Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 12:01 AM

132 posts, read 258,722 times

Advertisements

just would like to know, if you had to choose between northern california, oregon, washington, and idaho as your place to live, where would you choose, and why?

also, which of these areas is the least gloomy during the winter months?

i presently reside in northern california and am considering the pros/cons of moving elsewhere, so opinions will help me quite a bit

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 12:05 AM

623 posts, read 957,799 times
East of the Cascades the weather is not gloomy. Bend has over 300 days of sunshine a year.

Sandpoint or Stanley Idaho are two places I would definitely consider if Alaska fell off the map.

Old 06-12-2013, 12:15 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,459,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by takuriver View Post
East of the Cascades the weather is not gloomy. Bend has over 300 days of sunshine a year.

Sandpoint or Stanley Idaho are two places I would definitely consider if Alaska fell off the map.
East of Cascades provide nice winters but last the convenience of the City. They also have extreme Temperates in the summer. If you can handle a few months of clouds think then Seattle or Portland should be fine. Both offer amazing summers!

Old 06-12-2013, 04:53 AM

9,469 posts, read 10,797,949 times
I would choose Idaho, there is less people there and more importantly there are less hippies and hipsters. I feel sorry for the people in the PNW that have had to put up with all the young people from around the country moving there because they think "portlandia" is cool, hip, progressive etc. Same for Seattle. Im sure it drives people nuts out there dealing with all of it. Idaho is beautiful, and no hippies.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:00 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,627 times
I guess Idaho (specifically Northern Idaho) wins my vote, but that's not to completely discard Northwestern Oregon and Southwestern Washington--the Portland-Vancouver-Beaverton area definitely has its allure.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:36 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
I grew up in CA. Moved to WA and lived all over the state for 18 years. Very depressing weather. Couldn't wait to get back. Finally made it back to CA. Will move to Redding from Bay Area because it's more affordable, but don't want to move any further north than that again.

It's true the east side of WA is sunnier in summer, but it is also much colder and snowier in winter.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:04 PM

132 posts, read 258,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I grew up in CA. Moved to WA and lived all over the state for 18 years. Very depressing weather. Couldn't wait to get back. Finally made it back to CA. Will move to Redding from Bay Area because it's more affordable, but don't want to move any further north than that again.

It's true the east side of WA is sunnier in summer, but it is also much colder and snowier in winter.
points taken - but redding? i keep reading it's becoming a cesspool, why there?

Old 06-14-2013, 01:22 AM

37,799 posts, read 41,000,307 times
I've never lived in any of those places. I'd pick Idaho. You couldn't pay me to live in California with their over-regulation, taxes, laws and high cost of living...and you know, Oregon has all of those serial killers and Washington has all of those vampires.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:47 AM

744 posts, read 1,091,320 times
Seattle or the Bay Area. I like hippies and hipsters. And you couldn't pay me enough to live in Idaho. But in all honestly, I prefer the east coast.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:31 AM

50 posts, read 101,663 times
I have been considering moving out West but I think I would miss the green that is East of the Mississippi. No, the PNW rainforests isn't the same green. I am talking thick lush forests. The other issue is air and water pollution. I was shocked at how few free flowing rivers there are in the PNW. For an area of the country that claims to be so progressive, they have the same environmental issues that are on the East coast.

There are more true hippies out East. The ones out West come off as hipster wannabe hippies.

The less of all evil is Idaho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.