Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would a smoking only bar/restaurant be successful?
Yes 17 53.13%
No 8 25.00%
Depends/Don't know 7 21.88%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 04:26 PM

850 posts, read 1,322,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
I'm only backpeadling to a certain extent. Personally I think it would be great if any child considering smoking viewed all smokers as lowlifes b/c it is a one way ticket to poor health and a painful death. I do believe, however, that the percentage of people who are smokers that are lowlifes is much higher than the population as a whole. That does not make every smoker a lowlife, however- and I do backpedal from that suggestion. Yes, a smoker only bar likely would appeal to some, but it would likely be a slightly rougher crowd. Self mutilation, which is what smoking is, is a lowlife activity even though some decent people engage in it. Some decent people also do heroin.
Except that smoking is legal. It is not an illegal drug. You're something. You want to teach children that just because a person indulges in a legal habit that that person is a lowlife? Talk about propagating prejudice. I guess you don't mind prejudice so long as it's not directed against you.
Unless you can show me some study which proves that people who smoke are bad people, you can't say anything. You're just talking through your personal belief, not through fact.
As to the workers, the employees have the choice of working there or not just as is was before the bans. They are not slaves. If they don't like it they can go to retail or something else. That's not a valid reason. It's not right to allow an activity like smoking and then turn around and corner smokers, especially when the government bans it on health reasons. Like I said before, if the government is actually concerned about its citizens, they'd just ban smoking entirely. The current system of banning is hypocritical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 06:48 PM

118 posts, read 206,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiru View Post
Except that smoking is legal. It is not an illegal drug. You're something. You want to teach children that just because a person indulges in a legal habit that that person is a lowlife? Talk about propagating prejudice. I guess you don't mind prejudice so long as it's not directed against you.
Right on, Kiru! Me thinks jakedog is a very prejudice man and needs to grow up. I believe, as I have said on other threads, a smoking only bar would be a great draw as long as it was posted as "smoking allowed" so the non smokers could avoid it.

What jakedog said about smokers (low lifes?)..........Laura Bush, Barack Obama, Arnold Schwarznegger, Bill Richardson, and there are many others. I guess smokers are just low lifes. I think this 'low life" has some good company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.