Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 05:35 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times

Advertisements

Spokane County, WA or Kootenai County, ID.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:34 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,006 times
The green of the eastern forests is beautiful but = humidity and summers can be unbearably sticky.
I miss the fantastic summers in Oregon, near Eugene, which is a tad less gloomy than Portland and Seattle during winter. Of course you can go over the mountains if you want sun. Bend, Oregon or Spokane, Wa. would give more sun in winter but colder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 11:04 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlicht View Post
points taken - but redding? i keep reading it's becoming a cesspool, why there?
Because I can get into a subsidized senior housing place there, which has been recently refurbished and turned into low-income senior housing. Their waiting list is open, and I should be able to get in in about a year.

I've been trying to get on a waiting list for subsidized housing in the SF Bay Area for years. The waiting lists have been closed for years, and even if you get on it the wait is like 8 years.

I get a free apt right now for managing the apt building I'm in, but it's next to the university and they've been pressuring the owner to sell. I don't know what would happen to me if he did, so when I learned that there was an open waiting list in Redding, I jumped on it.

I know it's a bit sketchy, but there's also a lot that's nice about it. And I want to stay in CA, and it's the only place I can afford being a low-income senior. The upside to Redding is that it's got good healthcare, great shopping, and no snow (or maybe the very occasional dusting only). So, I can keep my promise to myself to never live in snow again

Old 06-29-2013, 07:46 PM

14 posts, read 55,424 times
I live by Bend and we get allot of sun, but it so cold here. It's normal to snow in June. California I would say, thinking about moving back myself.

Old 06-29-2013, 08:34 PM

30,369 posts, read 19,156,062 times
I lived at least some in all 4 states.

Northern Cali - has the best climate of the 4, the Bay area is nice but super expensive. I like Redding too as they get a lot of sunshine and beauty all around. Also like Sacto as a sunny nice underrated city.

Oregon - good if you're a hippie. Low wages and high taxes make it not great for me. it is beautiful and Bend has some sun.

Washington - obviously this is where I've chosen but the downsides are gloomy climate primarily. Good economy, schools, low crime and Seattle is awesome and compensate for me but I think about moving every winter.

Idaho - nice people and some beautiful areas. Low wages and not much city outside of Boise. Boise is pretty nice and I could live there.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:12 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
I don't consider winter weather west of the Cascades "gloomy." I love it.

But I'm assuming you mean sunny. With that criteria, I'd go for Boise. Where winters are colder. And snowier. Which I find kind of "gloomy." YMMV.

Old 06-30-2013, 12:24 AM

6,413 posts, read 12,143,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkFlowerGarden View Post
I have been considering moving out West but I think I would miss the green that is East of the Mississippi. No, the PNW rainforests isn't the same green. I am talking thick lush forests. The other issue is air and water pollution. I was shocked at how few free flowing rivers there are in the PNW. For an area of the country that claims to be so progressive, they have the same environmental issues that are on the East coast.

There are more true hippies out East. The ones out West come off as hipster wannabe hippies.

The less of all evil is Idaho.
No lush forests in the West?

Okay, I know this isn't the most definitive comparison ... but using Google, here are the images returned:

Forest Oregon

Forest Pennsylvania

Old 06-30-2013, 05:10 AM

50 posts, read 101,709 times
Again, it isn't the same type of forests. By comparing the photos in the links, you can see the pine forests of Oregon and the hardwood forests of Pennsylvania. (Moss doesn't count as underbrush.)

The other contrast is the amount of forests. Only the western part of Oregon is rainforest. The entire west has only pockets of woods. Here, you have entire states that are forested throughout.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:50 AM

281 posts, read 713,048 times
Quote:
Again, it isn't the same type of forests. By comparing the photos in the links, you can see the pine forests of Oregon and the hardwood forests of Pennsylvania. (Moss doesn't count as underbrush.)

The other contrast is the amount of forests. Only the western part of Oregon is rainforest. The entire west has only pockets of woods. Here, you have entire states that are forested throughout.
Pockets of woods? Polluted air and water?? No hippies??? Hmmm, I'm going to wager you've never actually been to the west.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:01 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
I have been considering moving out West but I think I would miss the green that is East of the Mississippi. No, the PNW rainforests isn't the same green. I am talking thick lush forests. The other issue is air and water pollution. I was shocked at how few free flowing rivers there are in the PNW. For an area of the country that claims to be so progressive, they have the same environmental issues that are on the East coast.

There are more true hippies out East. The ones out West come off as hipster wannabe hippies.

The less of all evil is Idaho.
You claim there is more true hippies out East and that the forests aren't lush enough in the Northwest but then would rather live in the Republican paradise and fairly dry forests that is Idaho?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.