as it gets up until the last few years.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:09 AM

5,993 posts, read 10,128,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Growing up I noticed a bit of an Omaha-Des Moines rivalry, and I've heard Des Moines-Madison discussed before.

Madison-Rockford? Knoxville-Chatanooga? Houston-Dallas? LA-San Fran? NYC-Boston? Tampa-Orlando?
Why would Madison compare itself with Rockford? I don't mean to slam Rockford, but I've heard it's pretty much a dump, and Madison is more like Ann Arbor, Des Moines, or even could be compared with much larger metros like Minneapolis, Columbus, KC or Indy.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:14 AM

23,309 posts, read 43,763,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by po-boy View Post
A few I have noticed:

Washington and Baltimore: Two large cities that are so close together yet so far apart culturally. They have very different feels and that sometimes results in some hard feeling between the two.

New Orleans and Atlanta: Two of the most important cities in the deep south. Again the cultures are very different. New Orleans is generally viewed by outsiders as a party town, whereas Atlanta is the business hub of the southeast. People who like one often dislike the other (i.e. people who are fans of NOLA say Atlanta is boring and too sprawling, people who are fans of Atlanta say that New Orleans is dirty and not good for anything except drinking). And of course Saints-Falcons is the best southern rivalry in the NFL.
Trust me, there is no rivalry between Atlanta and New Orleans.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:10 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,882,867 times
Well, I'm right outside New York City in northeastern NJ (20 miles). Philadelphia, LA, SF, and Chicago all have people who say they're similar to or better than New York and residents of both NYC/NYC area and those cities mentioned often fight (on here) over which is better and why. The one I'd find most similar is Chicago.

Philly and Boston are big New York team sports rivals - Mets/Phillies, Giants/Patriots, Yankees/Red Sox, etc.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:45 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,856,677 times
I currently live in Riverside, California which is a mid-sized city at 300K population which suffers from a severe inferiority complex being only 60 miles east of Los Angeles and beach cities in Orange County.

As for the major city in my region, LA has the higher population hands down, but is constantly at war with San Francisco and San Diego as the "better" West Coast city. Many people boast that SF is more of a "City" with a capital C whereas LA is more strip-mall, automobile focused. San Diego boosters flaunt its "better" beaches and general safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.